speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Write Idea

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby SirJill » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:58 am

Edgar Ellen Poe?

Sorry, it amused me.

However, I think you're completely right, Aldan. Well, all right, excluding one point. Most of the stuff which preceeded Poe was fluffy, it had substance and one can find deeper meaning in it, but I think the gap came because, as you said, the public just wasn't ready for it. It was a completely different kind of poetry than they were used to seeing, completely different type of poetry than anything which had ever been done before. Those subjects (incest for example) had never, ever been tackled by poets previously.

However, I don't think that something has to be a classic to be a good piece of writing. Well, actually, let me qualify that. Good writing effects people. It has a response, or a change in some fashion or form. That is what the best kind of literature does. All it takes, for me, is one person and it has been worthwhile.

I think we define greatness differently. Or, at least, there are two different ways to judge a work on its merit. By internal or personal standards and by external. IE: What you think, what other people think.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 am

*aldan blushes a yellow color, then slaps his forehead, yelling, "Doh!"*

I guess that maybe I was thinking of the sound, "Eep!" when thinking of Poe.... Yeah, that's it!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby SirJill » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:49 am

Aldan, do you have jaundice?

Chalk it up to a typo. It made me giggle, that's all.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby RHFay » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:23 am

Hello all!

To put it simply: creative writing is an art. Art is to be shared.

Why do we paint, sculpt, draw? It's a form of communication, a way to express an idea or emotion. Writing is the same; it expresses ideas, emotions, thoughts, etc., into words on paper (or, in the 21st century, on the computer screen).

A written story or poem never shared with anyone is like a painting or sculpture stored in a dark basement or attic. It's incomplete until shared.

That's my humble opinion, anyway.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Suggestions and Ideas