speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Propeller Lungs

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Propeller Lungs

Postby codlaim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:10 pm

I had this dream the other night that my dad had my lungs removed because my smoking had ruined them. So in their place I had these propellers that let me breath only when the wind hit them.

I'm thinking of writing a clockwork story about that. An old man has these propeller lungs and his granddaughter has to find a way to bring back the winds, which have disappeared. The people have enlisted giants to blow on their windmills, and her grandfather has to sit at the top of their windmill and let the giants blow on him. I think she'll go on a little quest to find the winds and then end up building something. I don't know.

Thanks.
"We need men who can dream of things that never were."
codlaim
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:48 pm

Did you want to ask a question, or simply share your idea with us?

It sounds interesting, and could be thoroughly entertaining if you pull it off properly. It has a good balance of seriousness and comedy to it, from just the premise, and offers promising development. If you choose to go with this idea, then good luck.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:10 pm

I say go for it it is a breath of fresh air from the everyday fantasy you see. I will warn you though it could be harder to write then any of us think.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby codlaim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:38 pm

I've thought about this one a little. I know it has only been hours since I posted these, but this seems to be the one attracting more attention so far and so is worth a little thought on my part. The idea is only a couple days old and I'm still kicking it around.

I don't know that I could do it with a lot of humor. I have kind of an understated sense of humor (not that funny) as it is and it doesn't really translate in writing. I'm thinking a little sad. Here's what I've got.

The grandfather comes to live with his granddaughter and her husband after her parents die. She builds him the lungs because she's a mechanic of sorts, repairing windmills and such. Soon after, the ruler of the land puts a tax on wind. The reasons become clear at the end of the story. The tax is food, as this is an agrarian society to the point of exclusion of all else. The windmills are necessary because the land is arid and the mills pump water from wells and into irrigation. The people get giants from the mountains because they have powerful lungs, are tall, and don't need as much air. The people buy air in bags and use it to breathe and feed the giants and so windmills. The bags are hard to control and the air escapes easily and all at once if not careful, which is why the need for giants. The granddaughter is distraught because her grandfather can only sit on the windmill and can't move around or anything and seems to be wasting away. She tries to find an answer.

I figure I can do a subdued, melancholy deal with this one. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Think it's worth a go.

Thanks.
"We need men who can dream of things that never were."
codlaim
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:38 pm

I think it is worth a go. It is one of the more original ideas I have heard in a while and trust me I have a friend talking about writing that well lives with me and his ideas are derived from Final Fantasy games. Good games but I am sick of hearing the same over used Ideas.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas