speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Book Idea

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Book Idea

Postby Havoc » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:48 am

For as long as I can remember I've been fantasizing, wondering, and creating worlds. Up until I had numerous unfinished little worlds with story-ideas, conflicts and a gazillion Gods.

So, I decided to scrap all the Gods and throw all the other worlds on a heap and combine them into one. Miraculously, it worked and it turns out that one single world with so many different directions, story-options and what-not was a lot more believable then any of those little world apart were.

I've got at least half a dozen topics to write about, giving me all the diversity I could crave (save for SF). Yet one of these ideas is a bit dodgy, which is why I've come to pitch it here.

The world has a very eventful history, many of which would make excellent subjects for historians. The idea was that an elven scholar and historian had written a book about one of these events and that my book would actually be that book. So in essence the book I'd be writing would be written like a history book. It would be like a historian has written a book about the crusades, only it's in a fantasy setting.

The difficulty lies in the fact that this means there are no characters to speak off.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Havoc » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:56 am

Here's the primary outline of the book:

Introduction:
An Elven Scholar introduces himself and the well known concept of the Katori War and Kaetran War.

Chapter one: The Katori
The Scholar introduces an account of who the Katori were based on clues and tales of long ago.
The Scholar also mentions some dig sites on their homeland of old Katori-settlements.

Chapter two: The Orc
The Scholar introduces an account of the Orcish race, dispelling many myths that circulate amongst the more ‘civilized’ races about this Tribal race. He speaks highly about the Orcish government and it’s tribal society. He links these with the past. (Note: Orcs are not evil.)

Chapter three: The Kaetra
The Scholar introduces the Kaetra as the offspring of Orc and Katori parents. (Half-breeds, incapable of breeding with either Orc or Katori, but perfectly capable of breeding with each other, an entirely new race.)

Chapter four: The Katori Wars
The Scholar tells of the political strife between the Elves and Katori which resulted in a war between the two races. He then goes to explain why the Katori left the Elven lands after the Elves had made pacts with the Humans. (excerpts from original Elven news-reports of those days)

Chapter five: The Orcs and Katori
The Scholar explains why the Orc accepted the Katori reluctantly at first, but more openly later on and how the relations between the two were. (excerpts from Orcish stories of those days)

Chapter six: The Kaetra emerge
A brief account on the strife that the Orcish and Katori governments had once the appearance of half breeds was confirmed.

Chapter seven: The Genocide
Katori start to gather the now numerous Kaetra to exterminate them.

Chapter eight: The Kaetran War
The Kaetra escape their prison camps and send word to their kind who live in Orcish territory. These Kaetra plead with the Orcs who soon find themselves defending the Kaetrans. War is declared by the Katori but the Orcs soon have the upper hand.

Chapter nine: The Second Genocide
The Kaetra pursue the Katori until most are slaughtered.

Chapter ten: Katori Rumors
The accounts and tellings of Katori spottings after the events of the Second Genocide.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:42 am

(Half-breeds, incapable of breeding with either Orc or Katori, but perfectly capable of breeding with each other, an entirely new race.)

I'd just like to point this out from a biological perspective. If this did happen the offspring would be entirely sterile. Look at example of this alive today, of species so closely related to each other being able to breed. Look at Ligers (Lions and Tigers) and Mules (Horses and Ponies). Neither can breed with any of their sires nor can they breed amongst themselves. I'd just like to caution you with this, maybe you'd care to make a note of it in the book.

Now, you say that you have no characters to speak of? Try focusing on several of the mightier characters in your text. Maybe follow political leaders or mighty warriors from each race, or maybe just figures of note. Choose some from each race, Orc, Katori, Kaetra, etc... Include brief myths, maybe, and other stories.

This really sounds like an incredibly interesting idea, one that I think will do well if done properly. Good luck with it! And, just looking at what you have here, you may want to pick up and read a copy of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillian. I think it could help you with some of your questions. Although, I must say, don't do as he did and make fifteen or twenty of your main characters all related to one another and all having names that begin with "FAR" and end in "FIR".

:rofl:

That was so annoying.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Havoc » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:16 am

It's a good point you've made about the mules. It had been in my thoughts as well. Suffice it to say that not all of my preliminary designing was noted down here and some magic is added to the equation that made the Kaetra. In the book it will be detailed a lot further, naturally.

As for the Silmarillion....... I tried. Often. I don't really like Tolkiens Elves so just getting through the first pages is a trial for me. I'll take your advise to heart and try again once I've finished my current book: Moby Dick.

[Edit]Oh dear, censoring. Moby D*ck.[/edit]

Thanks.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Alaskamatt17 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Magus, I think there have actually been a few successful attempts at breeding Ligers with other Ligers. I don't know where I saw it, but there was this one zoo's webpage that explained it.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein
Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Magus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:21 pm

Really? I'll have to look around for that. My Biology book last year left it pretty final, but we all know how science works and it was probably after they were printed... in fact, I hear, they got new ones for this past year.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Manji » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:19 pm

If you're going to write a history book, you really should read some of the best.
Stephen E. Ambrose is my favorite. Read some of his books and I think it may solve your problems.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Havoc » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:34 am

Manji wrote:If you're going to write a history book, you really should read some of the best.
Stephen E. Ambrose is my favorite. Read some of his books and I think it may solve your problems.

Thanks
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Manji » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:07 am

This is a history of the world, right? Not just the orcs? That isn't the outline of your entire book, correct?
If I'm wrong on any of these please point 'em out.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Baaljagg » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:55 am

about the characters.. i would defenitely put some in, it would make it a lot easier to read (at least for me). you could turn it into a reconstruction of what could've happened, or just make an account of what the scholar has learned from his sources.

sounds like a good story though :)

off-topic: isn't that ava from squidi..?
"...and I am not yet done." --Itkovian
"You're disgusting." He paused. "Say some more disgusting things." --Imid Factallo
Baaljagg
New User
New User

Postby Havoc » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:31 am

@ Manji: Actually yes, this was supposed to be a very deep going book on how the Kaetran race came to be. I mean, if you look at any conflict on our own earth, they each have dozens if not hundreds of books written on them. That was the idea, I would make a book like that, only my war would be fictional, and located on another world.

Were I to write a book on the entire history of this world It'd be gargantuan. Just to give you an impression, I've so far made three major era's, each spanning at least 1500 years. And considering the fact I have combined four or five histories there's a lot of material there. So I wanted to life one of the most important conflicts of this world. Of those (The Culling, the Race Wars, the Kaetran Wars, The Fright and the Kaslir Crash) this one was the most interesting because it saw the dawn of a new race, and the demise of another one.

@Baaljagg: That was my concern, exactly. I could lift out some of the major historical figures, or have ordinary letters from that time become crucial and printed in the book because there's so few of those left.
Off-topic: Yes.
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Conceptual Time Line for Tago (I.e. not for the book)

Postby Havoc » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:18 pm

Concept Time Line for Tago

0 Creation of Tago
0<-> 5 Opening Wars (to gain dominion over Tago)
5<->2056 Dragon Dominion
1498 Advent of Magic in the lesser races
2056<->3010 The culling (lesser races cull the Dragon population)

0ADD <-> 10 Alliance of Races (ADD=After Dragon Dominion)
10<->99 The Race Wars, Orcs leave the mainland and settle on (name yet to be decided on)
103 <-> 114 Katori-Elven Wars
114 Katori request asylum from Orcs
116 Katori Realm is established near the Orcish homes
200 First Kaetra reports
230<->236 Katori genocide on Kaetra, Kaetra seek shelter with Orc
236<->254 Halfbreed Wars (Katori vs. Kaetra & Orc)
350 Appearance of Kadri, Dragon resurgence
350 <-> 356 The fright
360 <-> 400 Human Emperor Kaslir Wars.
400<->1562 Kaslir Dynasty rules Tago
1414 Orc & Kaetra uprising
1414<->1420 Orcish & Kaetran Independence Wars
1420 Independence of Orcish & Kaetran nations
1420 <->1562 Belegerment of the Orcish and Kaetran lands.
1544 <-> 1562 Uprisings
1562 Crash of the Kaslir Dynasty
1562 Dwarves and Goliath retreat North to seek own home

0AK (after Kaslir)

1476 Creation of the Guild of Blades
1498 Guild of Blades comes under rule of Mrekous, major revisions
1502 <->1546 Reinhardt Wars

1835 Present Day

Events that have an impact upon the world but haven't been placed on the timeline yet:
- event (earlier document name) estimated time
- War of Slaves (Guild of Blades) ??

- Birth of Nubaror (Daemon) 2000 yrs ago
- Vampiric Nation under Siskin (Daemon) 2000+ yrs ago
- Founding of Muïlæ (Daemon) During Kaslir dynasty

- First Drifters (Tago) end of the Kaslir dynasty
Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Next

Return to Suggestions and Ideas