A new book - and scrapping of an old?
   Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 am
About....home-made maps?
   Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 am

Friends

Search Blogs

The Epos of the Soul Crystal

Permanent Linkby Loxley on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Yes, yes, I've finally started my outlining of the book, and the intended series have finally been named. As has the first book. I give you, "The Creotian War".

I've so far outlined prologue and chapter one. Still WAYS to go and currently stuck. I'll work it out. I daresay, however, this version of the "original Everlain story" is MUCH better than the one I had in mind the first time around. Mainly because that one sounded like some fantasy cliché, while this one sounds like a fantasy version of the Trojan Wars. 8) Well, anyways, this one has a much better feel to it as well than the original story, and I think I really needed to let that idea rest for a few years before it was ripe enough to get written.

In that aspect, the book I wrote in the Everlain world served a two-fold purpose (even if it wasn't intended as such in the beginning). Firstly, it gave me experience with writing a book while the Big Number was ripening and waiting to become ready to be written. And secondly, it allowed me to develop a part of Everlain that I hadn't so far developed; the dark elven societies. Of course, in the end, the dark elven society turned into something like the Roman Empire, but nonetheless I dare say it's a society in its own merit as well. Of course, it still needs developing, and I'm not sure I'll get the chance to, nor have the tools do so within this series of books I'm planning.

Also, in regard to that, originally the Everlain series, now dubbed the Epos of the Soul Crystals, was intended as a trilogy. I feel now, however, that I should make it a series of five books rather than three. I've got no logic behind it, no particular reason, just a gut feeling, and so I shall do just that.

The hero's background story has also developed under the last few days. There is more reason behind the self-imposed exile in the Borderlands between the free lands and the land of the dark elves, that he lives in, now. Without revealing too much, I might say that he suffers from some pretty heavy and unjustified guilt, and it's secretly tearing him apart. I have a thing for strong heroes that struggle with internal turmoil. :wink:

Lastly, there is another aspect that my previous written book served to help me with. I've come to realize that while the hero, Arden Greyhamn, will always be the main character in the book series, he will not be the hero in all of them. He will be in the first book, for sure. But in the second book, his part in the series will be limited to character development, and somebody else will step up to fill the role of "hero" instead. He will still take up a major part of the story, of course.

This is something I couldn't have done a few years ago, but this is what I have to do because this series demands it, that is, to take my favorite character, and let him step down from the role as hero, and leave it to someone else to save the world. And yes, the series will be better for it.

Well, enough rant for today.

I'm thinking of relocating blogging to my old blog, My Rest A Stone, originally intended for another book project I was working on. I might do that, but then I'll leave a message here or somesuch.

Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
 3 Comments Viewed 17340 times

Comments  

Re: The Epos of the Soul Crystal

Permanent Linkby The Master on Wed May 05, 2010 6:08 pm

This sounds really good Loxley. Have you made more progress?
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)

Permanent Linkby Loxley on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey, man. I suck at keeping updated in regard to my blogs. Sorry. :(

As for progress, I'm in some sort of weird slump. Sometimes I have spurts of creativity, and others I just can't write for *beep*. Right now, the book is pretty much on ice, but there's no telling when I might get back to working on it. ;)

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
USER_AVATAR
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Permanent Linkby Loxley on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:35 pm

And just by reading my own blog post, I now feel the urge to get back to writing on it. I'm so fickle. Hahahaha. :lol:

Loxley's blog

USER_AVATAR
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)