speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Way of Dreams

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Way of Dreams

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri May 26, 2006 5:25 pm

The following is an idea im working on for a future novel, any thoughts or suggestions?

Ulth’Tari, the Land of Dreams and its Kingdoms

Ulth’Tari- The land of dreams as it is called by most is the realm in which people go while they sleep, only a few hundred every 15 centuries are chosen from the realm of Humanity to come here and become “Aware”, all others dream their dreams unknowing that another realm is ever present.

Almaden, The Academy of Dreams- Almaden one of the ruling forces in the land of Ulth’Tari and the first line of defense against the Demons held in the Pandora, which are sealed in the second Gate of Phaden. Almaden is home to the Great Sage Dimitri Trighi, Grand Master Brayan James Shard, and Ambassador Gurk. Any race is allowed with these great halls and many different cultures and people can be found here.

The Gates of Phaden- There exist three gates of Phaden, one which leads to the Pandora and swirls with red mist; this gate has been sealed for countless centuries after a terrible battle had been waged. The second gate leads to the Great Haven, were all spirits who lead a good life go, no one has ever ventured there and returned. The third gate has never been opened and none know where it leads. The entrance to the gates is hidden

The Green Dream- A mystical Train ran by the Conductor “Grandfather” Alawishes. This Train goes to each Kingdom and is the only one of its kind. It uses magic to transport people back and forth, Once in motion the Train can not stop it is said, until it has reached its intended destination. It is also rumored

Realm of Humanity- In short think of it as today’s world, a normal (or maybe not so normal) everyday life, when we go to sleep this is where those who have been chosen are sent while all others of Humanity are kept in dreams of Illusion.

Dreamwalker- Dreamwalkers are observers only; preferring to remain Neutral. Dreamwalkers rarely choose a side, but when they do it is has always been the side of the Light. They are gifted with the ability to determine the truth of things, and are excellent Ambassadors as they see every side of things before making a choice. They are paired with Spencer Cats as their life companions. Spencer Cats have superior vision, and like their masters observe everything. They also have the ability to recall their memories to their masters. Dreamweavers dress in forest green robes.

Dreamwalker Knight- Sworn defenders of Almaden, Dreamwalker Knights wield either a sword or a morning star and always have a shield. They will always wear blue armour with matching cloaks. The blade of their sword is tinted blue as well. Their Shields always bear the Crest of their Family House, which is unique to each Dreamwalker Knight. Dream Dragons are paired with these mighty Knights and like their owners are charged with the defense of Almaden though their first duty is to their Knight partner.

Dreamweaver- Great Magic users of Almaden, Dreamweavers have the ability to summon vast amounts of magic to do good or evil. Dreamweavers wear red robes with the crest of their house over their hearts. These wizards use the power of the mind combined with wands crafted out of the Mera Oaks, which have a life of their own.
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bmat » Fri May 26, 2006 5:40 pm

It seems as if there are some good ideas. I am especially intrigued by people going to a different realm when asleep.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri May 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Thanks Bmat, I have been slowly working on this idea, I go off on other things but I keep finding myself drawn back to this.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Magus » Fri May 26, 2006 10:12 pm

It sounds interesting... but what's the plot? What's going to happen, who are the characters?

What you've posted are a series of intruiging related ideas, but it's what you do with them that will make or break your story.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ariel » Sat May 27, 2006 8:25 am

This has the potential to be something amazing! WOW! Love the ideas in this!!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:48 am

The part you call "The Green Dream" parallels a place you can visit in the World of Warcraft game, called "The Emerald Dream." Since the names of these places are similar, I thought I would mention this.

I like what you have thus far. I would like to hear what the general plot might be. However, I understand fully if this is an idea that is not fully fleshed out. I create too many story settings and then abandon them for other projects.

I like the use of cats. Very "Alice in Wonderland" like.
Last edited by Spiderkeg on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:15 pm

Throwing in an "unnatural" (in relation to how this world is balanced) cause for nightmares would be a fitting and interesting way to use a plot device and/or your antagonist.
So it shall be written, and so it shall be done.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 pm

Thanks FZ and Spidey! I am glad you like the idea, ill post more when I get it, as for thew nightmare thing, i would love to make something of it just not sure how.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:53 am

Look forward to hearing more on this! :flower: :cat:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Spiderkeg » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Without knowing how far this story has developed, this idea popped into my head. The mention of Demons usually involves some form of corruption.

What if people from the real world, who dream and travel to this world, bring a plague. What if someone in the real world becomes ill, and upon dreaming and traveling to this dream world, they become corrupted upon entering... like the proverbial nightmare or boogyman.

Lots of ideas to go wild with. Perhaps people from the real world are being purposely poisoned, hinting that someone in the real world is aware of the dreamers and is purposely poisoning them. Even more than that, perhaps people who get sick and enter the dream world cannot wake up until clensed. The real world now suffers an outbreak in which people lapse into comas. A cure must be found.

Getting the ol' creative juices flowing.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:56 pm

Very Nice!!!!

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Curious

Postby Philip Harris » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:49 pm

Are you, or have you, thought of the numbers you are suggesting in your story. Numbers have mystical meanings and I am just wondering if you are consciously using these meanings in your story idea, which is very interesting. I understand that your thoughts are preliminary and not fully developed but I have seen many stories that could be better if these types of parallels are made with deeper meanings and symbolism in mind.
Philip Harris
Co-Author, Waking God
ISBN: 1-932993-39-8
Nationally Syndicated Writer
The American Chronicle
Philip Harris
New User
New User

Next

Return to Suggestions and Ideas