speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Rodent Evolution

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Rodent Evolution

Postby Tales » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 am

The main Protagonist is the young girl which takes the role of Elliot of E.T. We will look from the protagonist viewpoint thru her life and how she copes with migration blues. Then like Stitch but less funny and cute, the creature comes in contact with the girl in a rather bad state.

Now the one problem is how the creature will come in conflict with other humans. But maybe I was thinking that it could attack lifestock in the town.
Tales
New User
New User

Postby Tales » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:01 am

But now I need something to frame the creature up for something it did not do. Maybe the creature did not kill livestock but then the blame was pushed to it...

The setting is now in New South Wales. There are farms there. But what animal from australia is capable of killing people and sheep and why? It less convincing if it was a human murderer...

This is the writer's block I faced.
Tales
New User
New User

Postby The Master » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm fairly ignorant of Aussie wildlife beyond that they have koalas, kangaroos, and wallabies. However I can recite the infamous line "A dingo ate my baby!"...dingo's are wild dogs (I believe they came from settlers pets going wild, they aren't native). [search=google]dingo[/search] for some research to see if that might work.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Tales » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Hmmm dingos have been attacking livestock and humans. They are really vicious creatures.

But they have been attacking humans and livestock for a quite a long time so why is this current spate of attacks in the story be any different from other prevalent attacks in the past?
Tales
New User
New User

Postby Tales » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 am

Hey guys sorry for the silence, I have been busy.

Ok Now I need some ideas for the title of these stories, something along the line of Twilight but I want a title based on words associated with Rodents.
Tales
New User
New User

Postby Tales » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 am

Here are their synopses

Chapter 1:
A strange mysterious creature was smuggled into New South Wales where it encounters Hazel, a young Chinese emigrant who is also trying to fit in with her alien Australian environment. When a spate of killings of livestock and humans occur, the sighting of the creature leds the folks to inclined to think that the creature was the culprit. Hazel had to protect the creature which she thinks is not responsible for the attacks.

Chapter 2:
Ten years following the incident at New South Wales, Hazel, now a first year evolution biology student was told to redo a presentation illustrating evolution. Her presentation was mocked by her lecturer as "speculative fiction". By accident, it caught the attention of a secret environmental conservation organization, W3[World Wildlife Watch].
It's leader managed to find the skeleton of her creature friend from a decade ago and wants Hazel to lead a team onto a uncharted island where her thesis on Rodent evolution was proven to be fact!

Chapter 3:
After the discovery of the Gnaw Islands, there was great territorial disputes by countries near islands. On the other hand, environmentalists are debating whether the island requires conservation or immediate extermination due to past habitats being destroyed by rodents. Jeremy, Hazel's young son, now leads a team of environmentalists and scientists to study the rodents on the Gnaw Islands. At the same time, they come face to face with a flying rodent with a 13 metre wingspan and also the poachers who have been hired to capture the other odd inhabitants for the creation of an exhibit.
Tales
New User
New User

Postby Tales » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:21 am

This is a wing design which allows the creature to walk, run and fly.

Tales
New User
New User

Postby The Master » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 am

Sounds great Tales! I like that you have graphics in the works too. Very complete vision you are building, I'm impressed.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tales » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am

ImageThe one problem with flying animals is that most of them are clumsy whenever they are on the ground.

So this anatomy I just designed might solve this problem. It's not going to win any olympic medals but I guess it should help in leaping into the air. Sorta like leap froging into flight like this picture.

anyone got opinions? If there is a flaw in my design in my earlier post pls point it out.

Here's an abtract from the pterosaur article

""But using all four legs, it takes less than a second to get off of flat ground, no wind, no cliffs," he said. "This was a good thing to be able to do if you lived in the late Cretaceous period and there were hungry tyrannosaurs wandering around."

"Birds use legs to launch, wings to flap. They don’t get launch power from wings or flight power from legs. In fact, when a bird is aloft, its legs become payload, or cargo. The muscle on the two back limbs that provides the power to launch must be carried and therefore limits size. Released of that handicap by employing all four legs to launch, giant pterosaurs could fly despite the fact that they were roughly the same size and shape as modern-day giraffes."
Tales
New User
New User

Postby The Master » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

It appears from your picture that you have your creature walking on the tip of its wing. If you look at the picture of the pterosaur they walk mid wing and the long digit that supports the remainder of their wing folds up.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tales » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 pm

I see so I suppose the design wouldn't work?
Tales
New User
New User

Postby The Master » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:39 am

I would try some pictures of bats to get an idea of how the wing should be if you want realism. Bats aren't rodents but I would think that the wing design would have to be fairly similar.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas