speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Ending It - High Stakes? Different for Coming of Age story?

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Ending It - High Stakes? Different for Coming of Age story?

Postby eleika » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:34 am

Perhaps this is a form of procrastination on my part - I'm less than half a chapter from finishing my novel. I'm currently writing the end.

I have two main characters, and both get "caught up" in big things in the last chapter. In both cases, they finally choose to act rather than holding back - and they each succeed as a result.

I'm just wondering - how high do the stakes need to be? How much resistance should characters encounter at the end? Is it enough that they take action? This novel isn't just about defeating the bad guy - as I've written it I've realized it's also a coming-of-age story, in its own way. There is still a story there about all the magical stuff they have to do, but in the end, it's very much about two sixteen-year-olds figuring out what they want to do with their lives.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Arcadia » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:38 am

It sounds wonderful, Eleika!

Perhaps there could be two obstacles overcome. A major obstacle and a smaller personal one. Either overcoming the major obstacle makes the character realize that the personal obstacle is easily handled. Or the smaller personal obstacle being overcome shows the way to handle the major obstacle.

It might be interesting, since you have the two characters, to do both of the above, one with each character.
Arcadia
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby aldan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:21 pm

Really, elei, I think that it depends upon the way you've developed your characters, as far as how far you may need to go with it.

If you have created, for example, a character who is rather shallow and self-centered, then that character wouldn't need as much of a big solution to help the reader to feel the character really has progressed. However, if the character is more self-less and thoughtful, then when you create the situation and solution, it can go either way, since if the person is self-less but the solution only involves him/herself, then it wouldn't need to be big, since the character pretty much never does things that are self-focused. If, on the other hand, the solution DOES involve others, then it will NEED to be large, since otherwise it'd just be like all of the previous situations the same character had been in.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby eleika » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:36 pm

Well ... I finished! A week ago. (I was away at Camp betwen now and then.)

Right now, I'm going to leave it for a bit while I catch up on books I've wanted to read but put off. Meanwhile, friends are reading it, so by the time I'm ready to sit down with it again (I'm going to give it another week or two) I'll be able to ask for feedback.
Eleika's Stuff: www.eleika.com
Rants and Reviews: http://delirium.nightgig.com
eleika
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Scriven » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:41 pm

I don't think there are any excuses for a low stake story, sure the world isn't going to come to an end, but that doesn't mean your teenager's world can't be threatened.

I think the more drama you can realistically add to the end of a story the stronger your story will become.
I run a blog covering publishing and writing with a huge slant toward Fantasy and Sci Fi.

http://firstfolio.blogspot.com
Scriven
New User
New User

Return to Guidelines for Writing