speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Need opinion with word's gender inflection

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Spiderkeg » Thu May 03, 2007 3:22 pm

aldan wrote:Here's a question relating to your word, Spidey...

Is the planet already inhabited, and if so, is it inhabited by human/human-like creatures? Is the planet a more fantasy-like or a more science fiction-like planet for the story? Also, was the planet named by people/creatures that originated on the planet, or was it by creatures/people that colonized it?

Now, you may ask why I ask such questions, and if you wish to, be my guest. I may even consider deigning to answer the question... *aldan grins*

Alrighty, let's see if I can answer your questions and give some background.

The story takes place on a planet that is like Earth, but not Earth. However, at the point of the story's beginning, the planet has already been through several transformations and evolutionary restarts. Through this whole process there has been a constant presence on the planet.

Now since the story takes place on this world, which is very much tied to the core of the story, I found naming the epic difficult as the planet has been given numerous labels. With every new evolution brings new sentient beings who give a new name to their world.

The challenge was to find a name for the presence, which has remained a constant to the planet even while the planet itself has been through many changes. However, I was looking for a word which sounded neutral or slightly more feminine. I wanted a name that sounded like a planet or being, or both, and could easily roll off the tongue.

The original name for the planet is Polagris, but nobody except for the presence would remember. I figured the presence could be named The Ambren, or just Ambren, by the people.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Sun May 06, 2007 1:16 am

It has a feminine feel to me. Possibly because of it's similarity to Amber.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Ariel » Sun May 06, 2007 4:58 am

Ambren reminds me of Amber too. Still, it is gender neutral and original. I like it.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Qray » Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 am

So do I and I agree it would depend how the name is put forth in the story as to how it's interpreted.

I think it would work well for the name of a planet. Especially the one you envision, Spiderkeg

Ambrén is also...if not a common, at least a known surname.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Previous

Return to Suggestions and Ideas