speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

An idea or rather name for a FTL/wormhole drive?

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

An idea or rather name for a FTL/wormhole drive?

Postby Dragonfleet » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:06 am

So after muddling over weird words I came up with this great idea called a Zero Temporal Translation (ZTT), I was really bubbling with enthusiasm to get a story going but I was suddenly faced with this really frustrating obstacle in my way. Problem was, I only recently found out that Peter F. Hamilton uses the same term in his stories. ;_;

So I'm kinda lost, I want a drive that can activate wormholes since I love the whole idea (and may also include FTL drives later in that story perhaps) but I don't know what to call it. Any ideas?

Basically the whole idea of my wormhole drive is that you set a known or predicted destination (say a nearby star system), you open a wormhole, you go through it and you end up near the major planets in that system.
Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Qray » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:05 pm

HiHo Dragonfleet. If you can't come up with a name that actually describes what the drive does, perhaps you could have it named after the person in your story that invented it.

For example, you said you came up with Zero Temporal Translation (ZTT), but then later found out that Peter F. Hamilton had already used that name. Perhaps in homage to him you could call it the Hamilton Drive and make a character in your story named Hamilton the inventor of it.

Or name it after some of the early researchers into wormholes and give them the name of the drive's inventor. The Schwarzschild Drive, the Lorentzian Drive, the Euclidean Drive, the Rosen Bridge Drive, the Roman Drive, or the Krasnikov Drive (I know that both Alcubierre Drive and the Krasnikov Tube have previously been used in science fiction to describe wormhole travel drives.)

If your looking more for names that describe what the drive actually does, superluminal which means faster than the speed of light and subluminal which means slower than the speed of light, might be a possibility for the drive engines in your story.

Perhaps combining a historical wormhole name with superluminal...the Krasnikov Superluminal Drive...the Superluminal Rosen Bridge Engine.

Just some thoughts. [shrug]
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Dragonfleet » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:47 pm

Ah nice, that's what I was looking for actually. :) I'll mess around with those names and see if I can come up with something that suits my story.
Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Qray » Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Smeg, and I just came up with a perfect name at work today (what, you people think I actually work at work?)

The superfantastical wegofastnow thing-a-ma-ding-ie!

Er...perhaps too technical...oh look...flying buttresses...
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby aldan » Mon May 01, 2006 11:49 pm

owowowow! don't! my neck hurts!!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Spiderkeg » Tue May 02, 2006 7:25 am

The TSD: Temporal Slipstream Device
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Nomad » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:19 pm

:idea:

Neutron Omnidirectional Multiphasic Access Drive

Yup..the N.O.M.A.D drive. I may use it in our fun at the PATD, but your welcome to use it in any cool story. :) won't sue ;)
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Forever Zero » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:51 pm

Invent a last name... something cool. Like "Rorimach".

And then call it the "Rorimach Catapult", or whatever last name you choose.
So it shall be written, and so it shall be done.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby NickLeyland » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:42 am

IMHO

Just as there is a quest for a unified theory of everything (e.g. the books by Stephan Hawkins) in reality I'd love to have a n opinion not only on the name of the drive but also of its characteristics.
IMHO there seem to be a number of different drives conceived within Sci-Fi.

The FTL drive as described within Battle-star Galactic. Characteristics requires a calculation to make sure that you are not hitting a planet star during the translation.

Immediate translation between 2 points over a gateway.
Star Gate
Julian May
Dune

Warping of normal space. Faster than light transport within normal space.
Star Trek

Moving into a hyperspace
- Requires opening a door.
- Flight between 2 points takes less time than flight within normal space.

Does any one have other ideas for how to best describe an FTL system.
NickLeyland
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Grand Evander » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:49 pm

I don't know if this is helpful but General Relativity suggests that only objects within our universe are bound to the first law of special relativity. Space itself can actually expand faster than the speed of light, which explains the earliest period of our universe and the current period now (a Nobel Prize is up for grabs to anyone who can figure out why our universe is expanding again).

If someone were to travel not within space but either as part of space or in the multiverse (if such a thing does exist), then perhaps FTL translation is conceivable.

My problem with wormholes drives has always been the notion of traveling through the black hole without getting collapsed into the singularity beyond the event horizon. If one uses the Schwarzchild metric to solve the Einstein Field Equations, one actually finds that beyond the event horizon, time and space switch places in terms of inevitability.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Return to Suggestions and Ideas