speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Hand of God

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Hand of God

Postby codlaim » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:33 am

This is an old idea for me, and has had a number of possible stories set in it. I don't know if I'll ever do anything with it. It's too much for a short story and I don't have a novel in me right now, might never. Let me know if it's interesting.

The world is set on the severed Hand of God. He cut off his ear for some reason, perhaps because that is where his conscience lies. There's another world set on his ear but I have nothing for it yet. He went mad without his conscience and began a campaign of destruction and obliteration. All of his creation was at risk. His hand was severed by the beings that lived on his flesh, like so many ticks, but powerful ticks that could do something like that. This robbed God of his ability to destroy. The hand was hidden from him. The ticks fathered a race, perhaps humans, and eventually fell into slumber, leaving their progeny alone on the Hand. These people were not unaware of the threat God would pose if he recovered his Hand. There are people born, one day or year every so often, though not often at all, who can remove the cover from the Hand and return it to God. They are hunted down and killed. For centuries it has succeeded, this hunt. The story would take place during one of these hunts which is less successful and would follow the course of several of these people. The end would either be the death of the last of these threats or the restoration of the Hand to God. Not sure which I would prefer. If the hand is restored, the following story would concern restoration of the ear to save creation.

I don't know. I kind of like it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
"We need men who can dream of things that never were."
codlaim
New User
New User

Postby Bmat » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:57 am

I like it, too, and I agree that it seems more of a background for a novel than a short story.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Some thought went into this and I say it should be written as a novel.

I liked it very interesting.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby thegreentick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:38 pm

I really like this idea. I can't say I've come across one like it before, which gives it mega-bonus points in my books. I like the alternative you gave with the hand being reunited, setting up a following story about reuniting the ear as well.
"God is looking for spiritual fruits, not religious nuts."
thegreentick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Suggestions and Ideas