speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The End?

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Magus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:21 pm

I think another reason for my lack of sequels and follow-ups is the generally short life-expectancy found among my protagonists.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:52 am

Yeah I had planned to leave it at one but the more I wrote the bigger the story was and the more problems my protagonist found and I found that it would be to large for just one book to be(in my opinion.) So that is when I decided to do it in three with a few side stories to go along with it.

Aldan maybe you could post some of it on the site? We may be able to help you.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: The End?

Postby mikep » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 am

(I'm writing on a Kindle, so sorry if the post seems disjointed.)

For me, the ending of a story will tie in with the theme that you're exploring--which is why you should have a firm grasp of the theme before you write.

Example:

You want to explore the theme of, say, overcoming inherited hatred. So you have a story about a guy who has been taught to hate since childhood. (Those big bad Goobligozz aliens from Planet Chedu are pigs, Dad always said!)

You want the protagonist to overcome this hatred, so the first thing to do is figure out the climax. Let's say the story is about the protagonist having to rescue a Goobligozz. The story starts out with him landing his ship in the alien's vacinity, but something happens--the engine malfunctions--forcing him and the alien to survive together. The protagonist will start of hating, then things will happen that make him reassess his beliefs, then the climax will happen--during which the protagonist will have his epiphany* (his "aha" moment) where he realizes how wrong he was--then he'll save the alien, then they'll have a corny friendship moment, then. . . it's over.

*Often times, it's the epiphany that leads to the climax.

In summary, the theme implies the direction and resolution of a story, and the climax is the fulcrum around which the character changes.

Which is really the whole point of a story, isn't it?
mikep
Just Registered
Just Registered

Previous

Return to Guidelines for Writing