speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

NAME THAT DUDE---help!

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

NAME THAT DUDE---help!

Postby Raye » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:24 pm

Ok, this is a new game i thought up. Its called: NAME THAT DUDE

players take your marks. . . ready. . . .set. . .

NAME THAT DUDE!

"Water beaded on my skin and my hair stuck to my face and neck. I shivered and looked up to see a young man about my age, perhaps a few years older, watching me intently.
He had shaggy black curls that spilled over his dark golden forehead. His nose was strong and straight, his eyes dark and deep. He wore faded clothing that marked him as middle-class. His lack of boots, shoes or even sandals told me that he was very, very familiar with the forest. In his left hand held a crooked pale dagger.
I opened my mouth to scream the moment I saw the blade, thousands of gruesome scenarios flashing through my mind. I never uttered a sound, my scream dying in my throat as his large, warm hand covered my mouth. It wasn't a hostile touch, there was a gentleness to the action, and the look in his dark eyes pleaded with me not to scream. He didn't want to hurt me. Slowly, palm facing upward, he placed his dagger on the ground. In a soft whisper, his deep tenor glided over words in an exotic language I did not know."

As you can probably tell, once again, I am having hero-naming issues. Any help would be awesome! Just as background, the girl speaking is Eva (Evangeline). She's 17, and has snuck away from her father's camp and happened upon a waterfall. Water-nymphs pulled her in and she blacked out. Un-named dude pulled her out and saved her life. She's on her way to boarding school and that was kinda her last ditch effort at freedom and adventure. With the guy, i was going for arabic/sanskrit/gypsy influences. Mostly gypsy. So, if you have any suggestions on what the guys' name should be, lemme know. And yes, I am aware that the little intro thing isn't the best writing ever, and probably has severe grammar issues (seeing as how i wrote it) but its from a rough draft, so its supposed to have that stuff.*wink*

ok, so NAME THAT DUDE!......
"Romance is dead - it was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." - Lisa Simpson

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=raye_lian
http://spaces.msn.com/members/krazyfox/
Raye
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Neurolanis » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:35 pm

S'Geonne, Orson, Berall, Mealon, Shailon, K'Drallen, Silumn ..??

Can you point us in a direction, Raye?

Woods, rough, but well-intentioned? Ropine, Oakren, Wrawl?
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:12 pm

I found a whole mess of Gypsey names (Romanian):

Nanosh; Stevo; Laetshi; Milosh; Putzina; Bakro; Kore; Yishwan; Balo; Mitsho; Hanzi; Yanoro; Bidshika; Boboko; Luluvo; Honko; Yojo; Vedel; Pulika; Merikano; Kalia; Pani; Shandor; Inga; Butsulo; Vosho; Tshurkurka; Palko; Zurka; Punka; Yoska; Tsinoro; Yiswan; Tina; Troka; Tshilaba; Yayal; Fonso; Yokka; Pitivo; Dodo; Ferka; Pitti; Grantsha; Gunari; Djordji; Pani; Petsha; Tshurkina; Grofo; Koloro; Tshompi; Gunada; Popoy; Yanko; Gunari; Loiza; Marko; Nonoka; Mertshak; Notarka; Duntshi; Mutshoro; Kalderasha; Pali; Tshurka; Gimi (pro. Gimme); Besnik; Veshengo; Nicu; Mario; Walther; Nuzi; Krenar; Artani; Bexhet(pro. beh-jet); Djivan; Arben; Beno; Dilaver; Kako; Shkelgim; Marcelle; Aziz; Gyorgy; Kolev; Plamen; Rumen; Boiko; Branko; Rambo; Pardalien; Mircea; Emilian; Simionce; Corin; Oaste; Nicolae; Panch; Talpa; Boldor; Guaril; Coica; Ninga; Harman; Bera; Badu; Comon; Luca; Latco; Dinga; Manciu; Stefan; Mihai; Ion; Vesh; Rajko; Luciano; Aladar; Andrzej; Sàip.

Those are all, also, guys' names. Personally, my favorites are Nanosh, Milosh, Duntshi, Mihai, Rajko and Aladar. Somehow I find him more to be a Nanosh or a Milosh, Milosh especially. But Veshengo does mean "Man of the forest". I hope this helps.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:22 pm

Then a name like Veshengor or Vesh might be clever.. :wink:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Spiderkeg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:28 am

Most of those Romanian names have the letter "o" so I would think of going with something in that direction, to maybe stick with some level of realism.

Can you give any backstory on this character? An idea on what his purpose might be, or perhaps something influential that he will do?

What I would do in this situation is to take some words that might sum up the character, then find words in the actual Gypsy native language that fit. Here's a link to an actual list of Gypsy words and their meanings. Maybe you can just call him something that fits him perfectly in the native language.

http://larp.com/jahavra/language.html
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby who me » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:45 am

bob.
you don't like that but it is easy to spell.

ok how about "the mysterious gypsy with no name" I smell a major plot hear.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:07 pm

Neurolanis wrote:Then a name like Veshengor or Vesh might be clever.. :wink:

I agree. I like both of these for the character. I might have to steal them ;-])

Additionally, Alexandru (defender of mankind,) Alin (rock; comely,) Anghel (messenger,) Beryx (meaning unknown,) Bodgan/Bogdan (gift of God,) Ciodaru (meaning unknown,) Costi (meaning unknown,) Dimitrie/Dimitry/Dumitru (follower of Demeter,) Iulian (youthful,) Lucian (light,) Mazonn (meaning unknown,) Mihai (who is like the Lord?,) Razvan (meaning unknown,) Serban (meaning unknown,) Sorin (thunder or red hair,) Traian (meaning unknown,) Vali (meaning unknown,) Vlad/Vladimir (renowned prince.)
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Raye » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:12 pm

yeah, for now i've been calling him "nameless hero gypsy man" it's a mouthful, but its Nhgm short-ways. thanks so much for the help. . . .

point you in a direction. . . . ummm. . . .

he's supposed to be Eva's protector and all that jazz. . . eventually they'll be friends . . . he, uh, knows a little bit of magic from his mother, but both parents are dead. he's a good guy and always there when he has to be, but not annoyingly so. that help? *cringe* sorry, its not a lot, i know, i should do better than that. . .
"Romance is dead - it was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." - Lisa Simpson

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=raye_lian
http://spaces.msn.com/members/krazyfox/
Raye
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby aldan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:24 am

How about Nohgrom, then? It appears foreign, uses the 'o's that you like, and also uses the letters you were using as a temporary title/name. Plus, it should be easy enough to pronounce, or at least to puzzle out how to. I would have gone just with "Nohgom", but it just didn't look right...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:49 am

:rofl:

Good thinking, Aldan. It actually looks like it would be good for his name, at least as good as any of the other suggestions.

:rofl:

Actually, yesterday I got this idea for a story, and I couldn't think of what to name the two protagonists, who were brothers. But I had just posted here and decided that Milosh and Nanosh would be perfect!

:lol:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:50 pm

I really like the name Alin, that's pretty good. Or Vali.

So you helped yourself while helping some one else, Magus? I've done that before myself. Like that old saying, 'kindness has its own rewards'. :wink:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:16 am

So you helped yourself while helping some one else, Magus?

It IS the American way, after all.

:wink:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Suggestions and Ideas