+ December 2008
+ September 2008
Friends

Search Blogs

Feed
Next

A Few Words about My Cat Chewie

Permanent Linkby Bmat on Wed May 11, 2016 8:01 pm

I had to have Chewie euthanized Monday, May 9, 2016. She was almost 14.

Chewie was rescued from some children who were throwing stones at her when she was only a week or so old. My son rescued her and kept her in a shoe box for a few weeks, she was that tiny. He came home from work every today to dropper feed her. He brought her to me when she had her neutering surgery, and she cuddled on my shoulder. I knew he wanted me to adopt her, and I did.

We named her Chewie because that's what she liked to do. She chewed my computer cords, destroying my speaker cords, and causing damage to the other cords, which we wrapped in tape.

Chewie was always the alpha cat without even trying. We had other cats at the same time, and they knew to keep their distance. Chewie was also alpha, in a way, of her humans. She would tolerate some gentle petting, but if it wasn't what she felt like tolerating at the time, she would swipe with her claws, and even reach out as the human moved away to enforce don't...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 2580 times

A Wake for Mark

Permanent Linkby Bmat on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:15 am

My youngest sister's husband, Mark, died in May, 2015, of COPD. He was 60.

I did not see as much of Mark and my sister as I would have liked during the time they were married, since her back problems had become so severe it is difficult for her to ride in a car. The memories I have of Mark are that he was gentle and with a sweet sense of humor. He was a pleasure to talk with during family occasions.

Mark and Carol had known he was dying. He discussed donation of his body to a medical school and the arrangements for a memorial time for him. He wanted his friends and family to get together in a park near their home, have a picnic and talk about him for a few minutes, then enjoy themselves.

The gathering, (I call it a wake,) was October 10, 2015. There were about 40 people there, which is what Carol expected. The park is in a beautiful location with pavilions and tables and benches. Mark's brother talked about growing up with Mark. Several of Mark's hiking and camping friends also spoke....

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 976 times

RIP Bobby

Permanent Linkby Bmat on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 am

We got Bobby from a Pennsylvania animal adoption organization. Our son picked up Bobby and his cage mate, Buddy, for us, and we drove up to his house to pick up the 6 month old kittens. Bobby had been found in a parking lot and taken to the shelter. Bobby was a charcoal colored Manx. He was a frightened cat all of his 4 years of life. He and I bonded, and I was the only one he would come to. When extended family troubles took me away from home frequently, the wetting outside the litter box started. We had a number of tests run, and no physical cause could be found. We tried two kinds of calming medications, but gave up on the second because Bobby could not be caught to give it to him. The wetting got worse. I bought a pheromone collar, but the second day he had it on, it got caught in his mouth and cut him, so we took him immediately over to the vet. The vet treated him for cuts, and I brought up about the wetting all over the house. The vet had previously said that this would be reasonable...

[ Continued ]

1 Comment Viewed 8470 times

RIP Sammy

Permanent Linkby Bmat on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:00 am

I am sad to report that Sammy died last night. He was having trouble breathing in the evening, but when we checked about midnight he seemed more comfortable. This morning he was gone, I suspect heart, which is what the vet had predicted. The vet had given him about 6 weeks, and we had him for 6 more months, so that was something. Sammy used up his nine lives- he was found near an empty house in a box with other kittens, and he was the only one who survived. He broke a leg when he was a few months old and had a pin put in it. He died on the operating table getting his teeth cleaned, but they brought him back after working on him for some time. When his heart threw a clot 6 months ago the vet said that was it, but three days later he was still alive, so the vet said bring him in on Friday and we'd do what needed to be done, and on Thursday night he perked up. A couple weeks ago, Sam was struggling to breathe, but he pulled through it. This time he didn't.

Image...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 3198 times

Sammy is looking better

Permanent Linkby Bmat on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:12 am

Today Sammy greeted me in the morning, well, actually asked for treats, but this is still progress. He has been walking around instead of just lying in his cave, so I am thinking he may have pulled through again. :)

0 Comments Viewed 31421 times