speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

A Great Heart

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

A Great Heart

Postby codlaim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:41 pm

This is my newest idea, and I'd like to work through it right now and would like to hear what you think of it.

There is this miserable woman who is the daughter of the King. She is a horrid woman and there is something about her that no one can love. The king needs her to find someone, more out of duty than out of love. He doesn't love her either, no one can. So the king offers a great reward should someone consent to marriage. This offer draws many, but none can stomach the woman.

The offer draws a noble from the other side of the kingdom. He's not in it for the reward, but because he loves everyone and thinks that everyone should have love. He travels to the court and agrees to marry her. It comes to light that any man who could love her has a heart great enough to wake the gods.

See, there is this whole backdrop to the story that they live in a land of fallen gods. There is this massive, epic history to the land, but it was forgotten with the gods. The story would be a quiet little tale, but with this backdrop that would be hinted at constantly.

Whether the man would wake the gods is something I'd like to keep to myself. I think it might mess with the story to know the end. My concern is this. Should I write a history of the world first or let the hints come out as I write the story itself. I might want to do something with the history later, so some structure would be good, but I think it might be fun to let whatever comes out come out as I write. I don't know.

Thanks.
"We need men who can dream of things that never were."
codlaim
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Should I write a history of the world first or let the hints come out as I write the story itself. I might want to do something with the history later, so some structure would be good, but I think it might be fun to let whatever comes out come out as I write.

In my personal opinion, you should write your story, and only your story, without giving a thought to the world or history thereof anymore than is necesary for the story. This way you focus most on the story, and less about the history of the world in which the story is set. This is what I personally do in all of my own writing, and it seems to work out best. If you feel compelled to flesh it out more later on, by all means do so. But, in the innitial draft, I feel that you should only focus on the story itself to achieved the best results.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ariel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:15 pm

I agree. When reading a good story, I like to discover things as I go along. Leaves the reader wondering.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:06 am

Mystery pulls us along. Never reveal everything, even by the end. :wink:

But at the same time, of course, you must give us nuggets that we can savor as we go...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Spiderkeg » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:58 am

Man... I was really hoping this princess was cursed by some foul witch shortly after being born. Like a messed up tale of Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. Kinda amusing to think of nobles traveling to meet this woman, and then upon looking on her, retch right there.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Suggestions and Ideas