speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Book Idea

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Spiderkeg » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:36 pm

Maybe the historian/librarian played a crucial part in the story, but unknown to everyone else. The idea that in some major vital moment in the war, he did something stupid or accidental that caused many to die. He never told anyone, and is riddled with guilt. So he tells the story as it should be, or should have been, and tells the real story of how some warrior did something unexpected that changed the world in the worst way possible. Or perhaps his act, even unknown to him, had a possitive outcome afterall. The story can really focus though on the guilt the historian/librarian is tormented with.
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Manji » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Neuro Says: Who is this historian and what interests HIM about the war? Why is HE telling this story?

Uh, because he's a historian and the war simply interests him? Like most historians, he would have a love for history.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Havoc » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:11 am

Manji wrote:Neuro Says: Who is this historian and what interests HIM about the war? Why is HE telling this story?

Uh, because he's a historian and the war simply interests him? Like most historians, he would have a love for history.

EXACTLY!
Not that his motives matter all that much since he writes the book, he's not part of it. So the only time you'll get a glimpse of him is during the introduction.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:42 pm

Sure ok, it's your book.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Manji » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:38 am

Two things.
1) Yes, it's his book.
2) It's only logical that the historian have no connection to the war. Why do modern historians who have no connection to the War of the Roses write about it? Or the American Revolution? Because the era and it's happenings interest them.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Havoc » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:44 am

MANJi! You understand! Wow! Someone understands me! It's like.... like..... like........ehm..... I forget what it's like.

Just me being overdramatic.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:00 pm

Sassy Manji. I was thinking that you'd want your main character to have an emotional connection to the story. Anyway.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Havoc » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:12 am

He's not the main character. He's the Author! The books is about a war that happened 3000 years ago, the historian has no connection to this war apart from his passion for history. Ergo, he's not part of the war, he's not part of the story, he's not part of the book.
He just wrote it.

I'm aiming for a genuine looking history book here, not another novel about a war from an emotional point of the main character. None of the genuine history books of this day are written by a person who was actively or emotionally involved with the war, simply because they lack objectivity.

I want this book to show both sides of the story, I want to portray the atrocities that have been wrought by both sides and I want to explain the impact those actions had on the world as a whole. I can't do that if they author is emotionally involved and thus isn't objective enough to make these points. Therefore, the historian is just that, a historian who has made a name for himself by being thorough, honest and having uncovered many historical events. That is all. There's nothing more to him, not a thing. End of debate.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:00 am

I must say that it sounds good to me. I think it would be something fresh to the world of fantasy, which sadly lacks much of just that, being to entrenched in the trends of the old.

It sounds like it will work out very well. Neurolanis has a point that it might create some manner of distance from the reading to the text, but I have no doubt that you'll be able to pull it off. If your story is engaging and your idea as good as it sounds then you have very little to worry about.

Good luck!
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Havoc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:00 am

:thanks:

I've recently bought some research in the form of a history book and Mythology for Dummies. However, since I'm also busy trying to find a job and going for my driver's license so the going will be slow.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anthentar » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:38 pm

Personally, I prefer to witness something from the eys of a person that was there. Something gets lost in the translation if the reader isn't actually transported into the world. I also love a story as portrayed from a particular side, or some different points of view. A conflict as viewed by a general is much different than it is viewed by a shocktrooper on the front lines. Makes for a wonderful tale when you combine these points of view. Just my personal opinion though
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Spiderkeg » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:03 pm

My curious question is, what's so important and different about this historian? I would wager, that in the 3000 years since all this "stuff" has gone down, that someone has come before THIS historian and already written the events that took place.

Also, generally speaking, most historians tend to throw in some bias attention to detail when it comes to telling history. Can't be helped... it's human habit.

Anthentar: I'm completely on the same page with you. I feel that if the historian telling the story has some personal connection or tradegy to the events that took place 3000 years prior then that makes for good reading. Of course the reader isn't aware of such details, but when the truth comes out people will smack their foreheads and be all shocked. ;)
Spiderkeg
Site Regular
Site Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas