speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Book Promotion

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby shadowbooks » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Outside of myspace and into the real world I heard a very funnt marketing idea - making books marks (not an original idea) but going into book shops and placing books marks in the pages of similar titles to your own - I thought that was very funny and cleaver but I am not sure if its morally sound! Ha, made me smile though
shadowbooks
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 pm

That's actually not a bad idea, from my point of view. I mean, all you're doing is throwing in a free item into a book that most readers will find benmeficial. And if they happen to check out the title it advertises... who's hurt? You get some money and they get a thouroughly enjoyable book to read.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby shadowbooks » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:16 am

I agree - I think it is a novel idea - haha, accidental pun
shadowbooks
New User
New User

Postby aldan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:41 pm

The main problems that I can see with it are as follows: First, many bookstores won't be fine with you putting them in the books they're selling, since that would imply (truly or not) that the bookstore is pushing you as an author or your book more than those of other authors, which could lead to some publishers having fits. Second, speaking of publishers, those other publishers would not be happy at all with you doing that and may even sue you or your publisher for it.

Believe me, even if they lost the suit against you, it'd cost you more than it'd be worth.

Oh, and your publisher wouldn't be happy with you causing the problems with other publishers, either, most likely, since it'd reflect back on them.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah... true... but it would still be pretty funny all the same.

8)
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby shadowbooks » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:41 am

What about eBooks as promotional tools? I read an article about how Baen books often releases free ebooks of the first books in a series in order to get readers hooked. I have just tried something like this myself - I recently wrote a prequel novella to my current series which I have put up as an ebook on my myspace blog - I haven't had much of a chance to promote it yet but the feedback so far has been fantastic.

I released two novel excerpts whih have had great feedback and driven sales but fingers crossed a free ebook prequel will really get people intrigued in the series,

Let me know what you think,

Darren
shadowbooks
New User
New User

Postby shadowbooks » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Quick update on the free ebook - I launched it on a number of unusual formats including Nintendo Wii, DS, Sony PS3 and PSP and Apple iPod which has generated alot of interest for me now - which is a bonus!

Prequel or free ebooks certainly appear to be a valuable tool
shadowbooks
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Awesome! Good luck hun! :D :cheers:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Scriven » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:43 pm

Bookmarks: I did promotional work for a company that had a partnership with Borders and I can tell you its not easy to get permission to do any kind of marketing in their stores. Its all soo corporate now they have to get corporate blessing for everything, so I would say better not try for fear of offending a major book seller. Indy stores would probably be much more willing to help promote you.

You Tube: A number of writers have put up "Trailers" for their books on Youtube. Don't know how useful it is to drive sales though.

eBooks: No one reads eBooks.
I run a blog covering publishing and writing with a huge slant toward Fantasy and Sci Fi.

http://firstfolio.blogspot.com
Scriven
New User
New User

Postby Bmat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Scriven wrote:...

Really?! I don't, but I didn't know that this was true in general. So those portable readers that I saw for sale a few years back, and that I pondered buying because they would be less to carry on vacation than a handfull of paper books, are not something to think about buying, would you say? I can't picture myself sitting in front of my computer and reading a book that I downloaded, either. It is much more comfortable to relax in a comfortable chair and read.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Scriven » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:16 am

Bmat wrote:
Scriven wrote:...

Really?! I don't, but I didn't know that this was true in general.

Everything I've ever seen on eBooks is that the represent less than one percent of all books sold and a fraction of a percent when it comes to total revenue
I run a blog covering publishing and writing with a huge slant toward Fantasy and Sci Fi.

http://firstfolio.blogspot.com
Scriven
New User
New User

Postby clknaps » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:42 am

All great tips, I appreciate reading them.
I personally don't use myspace buy stepdaughter does and she loves it. I always thought I was a bit too *ahem* dated for that crowd, but I could be wrong.
Has anyone had a successful book signing or book reading? Personally I think the idea of reading my work aloud to group of strangers a little daunting, but I've heard it can be quite successful.
There are two other techniques I've heard are successful-
Local bookstores are usually always willing to feature a local author, go in and introduce yourself, you might wind up with a book signing to boot.
Send copies of your novel to your old college, high school, jr high, etc, and let them know that someone who graduated from their school has published a book. If it's appropriate (the book isn't adult-themed or something) they might put up a display in the school library featuring you...

Hope these helped! CLK
She sells seashells by the seashore.
Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
I shot the city sheriff.
clknaps
Site Regular
Site Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guidelines for Writing