speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

From Outer Time

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

From Outer Time

Postby Floridian Dream » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:04 pm

I'm not trying to infringe anything off of Lovecraft's The Shadow Out of Time (although, admittedly, the plot is quite inspiring), but I did find the very title itself quite inspiring, the notion of something foreign to our time, that and what I've heard about different time dimension that could potentially allow one to travel not only forward and back in time, but even sideways, and up and down. Check out this video and Rob Bryanton's Imagining the Tenth Dimension for more details on the subject.

Long story short, I'm thinking of writing a story about some force or entity not from our time; the title may be somewhere along the lines of "The ___ From Outer Time" — that is, if that doesn't sound too much like the title to a cheap 1950's sci-fi movie. But what I'd mostly like to know is in which way should this entity that I have yet to specify (mostly because I still need to think out what it actually is) is from outside our time, whether it hails from the distant past or future, an alternate reality, or a dimension in which time as we experience it is just space through which to travel freely.

What do you guys think? Which seems like a better location to be called Outer Time? Does it even make any difference?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Re: From Outer Time

Postby Bmat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 am

I think it is not a bad idea to reference a cheap 1950's movie. I don't have time right now to check out the links but will in time. :)

One of the most intriguing short stories I remember reading, a good while back, dealt with beings who were partly in our dimension and partly in another. And another interesting dimensional being or vehicle that seemed only partly in our dimension was a Star Trek NG where the crew was on a planet that was watched over by the being.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: From Outer Time

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:07 pm

I recommend looking into black holes. There are some very interesting theories and discoverys out there right now.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas