speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Help with ideas!

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Help with ideas!

Postby Pnkfairy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:36 am

Hi im hoping to start a epic fantasy series, trying something different!
I'v read articles and articles, and book upon book to try and get that killer plot! No luck. :(
Any ideas?
Pnkfairy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Magus » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:58 am

Well... any "killer plot" ideas I come up with I'm libel to keep for myself.

:wink:

Maybe if you share what you have or are thinking of presently, we can offer assistance and help tweak it, and otherwise offer our two-cents in the matter. But I seriously doubt that anybody's going to just out-n-out drop a plot-bomb on your lap.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Bmat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:16 am

About how to come up with a great plot. I'd say you are on your way, since you have been reading and reading. You may also be wanting to write and write. While you are writing, one day, you will think to yourself- "Hey! I'll bet that how he got in that predicament would be interesting!" Then you'll write about that and find other directions and characters to cover. As you ponder the world you are creating, you'll fine tune it and think some more. You may throw all of this out if it never really grabs you. But you will have had experience creating and considering different aspects of life and imagination.

To get in the swing of creative writing, why don't you pick something at random and write a fantasy story about it. A paragraph or two would be enough. You could even start a thread here at SV and see if anyone else is interested in participating. There are a few threads here already along the same idea. Pick anything.. say, the cake that you were baking burned, and come up with a creative reason for the burning and then with a back story.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:38 pm

I agree with Magus's first comment.

I would suggest just keep comtemplating it and it will come to you. You can not rush greatness.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Mikira » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:28 am

We don't want to discourage you, but Magus is correct. No matter where you go and ask for help with a plot idea, no one will just lay one at your doorstep to use.

So I must say:

1) Keep Reading

2) Start writing any old thing - Bmat made some great suggestions.

3) Start role playing - the reason I say this is do to how it opens your mind to new possiblities you might not have thought of on your own. So ideas and backstories will spring forth from the fun you'll have pretending your someone else.
God doesn't make mistakes.
Mikira
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Grand Evander » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Beyond what Magus and Mikira said, even if someone did give you an idea there's no guarantee it's an idea that you personally could work with. We write what we like, I believe, and to write something that isn't us can read rather contrived and lackluster. Even great plotlines can be ruined by poor writing and repetitions of older themes and plots can sound fresh if taken an interesting direction.

Keep reading and writing and trying to get a sense of what it is you like to write about. An epic fantasy is a story you'll have to work with for a really long time, so it should be something that interests you and caters to your strengths as a writer/storyteller.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Chipchinka » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:33 am

It would be easy for me to come forward and tell you "hey, I've got a killer plot for you to write...how about crafting a story/novel about ____?" You fill in the blank. The only real problem with that is the fact that this is your story. Even if you have no clue as to what it's about, it's yours. Because of that, no matter what I or anyone else says, no plot that we give you will actually make you go "oooh, that's cool!" Well...maybe such an offered plot might, but ultimately, since this is your story, it's going to have to be something personal to you, something that really grabs your gut and says "WRITE ME!"

Now, having said that, I have a few questions that might be helpful.

1.) What do you WANT to write about?
2.) From all of the research and reading you've done, what really tickles your fancy?
3.) If you're writing epic fantasy, then what similarities or differences do you want between your own work and what's already out there? Better yet, what writers positively suck? Think about that one for a minute, because sometimes inspiration comes from writers you absolutely hate; the whole impetus to write could be fueled by the conviction that you can do a better story, and the fun comes from actually doing what you set out to do.
4.) Who do you want to be IN your story? Or to put it a different way, what hero or heroine appeals to you the most? What's s/he like? Usually that's the key to any story, since all stories are about the characters in them.
Do your quiet answers creep among the stars?
Chipchinka
New User
New User

Postby thegreentick » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:29 pm

Wow, it's been a loooong time since I've posted here.

Stories are not something you can pass from one person to the other. A truly great story is something that is born. You can't just walk up to a woman and say "Here is your natural born child. Enjoy."

A story is alive. It is always changing and growing and only stops when you put it down on paper. If we were to give you a plot, we would give you something that's already dead.

Best of luck creating a plot.
"God is looking for spiritual fruits, not religious nuts."
thegreentick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby RHFay » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:59 am

Let me add a little about what others said regarding someone else coming up with the plot for your story. That person could, down the road, claim that you "stole" their story. It could cause some troubles down the line.

Do you recall the legal troubles Dan Brown had with The Da Vinci Code? Authors of the non-fiction The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail sued the publisher of Brown's work, claiming he stole the central theme for his novel from their book. The lawsuit was an obvious ploy to cash in on the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, and it failed, but it's best to avoid that situation from the start.

The others here had some great comments and suggestions. I just thought I would show you why this is a bad idea from a legal angle. Come up with something on your own, that's all your own creation. Read, ponder, imagine, and maybe something will start to form.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Grand Evander » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:10 am

I find writing a story with a compelling plot is a very iterative process. I've separated my novel into a series of arcs. The large overarching arc is the main conflict in the story that needs to be resolved while there are some smaller arcs whose resolution is essential for the characters to develop. The former requires a lot of planning and revisiting while the latter develop their sense of immediacy and realism from being spontaneous and, yes, at times ill-conceived.

Great plots like fine wines mature. From small ideas, they can burgeon into a robust storyline. My advice is to start with something that interests you. A world, a character, or a conflict are some examples of good starting points. From there, begin asking yourself a lot of questions, and feel free to be brutal and thorough. As you develop answers to these questions, constantly ask the question, 'why?' Why is my main character going on this quest? Why is my villain engaging in political subversion to undermine his own empire? Why does magic exist in my world? Why are human beings wary of a robot insurrection? Question, question, question!

Also, don't be afraid of changes in direction. As you write, a work dons a life of its own and telescopes the gamut of plots still feasible until a story emerges. So, find a starting point you're comfortable with and see where it takes you!
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Return to Suggestions and Ideas