Speculative Vision Science Fiction and Fantasy scifi fantasy forum
    HOME | ART | FORUM | ARCADE | LIBRARY | NETWORK
Scifi and Fantasy Forum: Writer's Discussion: Problems with Writing: Annoying teachers...

Annoying teachers...

We have moved to new forum software and posting here is closed!

PLEASE BOOKMARK THE NEW FORUMS

Subtopic  Started By  Posts
Archive through Mar 29, 2004
Last Post: Apr 17, 2004, 05:34 am

Posted By: View Profile/ContactGnollslayer Mar 29, 2004 - 04:50 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

Every one of my English teachers has helped me immensely. And in different areas as well. I'd have to say that my Drama teacher has helped me the most with my writing. She knows how to get dialogue to come to life. Want to see how lucky I am, check this out.

Elementary school: Same teacher all the way through. She loved every genre, but always seemed to go for fantasy and sci-fi more. Her favorite aspect of writing was outlandish creativity. We even had an hour set aside each day for creativity where we made creatures out of clay, built towers, made board games, put on plays, etc. I really loved writing in her class.

Seventh grade: Another fantasy and sci-fi fan. She read "The Thief of Always" to the class. That is an awesome book. We also read "Salamandastron", which seemed cool back then. Her focus was always on characters. We did Venn diagrams comparing characters. We psycho-analyzed characters. We charted motivations, meanings of names, emotional flux, you name it. I had her as an English teacher again in 10th grade, though we didn't read any fantasy that year.

Eighth and Ninth Grade: Total description. She didn't like fantasy, but she did know great description. In this class I read the only book that has ever made me cry: "A Day No Pigs Would Die". We learned how to really work pathos and description into narratives.

Eleventh and Twelfth Grade: This guy actually likes to read essays more than anything and he abhorred sci-fi with a passion. He loathed fantasy. But he is, to put it in the words of a close friend, "...a hard-core rhetorician." Also, he helped me slay the passive voice in my writing. He also realized that I am a better writer than most of my classmates and graded me on an appropriately higher scale. He advised me to send some of my writing in for publication. The funny thing is, I think I might write better essays now than I do stories.

Yeah, I got really lucky in my public school experience.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactMagus Mar 29, 2004 - 05:36 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

My seventh grade teacher was really nice, but she didn't really do anything for me as a writer. I read A Day no Pigs Would Die in her class and liked it. We also read The Outsiders in her class. That just really blew my mind. Here was a girl who wrote this awsome story at the age of 13! I think this may have made me want to get published, or at least try to improve my writing. While she didn't really "do" anything for me I believe she set me up for my next english teacher, the one I told you about, which helped me alot.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactAldan Mar 30, 2004 - 09:43 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

I had only one public school English teacher which had an influence on me - my 12th grade advanced placement English teacher. He was a guy who was a little skewed, and loved to travel outside the US during the summertime. This man really taught me how to delve into my reading, and, because of this I was able to learn how to create depth in my WRITING.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactBattlepaw Mar 30, 2004 - 02:50 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

I was always an avid reader, people used to complain when I would check out whole series at a time, often I would leave my notebook at school and stuff my backpack with books. Then, around my freshmen year of high school I did a forum story with a bunch of friends. It wasn't until then that I found that I loved to write. I had always been given poems and writing assignments, But I never loved to do them.

I started my first book in the last semester of my Sophomore year and worked on it over the summer. When I went back to school the following year I took a creative writing class. Well, that was a mistake. It taught me structure, but not how to write, and the teacher never gave me any advice on my writing other then to correct my spelling errors. grrrr. Well, about a month later I was about to give up on my book and was in the Library puzzling over one of the chapters when one of my buddies suggested I ask the librarian if there where any book clubs, at school. That is how I met another English teacher, who actually gave me the best advice yet. "Don't give up"

It was because of him that I decided to keep writing, I thought at the time, my book was a pile of scrap paper only worthy of the shredder! He told me what to do to fix the problems, And about seven months later I started writing Exile with the new ideas in mind. Ex, How to keep the pace going without losing too much detail, and how to keep your reader's attention. I also learned how over-descriptive sentences can be fixed by the careful use of verbs. (which is the biggest mistake I made in my prior work) It was the first real useful help I got. The guy also started writing after I had been coming to get help for him for the whole year, and claims that my enthusiasm for writing is what spurred him onto writing his own work.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactTobias Apr 17, 2004 - 05:34 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

Teachers are nice, they give you grammar, spelling, poetry, style...and keep giving the exact same thing to you for all of thirteen years. Now, I have had a few good teachers in my time, but my seventh grade Language Arts teacher didn't know who BEN HUR was!

Though teachers do get you the basics, I found that as you advance in school, they just review the same stuff over, and over, and over, and over again. By the way, did you know that highschool diplomas, the product of those thirteen years of school are counting for less and less?

True, some teachers are good, but in general, I'm not impressed.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactSirJill Apr 18, 2004 - 10:52 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

Don't get me started!
I have a lang arts teacher right now who doesn't understand the concept of 'style'..just grammar. No fragments, hanging clauses...I want to...er, never mind. Let's just say I don't like the woman.

However, I have a wonderful Drama teacher! I wrote a ten minute screen play and she looked it over; told me exactly what I needed to know.

Jill

Posted By: View Profile/ContactQueen Ehlana Apr 24, 2004 - 10:58 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

"By the way, did you know that highschool diplomas, the product of those thirteen years of school are counting for less and less?"

Yeah... **shudders** It's really disgusting. Education doesn't make you more intelligent, unless it's when you're truly young. It just makes you more knowledgeable. In some fields that is important, but very often it's not. I find it really funny that people criticize celebrities for not finishing high school. Avril Lavigne, for example... School wasn't her thing; she was much better at singing. Should she have stayed in school rather than inspire the millions of people she's inspired? That would have been sheer stupidity on her part.

My English teacher this year is so boring. She hasn't taught me anything. The only thing I've learned in that class is a few vocabulary words. They might as well throw that into a different class. When we have to write stories with our vocabulary words, she doesn't expect us to be creative or anything, but just to write a paragraph or two and get the words in as few sentences as possible. Also, we were already in February or March, second bloody semester, before she realized she needed to explain something to more than half the stupid students in the "advanced" class about how to answer journal questions.

BUT, I've talked to my G.T. ("Gifted & Talented";) teacher, who also happens to be an English teacher and much better than the other, about G.T. next year. She said it's going to be a class called Independant Studies and suggested that I take that class next year in place of English 2. This means I could get my English credit by writing toward getting published the whole time, and I wouldn't have to worry about another cruddy English teacher! :D

Posted By: View Profile/ContactAldan Apr 25, 2004 - 09:08 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

It's a very good thing that you spoke to the GT teacher rather than just hoping for the best...
It sounds like the one you have this year is a person who's paid to teach, while the GT is a TEACHER.

Posted By: View Profile/Contact*_* fiery red *_* Aug 01, 2004 - 12:29 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

hahaha, try having a two hour english class with a woman who has an extremly annoying lip-twitch (this is the TWITCH of all twitches) and her favorite thing to read and write? educational essays. our school is so poor, our drama teacher is the drill team instructor, and a GT teacher is a dream/wish. I guess that's what i get for living in hickville/football-land/appalachia, usa. no, not west virginia..... maryland. thats right, there IS a state called maryland! homecoming is the highlight of the year, and one of my best friends still thought bill clinton was president.

wow, GT instead of english 2. . . . let me imagine for a moment. . .. wow. nope, im once again stuck in honors english 2 with a teacher who is usually hungover most the time anyway.what. a. life. you see, they do nothing to try to help the over achievers here, you cant even take french class the same year as any advanced math because it just doesnt work. like they want to discourage us from doing well and being smart. sucks major.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactQueen Ehlana Aug 01, 2004 - 12:51 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

Hehehe... School is going to suck this year, which starts in two weeks. We used to have a block schedule in middle and high school where we had four classes each day and two types of days: A-days and B-days. Each class lasted for 90 minutes. After my 6th grade year, they switched the middle school to a 9 classes per day schedule, which didn't work out too well... So they changed it back to 8 classes but put them all in one day. Now they are doing the same for high school, and I used to have more homework than my brother when I was in middle school and he was in high school, so this is going to be the worst yet. All of the teachers are going to rush us and give us homework for every single class every night, we have to start school early for band because there's not enough time in a class, and I won't be able to do my homework in the morning if I fall asleep doing it at night. :P Also, we lose one class because one of the eight classes goes to "advisory" which is a pointless class used for passing out papers and supposedly for doing homework, though no one uses it for that. All of the teachers complain that it's a useless class, but the board won't listen to them. So we lose an elective, which ruins our entire plans that we had to make the years before.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactMagus Aug 02, 2004 - 05:14 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

With my high school there are two campusses. One is the Freshman Campus (made in the 1800's, no Air conditioning, made with really strange iontersections, 3 stories high) and a campus for the rest of them (made only a few years ago, air conditioning, real spread out feel with only 1 floor). I remember at the Freshman campus we had an A/B day schedule. The only classes that changed, though, were Tech survey (Business, Applied Technolagy, Family and Consumer Science, ... and I can't remember the fourth one.) and P.E. At the other campus we don't have block classes, and subsequently lose 1 period. But the teachers don't seem to be complaining bout it. Lunch is 1/2 a period and the other half is a studyhall. Hopefully I'll get into a better band, they get to skip studyhall and instead just use that time for band.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactQueen Ehlana Aug 02, 2004 - 05:23 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

That's not fair. :P Band just takes over school for me rather than school compromising. So it's the students who have to do all the compromising.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactMrD Oct 18, 2004 - 02:57 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

my English teacher for A level Language and Literature is "cool" (OMG, i said that word!)

she is almost 40 but dresses and holds herself like 10 years younger, her hairdresser actually thought she was a pole dancer, not an english teacher.

she encourages with a smile, willing to help out people having any problems, although she works far too hard and too many hours without proper breaks (i'm surprised her voice lasts the day out!)

she is an influence on my love of english, more people need teachers like mine and they'd feel happier in their writing

Posted By: View Profile/ContactMagus Oct 18, 2004 - 04:22 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

I have an English teacher that treats us like we're all little toddlers. She talks EXACTLY like Janice, that's the real kicker. People shouldn't be able to talk like that, at least without trying to.

While she has given me plenty of great ideas for when I become an English teacher I really do dislike her. Even my parents think that she has more that just one screw loose.

I don't want to get into too much detail, but she's more or less certifiable. LOL

Posted By: View Profile/ContactKevin Oct 18, 2004 - 06:53 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

My english teacher is IMPOSSIBLE! She almost never gives "A's." The highest mark she's ever given by report card time is 90%! I only just manage to keep an "A" with 86%!

Posted By: View Profile/ContactGnollslayer Oct 18, 2004 - 08:06 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

My new English teacher this year has a fetish with death and murder. She made us write an essay about killing someone. And we had to read our stories out loud. I take every assignment seriously, so naturally mine was the most disturbing. I think everyone else is afraid of me now.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactMagus Oct 19, 2004 - 12:28 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

LOL You can count us among them.

I had a Biology teacher last year who had a fetish with the huhman spleen.

Posted By: View Profile/ContactQueen Ehlana Oct 21, 2004 - 08:33 pm Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

"She almost never gives "A's." The highest mark she's ever given by report card time is 90%!"

Sounds like my would-be English teacher. :D All of the advanced students in my grade have her... except for me. My rival for valedictorian is the only one making an A in her class with a 90. Meanwhile I am making a 95 in Independant Studies where I'm working on my novel (my grade was my six weeks exam which was to write a persuasive essay over what my grade should be in that class). But I don't feel sorry for anyone in that woman's class because my brother had her and made mid-A's. My brother has the magical power of persuasion, though, so he cheated. :P My only regret is that I wonder if I'd be making an A in that class.

I thought my I.S. teacher was going to help me with my writing since he happens to be an English teacher, but so far the only thing he's given me a feedback on was about the formatting of a poem. **rolls eyes**

Posted By: View Profile/ContactAthalia Oct 22, 2004 - 10:09 am Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page/Submit ReplyRight click to create a link to this message  Search for posts by this user

my brit lit prof in college sucks. i realllly don't like him
He is subjective and boring and stuffy. and yeah, i got an A but it's BORING.

my lingusitics teacher, is cool, a bit melodramatic, but she is cool.

Add a Message

Username: You must be a registered user to post messages to this topic.
Create a Profile
Password:

sci-fi and fantasy forum menu

Discussion
Main Topics
List All Topics

Search
By Date
By Keywords

Speculative Vision Science Fiction and Fantasy © 1996 - 2001 Brad Richardson. All rights reserved.
privacy policy