speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Synopsis for series?

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Synopsis for series?

Postby Weaver » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi,

I am new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I am just finishing up with the first book in a trilogy. I wanted to know how to approach the synopsis since I haven't written the other two books yet. My guess is that I need to cover the entire trilogy when I submit this initial volume. There doesn't seem to be much information out there on how to approach this particular circumstance, so any information would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Addison Weaver
Weaver
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby RHFay » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Gary Wassner pops by here every now and again, and he might have a different view based on his experience, but I've always read that you shouldn't stress the fact that your book is one of a series, at least at first. I think you may be better off dealing with a synopsis for just the first book. Might it be difficult to create a synopsis for a work that hasn't even been written yet?

Is there any way that volume one could be seen to stand on its own? You may be better off trying to get the first book to stand on it's own merits, instead of forcing the series aspect.

Again, this is just what I've seen. Others may have different advice.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:57 pm

I agree with RHfay, I to have heard that its best to just go with your first book and I agree that it would be pretty hard to write a synopsis for other books that have yet to be written.

I would also consider what RHfay suggested, can your book stand alone by itself? If so you can always slide the others in after the fact.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Forever Zero » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:12 pm

You have to look at your book as something individual. Despite it being a part of a series, it still needs to be complete on its own as well; no one likes a cliffhanger, especially with novels because it takes a long time for the next installment to be written. So if the book can't stand alone despite being part of a trilogy, you might need to give it another look. If it can, you can just write a synopsis for that book alone; the rest of the series can come out later. You don't want to reveal something about the next book when the reader won't know when the next book is gonna come.
So it shall be written, and so it shall be done.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Return to Guidelines for Writing