speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

synopsis query

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

synopsis query

Postby pixibubbles » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:49 am

So I'm at that oh so fun stage- but what exactly is a "short synopsis" when we're talking fantasy?

Some have specified at one page (I'm assuming this isn't double spaced) and one even asked for a paragraph (Ugh- nervous gulp). But a lot just say a synopsis. so how long can I get away with do you think? Two pages single spacing? Three?

Also- when they ask for an SAE- one enough to return everything, or just the anticipated rejection (but hopefully not!) letter?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions- but I gotta ask somewhere lol

thanks in advance x
pixibubbles
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: synopsis query

Postby Bmat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:40 pm

http://www.fictionfactor.com/articles/synopsis.html

This seems to be a good summary of how to write a synopsis. It doesn't address short synopsis directly, but for synopsis it says 2-3 pages, so I think a short synopsis would be less than that. The article recommends the same format as your manuscript, double space, plain type- nothing fancy, margins. Be sure to have a hook to catch the reader's eye.don't make statements such as the author is the next Stephen King. Don't ask empty questions. Cover the main plot points. When you are done writing it, read it and decide whether you'd be interested in reading the book after reading the synopsis.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: synopsis query

Postby The Master » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I like that link Bmat.

If they ask for something as short as a paragraph I think that your typical jacket blurb is the right approach. Go to a bookstore and read the jacket summaries on books with similar themes to your story to see how the publisher is selling that concept to a potential reader. Summaries from online stores may work too, but might not be the exact same as a space constricted book cover on a real book.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Return to Guidelines for Writing