speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Lulu.com anyone?

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Lulu.com anyone?

Postby Starfire » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Has anyone here done any self publishing? I just found out some of my young cousins have published books and even have them on Amazon.

I can remember the days when self publishing was really hard and you have to get the forms your self and do a lot of work and pay a lot of money to self publish. Now it is just a few mouse clicks and your done.

I also remember going to conventions trying to get picked up by comic book companies. Now I can just go around them and go to distributors myself.

People today have so much control it is almost scary!
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby RHFay » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Lulu is an option, but keep in mind you would have to do all your own editing and such. Often times self-published books appear amatuerish because of the lack of proper editing. Having someone else tighten and tweak the work may help the end product look more professional. And there may still be a bit of a stigma associated with self-publishing.

You will also have to do all your own self-promotion. Of course, you have to do the majority of self-promotion in a lot of cases anyway, but just keep it in mind when considering self-publishing.

When I started to discuss the possibility of publishing a chapbook or collection of my poetry, Lulu was suggested as one of the options. One of the editors I've worked with, who is also a publisher, said I could either go the Lulu route, or publish through her company. I opted to go with the traditional publisher.

Lulu is certainly an option, but I would look into more traditional routes to publication first.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Starfire » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 am

I know what your saying. The traditional route seems to have it's drawbacks too. I have spoken to authors at various Borders events and they say that is very hard to make money. The publisher can negotiate whatever they want. On top of that these author have to go sit at a table outside of Borders to sell their book anyway.

I have been a bit removed from my creative writing self and am looking into a knitting book. I can publish myself and sell it. There are also ways to register on media lists. These are places the media can look when they need to consult an "expert". Being a perceived expert can do a lot. Look how many people write books and have no authority or credentialsand still write books. Joyce Meyer writes books on all kind of things. She once even bragged about her lack of credentials. People buy her books because she in a minister. Never mind if she is not a doctor or a PHD, they believe her.

I plan to just get out there. If other people can be successful at being perceived experts, I can too!
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Guidelines for Writing