speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

-doctor_odd's writing guide-

Our "How To" forum. Share your tips and techniques for being a better writer.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:22 pm

I like aldan's and Magus methods the best but doc odd you had some good points as well.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: -doctor_odd's writing guide-

Postby lovesaphira » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 pm

That is a good way to plan out and write a story/novel but i did mine a bit differently, hehe.

Step 1: come up with idea: this was my first step, hehe. I didn't even sit down and think of something to write about. It just randomly popped into my head.

Step 2: awesome characters: all my main characters and villains were thought of in this process. Actually, i think i found a villain before a protagonist, hehe.

Step 3: plot the story: this is where i came up with what would happen in the story and how everything will develop and the basics of my super-awesome climax, hehe. I wrote a rough idea of a chapter overview in this phase. This is also the part where i came up with a title for my story

Step 3: more awesome characters: lol, that must sound silly, i know. but after i found my main characters and my plot line, i went back and came up with secondary characters to fit in during the story to make things more interesting. During this phase i went through and wrote character profiles (Detailed ones, i might add) for all my characters.

Step 4: start writing: yep, obvious step here. This is where i started to write my story. sometimes it would be chapter by chapter, sometimes it would be out of sequence.

so yeah.....that's how i write mine, hehe :D
lovesaphira
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: -doctor_odd's writing guide-

Postby Grand Evander » Tue May 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Just simple "rinse, cycle, and repeat" to put it glibly. I envision the scene I want to write loosely, keeping in mind where I need to be in 5 pages or so. I then write, letting my characters take me where they will. That's rinse and cycle there... Then go back and edit. A lot of my writing comes out in the editing process, where I rework the scene based on my impressions of its strengths and shortcomings. Then we move to the next five or so pages. Writing for me is iterative. I go back to flesh out what's written but I keep myself writing forward so that something gets done. Hence, repeat...

I save my foreshadowing and character defining dialogue for the editing process, since you need a pretty good idea of where you're going to write these pivotal parts of the scene. Without a good idea of what comes later, you might spend hours writing something you later edit out of the scene because your initial vision became antiquated (creating red herrings and unintentional character inconsistencies).

Along those lines, I usually plan out chapters with a very loose outline. I decide where I'm starting, where I want to end, what I want to accomplish, and basically what I want to happen. I leave it vague enough that I have freedom to wander in the direction in which the scene gives me least resistance, so to speak.

I create characters to serve a specific function, usually to provide a counterpoint to some other personality. One of my MC's is really serious and morose, so I added a facetious, yet grating, former actor to balance their scenes. The latter character has two twins that hang around with him to put him back in his place. Again, tension and balance. I also have small cameos from characters I plan to have return later in the overall story. It sets the stage for future plot points and also gives the world the impression of being larger than just what you're writing.

I like flexibility with minimal structure. Sometimes letting your mind wander leads you to exactly where you need to be and well... if even you're surprised, your readers are likely to be too.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Previous

Return to Guidelines for Writing