speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Fey/American Culture Conflict

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Fey/American Culture Conflict

Postby NeoScribe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi y'all! Remember me? No? That's okay, I don't remember the last time I was here either.

Anyways - I am working on a story, the details of which are only just now coming together. I would appreciate help and input. The story takes place several decades from now. Life as we know it has changed drastically thanks to Earth being the site of a massive refugee relocation via magic portals. On another world where mythylogical creatures and magic exist there was a conflict between all the peoples of the world, the Fey, and a race of "Snow Monsters" from the north. It got so bad that the other races eventually fled their world. The wizards gathered and opened up portals that they hoped wouild take them somewhere safe. The portals took them here, to our world. Millions of mythological beings flooded over into the nations of our world. And then the Snow Monster followed. Big war ensued but the numbers and technology of Earth proved victorious in the end.

Thats the backstory, well part of it anyway. In between then and the story proper, where the Fey beings inside the USA are demanding an independent territory of their own from the President (and the disagreement of whether they should get it or not geting really ugly really fast) is what I am pondering over. What do you guys think would happen after the Snow Monster War? How does each peoples react to the other? How do they adjust and struggle with each other? What would you think would prompt the Fey to try and seperate from their host nation?
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Fey/American Culture Conflict

Postby The Master » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Neo.

Some questions to consider: If there are millions of them how much territory are they asking for? And where exactly is it? How long ago was the war? What were the consequences for Earth from the war we helped them win? Is there a lot of damage? Are the snow monsters still around or wiped out? Or just driven back and they might return? I think it would also depend on what powers the fey actually have...can they compel compliance by force?

One possibility would be that there was at least some attempt at integration first, such as in Alien Nation with the Newcomers (although most of them were still in a ghetto they were making progress). A forced segregation like in District 9 is another possibility, which may be the way to create a compelling reason for them to want autonomy. I'm not saying to copy either of those stories of course, merely pointing at some examples of how others have dealt with a related theme. You can also look to examples like Israel and how creating that country has gone.

I think you should also consider what you want the general story to be. Is it a political drama? Action oriented? A thriller? Will there be a central romance you will focus on? Again just as an example in the (highly derivative) Avatar the conflict between human and alien is secondary to the personal journey and relationships of one individual.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby NeoScribe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks for replying!

I imagined the story being both a political drama and an action oriented. Main characters include the President, the leaders of the Fey, and various people caught in the conflict once it goes south, a US soldier, a Fey soldier, a human in the Fey desired territory and a Fey child and family.

After some thought, I decided the Fey want the ten most north western states, as that is where most of them have since gathered. Everything between Minnesota and Iowa, and Washingston and Oregon.The war was about thirty years ago, and the Snow Monsters were wiped out after the portals closed on them and they couldn't retreat. Damage was severe, as they screwed up the enviroment by prolonging winter and bringing heavy snow where it normally wasn't present. The Army wasn't prepared for winter war and much of the eastern US was devestated before the monsters were held back a destroyed. About 9 million people were killed.

I've never seen Alien Nation but I like that idea of attempting integration, obviously this doesn't work the way everyone wanted but would you care to elaborate on how this worked in alien Nation? So far I have imagined that they Fey were originally in regugee camps after the war and were stuck there for a long time before relocation and resettlement attempts produced problems with the native popluation.
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Bmat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm

I thought of Alien Nation, too, and also of Cherryh's Foreigner series. In both of these there were large alien populations appearing on the world- in Alien Nation it was Earth, in the Foreigner series it is the homeworld of the Atevi. There was attempt at integration in Foreigner but eventually it was discovered that integration was impossible because of the hardwiring of the races (and a major war), so a big island was cleared of indigenous people and humans were settled there, with only one human as interface between humans and Atevi.

Your story does sound like something I'd be interested in reading.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm

First, go rent Alien Nation. The movie was a cop drama, the TV series that followed was more focused on their attempt at joining our society. Anyway, here's the movie trailer:
[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jURDHRINY[/BBvideo]

Given the set up I would think that if the Eastern US took that level of damage and the Fey now want a large portion of the nation's bread basket (the upper plains) the opposition to this would be significant. One possible path is to track characters from both sides who cross paths later in the story and realize they have more in common than they ever knew. The key here is to not be overly biased to one viewpoint or another so that the reader feels sympathetic to both. Alternatively you can decide up front to paint one side as the evil doers...again, this is how (most) humans were portrayed in Avatar. I think either story would be a good choice, and like Bmat I really like the concept and think it would be a story I would want to read.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Return to Suggestions and Ideas