speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Book Idea

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Magus » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:40 pm

Looks interesting. It's obvious that you've put a lot of thought into it. Good luck with the book! I'm sure it'll be something worth reading.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Spiderkeg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:59 am

How technological advanced are these races. Maybe due to their races dying, they've discovered an alternative to perpetuating their species instead of condeming themselves to fate. Sciences has progressed pretty far with cloning and genetic breeding. Maybe a method by which DNA is harvested and worked with, then either "born" in a lap or implanted in a female to allow for the natural birth. Perhaps the DNA just needs to be cleaned up, and that can only happen with the help of science because nature isn't going to help. Maybe, in the end, nature is trying to tell the races something... such as, lie down and die already.

Just an option.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:09 pm

It does sound interesting, There needs to be a pitch though, a central angle of some kind. In my opinion.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Havoc » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:55 am

Spiderkeg wrote:How technological advanced are these races. Maybe due to their races dying, they've discovered an alternative to perpetuating their species instead of condeming themselves to fate. Sciences has progressed pretty far with cloning and genetic breeding. Maybe a method by which DNA is harvested and worked with, then either "born" in a lap or implanted in a female to allow for the natural birth. Perhaps the DNA just needs to be cleaned up, and that can only happen with the help of science because nature isn't going to help. Maybe, in the end, nature is trying to tell the races something... such as, lie down and die already.

Just an option.

Thanks for the option.... I think.

Technology levels are low. Standard D&D technology, with maybe a possibility of black powder to be invented soon.
But you got awfully close to the magical experiments that will be going on in the book. They're going to use magic to try and alter a person on a genetic level and if that works maybe cloning.

@Neuro: I'm not sure about this, correct me if I'm wrong here. But isn't the war as seen by a historian thousands of years later a pitch, a central angle of some kind? :P
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anthentar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:23 am

One thing I would like to point out for a more detailed timeline if you create it, there are events other than wars that are extremly important as well. Marriages between powerful families, the death of an important figure, alliances, treaties, peaceful disputes. Also, it doesn't always require bloodshed for a government to change hands.

Just a few things to keep in mind when you get going with it. Sounds interesting though
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Havoc » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm

Anthentar wrote:One thing I would like to point out for a more detailed timeline if you create it, there are events other than wars that are extremly important as well. Marriages between powerful families, the death of an important figure, alliances, treaties, peaceful disputes. Also, it doesn't always require bloodshed for a government to change hands.

Just a few things to keep in mind when you get going with it. Sounds interesting though

Very Good point! Thanks to the nth degree!
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:56 pm

Yeah that is an angle. I just think there needs to be more of a rounded idea or concept behind it. An historian's account of a war. Who is this historian and what interests HIM about the war? Why is HE telling this story?
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Spiderkeg » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:18 pm

If the whole story is being told to the reader in a narrative style, and the teller is the historian recounting the history and days gone by... you could have a lot of fun with such a concept. A lot of twists could also be thrown in.

The most simplest answer would be, the historian is the last of a great band of heroes who triumphed over this great adversity which resulted in this land of peace he now grows old in.

Maybe the historian is the villian, recounting the days in which he was in power, but then the band of heroes defeated him, things got out of control, and while he lost and they are dead, he now sits an old man telling the stories.

Maybe the historian is recounting when he/she was with the band of heroes as a child, who helped but also witnessed all the horrifying events of this massive turning point in the grand scheme of the world. Now older, the person is now telling the story to a younger generation to continue on what took place.

Lots of possibilities. I like it when the teller of the story isn't what or who you expect. In the movie the "Postman" the teller of the story is the daughter of the Postman, recounting all the deeds her father did and how it affected the world as a whole. Might be neat though to have the story being told from the point of the villian, after all is said and done, who is now so old to focus on his once important desires/intentions and is now focused on being old and carrying on a tale of a land far, far away.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Havoc » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:27 pm

He's a historian who has a passion for uncovering events that have been forgotten. You know, like most modern day historians. The events described in the book happened 3000 years ago. A long time even for an elf. This elf has had a passion for books he literally grew up in a library. He loves books, he loves writing, he loves history. He writes books about history and this would not be his first.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anthentar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:57 pm

Hey, that villian idea has some serious posibilities attached to it. Just imagine, a descendant of a defeated power is telling the tale of his people's fall from glory, and yet after so many years he is able to understand the other side of the war as well. Of course he would still be a little biased to his own side.

The possibilities are endless but it may require some thought as to what side this historian is leaning towards, what he is trying to accomplish and so on. The choice is up to you in the end. Have fun with it
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Havoc » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:08 am

Well, the Katori won't really be writing a book on it considering they were nearly completely annihilated and the few that remain are being hunted down like a fox in England. (Or a whale that shows itself to a ship bearing the Norwegian flag.)
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:15 pm

Some good ideas there, Spiderkeg! I too like the idea about the villain telling the story. I agree that it is great when the narrator turns out to be somebody expectant.

If he's an historian I still think he should have some emotional tie to the tale. What if the outcome of the war changed his life in some way? Or maybe he was a warrior and played some minor part in it, happening to meet the central characters at some point perhaps. Or perhaps he turns out to be the last character we meet. Perhaps he congratulates the hero at the end? Maybe the hero marries his daughter, or something.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas