speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Guidelines For Writing Spy Stories?

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Guidelines For Writing Spy Stories?

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:04 pm

I'm very interested in writing a spy intrigue novel. To be more exact, I'd call it a psychedelic spy mystery set in the near future. I've had the idea with me for almost 10 years now, and I know and love the main character. I know the style and feel of the story, and I see detailed images of some of the scenes. Trouble is, I know so little about spy networks, politics, crime analysis and investigation. I've read some books on the Canadian secret service, but I'm not confident with that knowledge alone. My main source of inspiration/research, in terms of spy networks and such details, can't be from James Bond novels! :roll:

Could anyone help me with tips, ideas or maybe some guidelines on writing a spy mystery?? What should you do, or not do, when writing this sort of thing?
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:15 am

No James Bond? Well, there goes my suggestion of you boning up on your Ian Flemming.

Well, what kind of organizations do you want? The Taliban? Something else? I'd say just research the organization itself through news articles and wikipedia and the like. Other than that, I have very little suggestions, as I've not read any, nor plan to write any. Which reminds me... I have some Ian Flemming to catch up on.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:12 pm

Yeah Flemming was really good, I agree. I'd just hate for him to be my ownly inspiration, in terms of spy organizations and stuff.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:56 pm

Current events can help you with secret organizations.

:wink:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Re: Guidelines For Writing Spy Stories?

Postby reecehiggins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:31 am

A really easy trap for spy authors to fall into is making the spy less skilled than he ought to be, or more skillful. The spy who dependably loses would be dead well before the begin of the story. He ought to be brilliant enough not to venture on the notorious dry twig. Then again, a spy who dependably wins loses that pressure that I said -which makes the novel exhausting.
reecehiggins
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Guidelines For Writing Spy Stories?

Postby Bmat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:08 am

reecehiggins wrote:A really easy trap for spy authors to fall into is making the spy less skilled than he ought to be, or more skillful. The spy who dependably loses would be dead well before the begin of the story. He ought to be brilliant enough not to venture on the notorious dry twig. Then again, a spy who dependably wins loses that pressure that I said -which makes the novel exhausting.

This is a good point. There should be some question about whether the spy will succeed. But, on the other hand, I prefer happy endings, depending on what I am reading.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Guidelines for Writing