speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Reasons the world would end?

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Reasons the world would end?

Postby Dreamer1206 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:49 am

Ok, so I have an entire story idea based on the picture below:

LINK TO PICTURE
(*please see the master's post below about link edit*)

where these God-like beings begin ascending, one by one, with days or weeks between them, to these pillars when the end of the world begins. As each comes, they bring certain destruction, plague, natural disasters, etc. When the last flies to the pillar, well.... the world comes to an end. This has always been an ancient prophecy, that this would occur some day, but when it starts to happen, people are so shocked by its suddenness. These winged beings serve as a warning... the more that ascend, the sooner the end will come. (EDIT: Or, they might, again, just serve as a warning to the destruction, disasters, etc. rather than causing them... I'm not sure yet.)

What I need is - what would be a reason that they would begin the ascension, that they begin the end of the world? At this point, I'm not sure if they would actually be implementing the end of the world, or just serve as a warning system, but for the purposes of this post, I would just like ideas as to why it would occur either way. I would also like something that I could find a reversal for, so there is an actual plot against the "Apocalypse" - otherwise, everyone is just hanging on for the end. Thanks!
Last edited by Dreamer1206 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer1206
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Grand Evander » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:53 am

I think it would be hard to have these beings juat act as a warning system, since the ascension of each causes cataclysms in the world. When thinking about ideas to give, I am reminded of the story of Ragnarok in Norse mythology.

Ragnarok is heralded by certain catalysmic events, such as Hati and Scoll swallowing the moon and sun, respectively, the rising of the Midgard Serpant, Jörmungand, and Nidhogg succeeding in chewing through the roots of the world tree, Yggdrasil.

The most salient feature relevant to this discussion is the drying of the Yggdrasil's spring. The spring dries up a little each time whenever the Norse god's break a promise, and the spring dries up fully when Odin breaks his promise of protection to Loki.

Perhaps the winged beings each ascend after a certain type of travesty is committed on a mass scale, such as a giant war between nations where a lot of rape and pillaging occurs. Cataclysms occur when each winged being ascends in an effort to cleanse the world, but this can't go on forever. Eventually, when the last one ascends, the world's creator will appear and restart the world. This would be the apocalypse.

To have it be reversible (or avoidable), the final event that would bring about this destruction could be something extremely specific that could be avoided, such as the assasination of a certain seer or killing of a sacred bird. Perhaps something could be done such that the creator would not destroy the world but rejuvenate it if certain conditions are met.

Another option could be that there are also be a group of beings that ascend platforms on earth and are its guardian. If all of those beings ascend first, the destruction can be prevented.

*There are a million ways to take such an idea. These are just some of my thoughts. Hope they are helpful!
Last edited by Grand Evander on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Dead_Technology » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:31 pm

I don't have much as to why the world would end, but I did like
everyone is just hanging on for the end
. You could maybe write a candid look at the region this is taking place in thoughts and actions of the populace, it might work as a short story. Although if the world must end perhaps it could be because some sort of cosmic rule has been broken I.E. a fallen angel has made his way back into heaven, angels have taken mortal women ect. It sounds like an interesting concept you've come up with, eager to hear more.
Dead_Technology
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:04 pm

Wow Dreamer, I would love to hear more about this story!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby The Master » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Dreamer1206, I edited your post to provide a link to the page on the artist's site where the picture is rather than embedding it as an in line image. Remote linking to artworks is considered bandwidth theft because it generates traffic usage on their site without the benefit of actually visiting.

For everyone's information, anytime an image belongs to you and is hosted on your own webspace then you are welcome to inline link it here if you want. When it is someone else's image and is hosted on another site provide a link to their page so people can open it to see the work as the artist intends.

=====

As for your actual question, in many ways your idea reminds me of the movie The Seventh Sign (starring Demi Moore). I think I would be intrigued with the story if there is some sort of redemption available and you tell us about the choices the characters make and how they effect the outcome.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Dreamer1206 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:41 pm

I was just brainstorming, and thought of the idea that the "Apocalypse" could be prompted by a purposeful action from a group of humans - an extremist group who believes that their actions, whether stealing an ancient relic, waging war in a certain way, etc., will bring them eternal life. The whole plot then focuses on stopping their actions in order to reverse the worldwide destruction. Any ideas on this, or other suggestions?
Dreamer1206
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:08 pm

How about a story in which Heaven is supported by these giant pillars, rising from the Earth. As people die, or ascend, Heaven becomes heavier and heavier. Eventually the pillars begin to crumble from the weight. When Heaven crashes to Earth, the mixture of the living and the dead will result in pure destruction... effectively bringing "Hell on Earth."

As people ascend, the world can worsen, as the weight of Heaven brings problems who live below.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:29 pm

Question, are this winged beings transformed humans who one day begin changing and then feel an inescapable need to perch atop the pillars?

If so, a side plot detailing one such persons experiences during the change may be interesting. Having them in the group trying to stop the extremists, or having the two story lines converge later on perhaps. [Shrug] I guess that doesn't help much with your original question though, does it?

Perhaps the way that these winged beings usher in the Apocalypse is by being the Earth's defenders. There is some really bad stuff coming and these beings are arraying themselves to meet that bad stuff. Either they instinctively know when this bad stuff will show up and are "pacing themselves" as far as taking position on their pillars, or whatever the bad stuff may be is waiting until all the pillars are full before bringing the pain.

That way the winged beings could be looked at in two different ways depending on the perspective of your individual characters in the story. Defenders or destroyers. [shrug]
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas