speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Winter

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Winter

Postby codlaim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:27 pm

This is the idea I am most into right now. Figure I can get a long story or short novella out of it, and that's something I'd like to see.

This story is a folk tale about the end of winter, although there would be elements of straight fantasy in it. The piece would follow the journey of a young woman who tames the Night, which is a horse, and so goes on a number of quests which would weaken Winter until he can be defeated. I have the quests, but have not worked them all out to completion and don't know the precise order yet.

First she goes to the Summer Court, where the spirits of summer dwell. She does not find them, but does find a guide, a bird made up of lines and swirls that hops off a tapestry. The bird tells her to stop the winds, so she travels to mountains where a great beast is lashed into howls of pain which are the winds. Then she must get the Three Mouths to sing and wake the tree spirits. The death of the Ice Dragon follows, so that the geese will come back. Then she must melt the huge pool of ice high in the mountains to bring back the waters. The waters will bring back the residents of the Summer Court and she must lead them against Winter and his minions across the vast sea to the north.

A couple things. I understand that most of you will not see the resemblence to another story I posted here, but I figured I'd acknowledge to similarities between this and The Winter and the Spring. Also, I know this is vague, but it's supposed to be. The order is close to the final version, but there might be some shuffling in the items at the end.

Let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure I'm going to write this soon, so any notes or suggestions would be appreciated. If there isn't enough here to judge, I'm willing to post more.

Thanks.
"We need men who can dream of things that never were."
codlaim
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:28 pm

Oh I like this. How interesting. :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:40 pm

It is a bit interesting. I like the ideas behind the seasons and it does sound like a folktale. I hope you have fun with it.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas