+ December 2009
+ July 2009
+ May 2009
+ March 2009
+ December 2008

Search Blogs

I bought a light bulb

Permanent Linkby who me on Sat May 09, 2009 7:41 am

I went out and bought light bulbs today. I know my life is infanatly exiting isnt it.

the reason I bought light bulbs was that the light bulb in my room burnd out.
that and the EU in its infanate wisom had desided to bann the light bulb, and replace them with Energy-saving light bulbs.
Energy-saving light bulbs SUCK!
first off they give off a terrible light.
The Energy-saving light bulbs bulbs cost 10 euro or more, and the normal light bulb a few cents.
the mith that the Energy-saving light bulbs last longer is a pile of rubbish, they may last a little longer than a normal light bulb, but I have had to replace enuff to know that they do not last. at least not as long as promised and not long enuff to justify the price oh and
Energy-saving light bulbs give off a terrible light.

I think am going to bunker all the light bulbs I can.

5 Comments Viewed 17692 times

Comments  

Re: I bought a light bulb

Permanent Linkby Dark Knight on Sat May 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Your right they give off a terrible light, in NZ the peroius Goverment brought in a ban on incandescent light bulbs, this was due to the fact that they had to deal with the Green Party {Not really a green party they just like to think they are}. The New government has lifted the ban.
Last edited by Dark Knight on Sun May 10, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Permanent Linkby Qray on Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 am

I agree with you, pim on them sucking.

The light that compact fluorescents put out is dimmer that incandescent bulbs.

Compact fluorescents cost more to produce and create a larger detrimental impact on the enviornment during production than incandescent bulbs.

Compact fluorescents are around 22% (on the best day) efficent compared to an incandescent at 10%. Since compact fluorescents cost so much more to make, it's said that the cost savings in using them is the energy used. This only comes into play if the compact fluorescent last as long as they're suppose to, but like you said, pim. They don't. In fact a compact fluorescent that's switched on and off frequently will have a lifespan that's shorter than a less expensive incandescent lamp.

Then there's the issue of what to do with the compact fluorescent once it no longer works. Unlike an incandescent bulb, you can't just throw it away. "The disposal of phosphor and particularly the toxic mercury in the tubes is an environmental issue. Governmental regulations in many areas require special disposal of fluorescent lamps separate from general and household wastes. For large commercial or industrial users of fluorescent lights, recycling services are available in many nations, and may be required by regulation. In some areas, recycling is also available to consumers. The need for a recycling infrastructure is an issue with instituting proposed bans of incandescent bulbs."

So basically, government (and others) want everyone to use a product that cost more and is more damaging to the enviornment to save energy to help the enviornment???

Why don't they just come up with a cost effective, enviornmentally friendly way to produce energy instead? I wonder which of the poloticians and environmentalists own stock in the Fluorescent lamp companies.

Fluorescents have their place in the home, such as a basement or garage, but it's my house, I pay the bills, I will decided what kind of bulbs to put in it.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Permanent Linkby who me on Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 am

light bulb smuggeling, crime wave of the future?
USER_AVATAR
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Cheeseburgers, chocolate, and light bulbs.

Permanent Linkby Qray on Sat May 16, 2009 12:05 am

Welcome to the Revolution, pim. :mrgreen:
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Permanent Linkby Merle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Pim, if you stockpile lightbulbs, the environmental police will arrest you.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Blog: View Blog (0)