+ December 2008
+ September 2008
Friends

Search Blogs

Letter from to my mother, Christmas, 2008

Permanent Linkby Bmat on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:39 am

12/20/2008 10:09 AM

Dear Mom,

I was sitting here thinking of Christmas gifts and the best that I had ever given or been given.

I think the best that I was ever given was the hope chest that you gave me the Christmas after my engagement. I was totally amazed and pleased. I remember that I cried. It was a gift not only of a nice wooden storage chest, but it symbolized the future of my life and all that it might hold. Thinking of the gift still brings tears to my eyes.

The second best gift that I ever received was also from you. Remember the doll whose mouth moved when she said “Mama?” She was the prettiest doll I had ever seen and I wanted her so much. I think I must have been about 8 at the time. But I knew she was expensive and that it was unlikely that I’d get her. But there she was on Christmas morning! I still have her. In the hope chest as it turns out.

These are the material gifts that stand out in my mind. Both from you and Dad. But upon thinking of the gifts that were the “best” I realize that my heart overflows with gratitude and love for all the Christmases that you gave me. The incredible food, the decorations, the good cheer and laughter and love. You were the pivoting point of all of this. It was due to your tireless work, your planning, your buying and fixing and preparing, your arranging, that we had such memorable times.

You showed us what Christmas should and could be like, and you provided the model for us to follow when planning our own holidays when we were on our own.

For my hope chest, for my pretty doll, for all the Christmases and all the gifts both material and immaterial, I thank you.

With hugs and love,

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure.
 1 Comment Viewed 5871 times

Comments  

Re: Letter from to my mother, Christmas, 2008

Permanent Linkby Ariel on Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:53 pm

That was so touching B'mat. I enjoyed reading this entry.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)