speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Blog Stats
188Total Entries
78Total Comments

Search Blogs

Feed Random Blog Entries  

Unusual by Qray on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:36 am
It's not in my nature to post "woe is me," kind of stuff. However, some of you may have noticed that I was gone for a while. Suffice to say, things are going real bad for me at the moment and due to monetary problems, I was without Internet access. Hopefully things turn around and I can stay online now.

Thanks to all those that inquired as to what had happened to me.

Prost.

0 Comments Viewed 4146 times

Letter from to my mother, Christmas, 2008 by Bmat on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:39 am
12/20/2008 10:09 AM

Dear Mom,

I was sitting here thinking of Christmas gifts and the best that I had ever given or been given.

I think the best that I was ever given was the hope chest that you gave me the Christmas after my engagement. I was totally amazed and pleased. I remember that I cried. It was a gift not only of a nice wooden storage chest, but it symbolized the future of my life and all that it might hold. Thinking of the gift still brings tears to my eyes.

The second best gift that I ever received was also from you. Remember the doll whose mouth moved when she said “Mama?” She was the prettiest doll I had ever seen and I wanted her so much. I think I must have been about 8 at the time. But I knew she was expensive and that it was unlikely that I’d get her. But there she was on Christmas morning! I still have her. In the hope chest as it turns out.

These are the material gifts that stand out in my mind. Both from you and Dad. But upon thinking of the gifts that were the “...

[ Continued ]

1 Comment Viewed 5701 times

January reading by starweaver on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:24 am
Books:
**** The Other Wind by Ursula K. LeGuin

Stories:
**** "Sweetly the Dragon Dreams" by David Farland
*** "The Tile Setters" by Ami Chopine
***** "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang
**** "The Last and Only or Mr. Moscowitz Becomes French" by Peter S. Beagle
*** "Prime Time" by Douglas Texter
**** "The Sun God at Dawn, Rising from a Lotus Blossom" by Andrea Kail
*** "The Frozen Sky" by Jeff Carlson
** "The Absence of Stars" (Part One) by Greg Siewert
** "Trunk and Disorderly" by Charles Stross
*** "The Texas Bake Sale" by Charles Coleman Finlay
***** "The Stone Cipher" by Tony Pi
***** "Dance of Shadows" by Fred Chappell
***** "The Robot Sorceror" by Eric James Stone
*** "The Gnomes Are Coast Guards" by Chantel Tattoli
***** "Shadow of the Valley" by Fred Chappell

My ratings:
***** excellent: memorable, satisfying, a...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 1866 times

You really do not know by Talon Sinnah on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 pm
I have noticed something about myself since I have been back online at SV. I do not stress as much and I do not have that feeling of being alone whenever I talk about writing or think about my stories I had for about a year. I always know that no matter what I still have the same old group to come to at SV who are understanding about my everyday life and my writing problems. My advice to any new member is stay on the site and make use of the forum, these people will help you you no end and will be their for you even through the worst writers block.

0 Comments Viewed 11964 times

Anybody for World Superbike Racing? by Qray on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:02 am
Anybody following World Superbike racing?

This week's races in Qatar were incredible. A three way battle between Spies, Haga, and Biaggi in both races. With the American Spies taking both wins on his Yamaha. I know it's a bit early to be talking about it, but could it be possible that an American could win the championship as a rookie? A World Superbike rookie, that is. Spies already has 3 AMA Superbikes championships.

0 Comments Viewed 4231 times