speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Anyone know any good books on how to write? lol

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Anyone know any good books on how to write? lol

Postby Bookseeker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:01 am

Hey folk. I'm legally blind, and as such I can only read so many books and articles. I haven't been able to read much of either for years, and yet it's so crucial to do so if you want to be published. I'm at such a disadvantage not being able to do this. So, what I'm hoping is that someone can recommend a really good, well reputed book that deals with writing horror and fantasy, my favored genres. Even if it's just a collection of great articles that give advice on these genres. Any help would be much appreciated.
Bookseeker
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Anyone know any good books on how to write? lol

Postby berry » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 am

I don't have any recommendations for a particular genre but these three books have helped me shape my ideas, helped me plot and improved my characters.

Monkeys with typewriters - Scarlett Thomas. Great for generating ideas and plotting. runs a degreelevel writing course so has useful exercises in too.

Stein on writing - Sol Stein - Great for explaining those things that people always tell you but don't tell you how to do. ie show don't tell.
and telling you what editors like and don't like. As he is a very successful one he knows what he talking about.

On writing - Steven king - Great for making you believe you can do it. Handy tips and interesting autobiographical stuff too.

Hope you get inspired by them. I certainly did.
Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
berry
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Return to Guidelines for Writing