speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Write Idea

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Write Idea

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:43 pm

Posted By: Neurolanis Feb 29, 2004 - 03:45 pm

Why do we write? Is it arrogance? Are we mouthy jerks inside that are just too modest to express it vocally? Is it for a sense of eternity--words that stay? Do we...really just have nothing better to do? Is it a passion, like we all like to think, that is expressed in words because...writing pens are cheap? Is it because we have a dire need to communicate, and what other form is taken more literally? Is it because we all have a hidden sub-conscious desire to direct films, but we don't have the guts to go for it, so we write them? Or, is it because...we gotta do somethin'?

Maybe we just don't like reality--is writing just a literal way to escape it? (I think!) Do we really just want to be the centre of the universe, so we write that we are? Do we write because we read one really, really good book that touched and moved us profoundly, and we have a need to be there in the same way for someone else? Are we so lonely that we create a world of imaginary friends? Are we nuts? Did words get tangled into our minds at an early age--that "Big Bird" book at age two that gave you a psychodelic experience? Did our parents say "you're gonna be a writer"?

Did we read a whole lot of bestselling novels and think..."I could do better than that"? Are we possessed? Is it because we're dumb enough to think we can make money at it because of some success story we heard at some point of confusion in our lives? Do we love the language, the usage of words? (Nah, if we did we'd learn French or Italian) Is it our destany--we were born to write? Is it genes? Is it a way for our unconscious self to communicate--are we speaking to ouselves? Do we wish to show the world the way people or the world SHOULD be?

Why am I writing this?...I must be bored.

Posted By: Eleika Mar 01, 2004 - 06:15 am

As much as this is probably a philosophical-discussion thread, it's also probably going to wind up as a share-your-experiences thread, so here's my answer.

Stories are spells. I like stories. I get entranced by them. I sacrifice sleep, sanity, and schoolwork just to finish them. I've been raised with stories, and I love to hear/read/see them in all their forms.

To me, stories are spells cast by the writer upon the reader. If they're really good, they'll hold your attention and you won't be able to put it down. If that's not enchantment, what is?

Reading was encouraged in my household, and still is. Out of me and my three sisters, even the two less-bookish ones still read a lot by comparison to their classmates. Fantasy and Sci-Fi reading was encouraged in particular. My dad owns a lot of the paperback original editions of a lot of popular books, from Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall trilogy to Terry Brooks' Shanarra series. I gained a thorough Fantasy and Sci-Fi education between this and my local library.

Pretty soon, I was bursting with my own ideas. I was able to imagine my own worlds and characters. I had (and still have) my own stories to tell. I want to be able to cast that kind of spell, too. It's the strongest magick I know.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 01, 2004 - 08:24 am

Well, how about that. Good topic.
Why do I write? That is a philosophical question, to which I have an answer in two parts:
1) My ego needs stroking.
2) I love to explore my own philosophies, as well as those of others, through my characters and plots, and then share those discoveries with others.
The first one is for obvious reasons... as a child on through my life until I first started to write creatively, I had not much of a self-concept (I was scrawny, with lousy dexterity and poor eyesight, and I was quite shy (until I decided to try doing things to shock people, forcing myself to BE noticed). This, therefore, caused me to want to find something that I COULD do well, and I found that writing was something that I could do better than most other people, so I chose to write. I chose fantasy/sci-fi in particular because I'd been exposed to them back in elementary school, and the "fake" worlds were a wonderful escape from my unhappy reality.
The second has to do with my plotlines and characters - I love to explore "issues" such as family or racial tensions, the search for oneself, interpersonal relations betwixt people who don't particularly like each other, but who DO love each other, and other such things. Those things, plus the sense of DISCOVERY inherent in both science fiction AND fantasy are what make writing it FUN, because as I'm writing, when things COME TO ME, there's a WONDERFUL sense of discovery there.

Posted By: Neurolanis Mar 02, 2004 - 12:54 pm

Yes, self-discovery. Writing has been an escape for me as well. In writing I feel a sense of power and security. Here is a world where I have control. People have compassion. The true evils are recognized and fought against, and in the end good wins out. Perhaps it is a way of bringing out the dark things from deep inside of me and projecting it into tale. All those who have wronged me or others that I care about are the "bad guys", and must pay.

Writing is surely intimate. Just as dreams and now fantasies are analyzed by psychiatrists, I am sure that story writing too opens a window to the mind and soul. Like the 007 novels, for example. Q is much like an uncle figure, giving Bond toys to play with, serving as a partial parent figure but with no real authoriety over him. The boss M is the mother figure--Flemming's own mother, he called "M", you know! The father figure is reincarnated each time as the villain character. He owns the kingdom where Bond will live to bring him down, and always Bond is caught and punished for it at some point.

I think that the stories we write reflect our personal lives, beliefs, fears and struggles. I guess it is much like dreaming, only more conscious.

Posted By: Proserpina Mar 04, 2004 - 10:42 pm

Why do I write? It hurts not to. Am I crazy? Yes. Do I feel a need to express myself through characters, worlds and situations that I create and control? Sure.

Its actually hard to express in a way that makes a lot of sense WHY I choose to write. It's just something I do that feels like the RIGHT thing to do. I just DO it, you know? It's what I have hidden inside of me that I need to express in some way, and writing is the form in which it flows most easily. It's just a sort of ache inside of me to create something, a sort of buzz of characters and worlds and ideas that want to be shared. And like Eleika, I feel like stories are enchantments. When I read an author who effectively conveys a character or story in such a way that I am spellbound, I feel a desire to be able to do that too.

So I guess my answer to why I choose to write is that it's what I DO. I have to.

I probably sound like a complete wacko, but whatever. I guess that description can be taken as a compliment. Heh. It is a little past my bedtime and I drank caffeine too late in the day.... weee.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 05, 2004 - 06:23 am

Writers are a species of humans all our own and the only one who understands our passion is other writers. I write because in my town i am alone in this area and have no one to talk to about my ideas and find that in writing i talk to my characters and tell their stories. Again others do not understand us because indeed it is what we do Proserpina, and it is also an escape from reality for me. There is no bigger sense of freedom when you are writing about heroes fighting for what they believe in and there is no high you can get that can match the one you get from pride after you look upon the finished product of what you have created.

We are not wackos they are for not wanting to do what we do. Of course if everybody did it we would not be unique.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 05, 2004 - 08:13 am

I've heard someone say, "Artists are wack." I'm sure they have a right to this opinion, just as I'm sure that this opinion has SOME basis in fact. However, I don't really have a problem with this, due to the fact that even before I'd become "an artist", I was called "wack", so now I have a reason to be called wack! /clipart{evil}
We really should all be treated as R.A.H. said he requested to be treated while he was working on a project (a story/book) - be locked in a room with all his tools for writing, and then just have his food pushed into the room with a stick (no knocking, no door opening - just create a "food doggie door) until he's finished.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 05, 2004 - 08:14 am

doh!

Posted By: Ariette Mar 05, 2004 - 03:59 pm

Yeah, you're right Eleika, this is going to be a psychological/philosophical discussion.

Me, why I write, is to (usually) vent. I am not a person who's been writing fantasy for a long time like the rest of you. I am more of a fiction writer and non-fiction writer.

Non-fiction is my biggest outlet...I write a lot of essays (self-exploritory, theory related,etc.) and I have been recording my life in a journal since I was 8. I consider myself an introvert and an observer, and I'm kind of addicted to looking back and criticizing/exploring my life. It's really self-centred and borderline crazy, but it's therapy for me, and if I didn't have that outlet I KNOW for a fact that I would be severly unhinged.

Another reason why I write is because it's entertaining. I like making up stories...I was really good at 'house' as a littel girl...if that counts for anything. Developing characters and watching them change and evolve is FUN. Writing, as it probably is for the rest of you, is my art. I paint and do beadwork and sketch, but writing is my medium of choice. It's more fun to produce something you know that more than one person will understand (the majority of the time) and that is easily replicated for hundreds (if you want) to enjoy.

Well. I seem to have lost my train of thought. I may pick this up again later.

Posted By: Nightblade Mar 07, 2004 - 05:20 am

I think there are various reasons why people write, no da. I write because I want to improve my literal skills and project my thoughts from my head to paper/screen. Meh, then there's the aspect of whether it's decent enough to show toothers. It's all fun.

Posted By: Eleika Mar 08, 2004 - 02:04 pm

Aldan, you just used the wrong slash. It's "\", not "/".

I agree about the venting. Sometimes some of my better writing (though not all the time) comes out of ranting in my Livejournal. Yet on the other side of things, I wonder ... I feel like I don't write as much Fantasy, now that I have a journal to write in. By burning off steam, maybe I'm taking away from my real writing.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 08, 2004 - 02:09 pm

Is awr about barance. If ruse barance, ruse abirity an' desiah. So say bootah.

Posted By: Eleika Mar 08, 2004 - 02:24 pm

*shakes head sadly*

Now you're just incoherent.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 08, 2004 - 03:05 pm

Being incoherent is part of my inexplicable and indefinable charm, or something like that.

Posted By: Neurolanis Mar 10, 2004 - 03:26 pm

Writing is defendantly an expression of emotion. When I am angry my stories are angry, when sad they are sad, when happy...and so on.

To me writing is the same as "art", and actually is. I am, and always was, foremost a visual artist. Usually this is fine pencil drawing, eiter of detailed forest land or cottages, etc. or abstract (which draws far less respect but which is my fav., as it allows me to express my unconsciousness fully.) Anyway, to me visual art and writing ARE exactly the same expression, only different in pysical form. I have felt this sense childhood. All artistic people that I have spoken with about this thus far have agreed with me, only the non-artistic ones couldn't understand it (wouldn't agree).

I feel that writers ARE artists, even if society doesn't except that fact. I think that people DO agree really, by feeling, but think that the word "artist" is technically wrong when used for writers. By definition, "anyone who practices the fine arts" is an artist. Why should this not include writing? I'll use the term openly, and often have to defend it.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 11, 2004 - 10:15 am

I, too, say that I'm an artist. In fact, I was asked by my roommate's girlfriend what art I practice (I was surprised that she thought I was an artist, I mean, I dont LOOK all that freaky, or anything...). I told her that I don't do physical art, I do emotional art, in that I write. That term really worked for me, since she understood it immediately. Maybe you could try something like that next time.

Posted By: Neurolanis Mar 13, 2004 - 04:04 pm

Yeah. You see I actually LOOK all eccentric and all, although I dress and act very normal...usually. People often know that I'm an artist strait away. Writers, specifically, are harder to spot. So many different kinds of people are writers. Visual artists are usually the private-natured, eccentric type. That sounds stereotypical, but it's true.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 18, 2004 - 07:14 am

Has anyone of us thought that hey we write to find ourselves. Personnaly i think each one of my characters have a little bit of me in them. And really and truly writing is where my true happiness lies. I am only happy when i write or am thinking of a story i am currently working on. So right now i am depressed because my writing hand is broke and i prefer to handwrite most of mine considering that is the old fashioned way.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 18, 2004 - 08:29 am

"...has a little bit of me in them."
I will control myself. I will control myself.
*Aldan wipes his forehead*
Phew!
You know something, Tal, you really should attempt to avoid breaking things that are important to you. I'd have thought you'd have learned that as a child...
Parents these days...!

Posted By: Bmat Mar 18, 2004 - 10:54 am

I am sorry to hear about your broken hand, Talon. I hope it doesn't hurt too much and that it is soon healed.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 18, 2004 - 11:14 am

Ah it hardly hurts and it should be healed in about another week or so, thanks for your concern though. And Aldan I will remember your advice in the future. You have just changed my life...*wipes tear from his eye* And i think my parents did just fine thank you, i mean they did not drive me to sleep in coffins.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 18, 2004 - 12:09 pm

Hey, my parents didn't drive me anywhere. I always had to walk, ride or drive myself...

Posted By: Mister Mystic Mar 20, 2004 - 04:36 am

did Aldan say artists are wack? them fightin words!
hehe always wanted to say that
but I kind agree with Talon my charcters kind of resemble me.

Posted By: Magus Mar 20, 2004 - 07:55 am

we are, in a sense artist of the pen and the keyboard. We are the sculptors of stories and the painters of prose. Tolkien is Danatelo. King is Michaelangello. Dickens is Leonardo. And we are all the Raphaels, Piccassos and Hildebrants of the written word. Do not mock artists for we are they. Our art takes shape in words, grammer, and sentence as opposed to color and texture. We are all artists of a different sort as we all create literary art.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 23, 2004 - 09:19 am

Right now i would consider myself one of a keyboard considering my hand is out of commision. But you are forgetting one of our bigest and well known comrades, Poe i love reading his work and they are enjoyable. Artist we are and artist we will always be. No one can change that and why would they want to. I mean we are not hurting anyone are we? Saying we hurt someone is like saying a dancer did. I don't know the world is just screwed up when they start insulting one of the oldest forms of art.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 23, 2004 - 11:25 am

I mock not. I LOVE art. I was simply making a statement about how others look at us, and how, according to those perceptions, we ARE kinda "wack", since so many of us aren't "normal" (I'M surely NOT) in the common vernacular, and all of us who write ARE artists, and when you look at the personalities of the artists, famed or otherwise, of which we know, then you'll see that the term does fit, IN THE COMMON VERNACULAR.

Posted By: Magus Mar 23, 2004 - 06:22 pm

"Saying we hurt someone is like saying a dancer did." Have you ever actually seen West Side Story??? What about Chicago??? Dancers kill!

Posted By: Magus Mar 23, 2004 - 06:25 pm

I agree with you Aldan, most artists in all forms were social outcasts, antisocial, eccentric, or just plain nuts. Van Gough cut off his ear for the love of pete (NOTE: This remark is not intended to offend any persons living or dead named pete) LOL. This is part of our originality and freedom to express ourselves. We are free to act outside of the social norm.

Posted By: ForeverZero Mar 23, 2004 - 07:04 pm

You know why old artists used to go crazy? Paint used to be made with lead in it, and painters used to clean their brushes by sucking on them.

Do the math, I suppose.

In any case, I prefer writing over any art form, althouhg I do consider myself a good pencil artist. The way I see it, when you draw a picture that's just one frame of the world you create. Why stop there when you can convey the entire adventure?

Posted By: gypsychic Mar 24, 2004 - 05:51 am

And some of the writers would go nuts from drinking too much absinthe. Although, if I'm remembering correctly, I think Van Gogh may have had some absinthe issues as well.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 24, 2004 - 08:23 am

Plus he had girl problems and other such...
If I remember correctly, he cut off the ear because of voices he kept hearing from it. He was trying to stop the voices.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 24, 2004 - 09:19 am

Thats disturbing. And no i have never watched West Side Story, sounds like i need to. As for the whole reasons why artist went crazy remind me never to suck paint brushes or drink absinthe. I do not think i would ever cut off my ear because of voices. I kind of like the ones in my head. The thing about most normal people i think is they have a fear of art and self expression so they single artist out to be different and wierd.

Posted By: Magus Mar 24, 2004 - 03:22 pm

"I know the voices aren;t REAL but they just have so many good ideas!" Didn't Van Gough give his ear to his g/f or sumthing? I also heard that he was a scitsofrenic or somthing. Awsome artist though.

Posted By: Eleika Mar 24, 2004 - 08:15 pm

Yeah, Van Gogh was on absinthe when he cut off his ear. (That drink is now apparently legal in Canada, but I never intend on touching it.)

Good theory, there. We are the Ninja Turtles of the written word.

Posted By: gypsychic Mar 25, 2004 - 05:12 am

Actually, I've read that he had ongoing ear infections in that ear. Sounds like a great reason to cut it off to me - lol.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 25, 2004 - 05:20 am

Nice analogy, i believe the fact we are different is what makes all writers the same. We all have are own style although we modify it to fit the genre we write in. Me i have found fun in fitting legendary creatures in sci fi, mainly dragons, my style of them is no breath weapon standing at least on nine feet tall on two legs and fights with weapons mainly blades, kinda a ninja turtle thing. The reason we do this is to give people the insight into our mind that they need to understand us, but it only drives them away. *rubs chin* Ignorant fools.

Posted By: Aldan Mar 25, 2004 - 07:00 am

Now, now, if you call names, then Bmat might give you a talkin' to... *Aldan grins once again in Beemer's direction*
They may be fools, but they're OUR fools. Oh, and when you see people who act like that... it helps you to create memorable bit players, doesn't it?

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Mar 25, 2004 - 10:22 am

LOL. Yeah they are our fools. Sorryu for the name calling Bmat, and it does help to create memorable bit players, kinda makes you laugh to when they ask why do you write?

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Apr 06, 2004 - 05:27 am

Does anyone else have the uncontrolable need to constantly write? I know I do, I will be laying in bed about three in the morning and just suffer because I need to get up in the morning but also have this hunger to use a pen for creation, its nerve wracking.

Posted By: Aldan Apr 06, 2004 - 07:57 am

*Aldan uses his cramped fingers to scratch his chin*
Nope. Doesn't happen to me.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:44 pm

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Apr 06, 2004 - 09:07 am

Well you're the lucky one, it happens in class to the teacher will be sitting there talking about who knows what and i will be writing on some story. It has about got me in trouble a few times.

Posted By: Aldan Apr 06, 2004 - 03:12 pm

No, I'm not lucky at all. My number is 13, and I was born under an upside down horseshoe, which then fell down and struck me in the soft spot. The finger cramps are from writing/typing.
I guess I need to re-take Sarcasm 101.
*Aldan sighs*

Posted By: Gnollslayer Apr 06, 2004 - 09:00 pm

Is there really a class called Sarcasm 101?

Posted By: Aldan Apr 06, 2004 - 09:16 pm

Yes. The professor's name is Goaheadanddowhatyouwantidontcare, and he has a master's degree in Ohyesthatsjustfine.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah Apr 07, 2004 - 11:05 am

Personally I have never taken the class but I will take next time you are in it Aldan.

Posted By: Aldan Apr 07, 2004 - 12:31 pm

*Aldan smirks*

Posted By: Queen Ehlana Apr 24, 2004 - 09:42 am

My reasons for writing:

~A need to express myself in a way that I can take the time to perfect
~I have a goal to inspire others because I think that the most wonderful feeling is to be inspired. Writing is the easiest way for me to do that besides with my actions, but my actions may not affect as many people as a piece of writing. Writing can be a lot deeper/personal and more permanent than actions, although that doesn't mean I don't intend to do my share of both.
~I'm good at it! I'm mediocre at most things I do just because I try, but writing is one of the only things I'm truly good at.

So maybe two-thirds of my reasons are due to my narcissistic perfectionism, but hell, we all enjoy doing things we're good at.

Posted By: Aldan Apr 25, 2004 - 08:18 am

*Aldan grins*
Narcissism. How totally foolish!
*Aldan finishes looking at his smile then puts his mirror back in his pocket*

Posted By: Queen Ehlana Apr 25, 2004 - 09:28 am

Haha... Seriously... That's what I was doing not so long ago.

Posted By: Talon_Sinnah May 06, 2004 - 10:29 am

I think another reason why I write is it is were my strength is. I have spent most of my life trying to change things I can not so I write to hide my frustration and to transform it into creation in hopes the solution will show itself.

Posted By: LightBrigade May 06, 2004 - 05:56 pm

*nodding at the direction of Talon_Sinnah*
Transforming this particular disappointment into creation can be enlightening both as a legacy and as a force for self-evolution, not merely development. While such a creator matures – some people get old, some mature – his work is likely to be of more beauty.

Anyway, it is the role of every young generation to challenge the status quo and try to change things. Without this move, mankind would not progress.

What about the not young any more who change things? As a fellow of mine said, everything great that has ever happened to humanity, ever since the beginning, has begun as a single thought in someone’s mind. If any of us is capable of such a great thought, then all of us have the same capacity, capability. Because we are all the same.(Yannis Chrysomallis, aka Yanni).

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Dec 03, 2004 - 06:18 am

If we all was the same then this world would be severly boring or annoying. Personally I think one of me is enough, I would probably hate the other me's. And I do not think the girls would look all that attractive to me either. It is bad enough looking in the mirror in the morning.

-Talon-

*looks around at the cobwebs*Man this topic has been closed off for a while.

Posted By: Magus Dec 03, 2004 - 01:42 pm

Yeah, I know what you meen.

Variaty is, indeed, the spice of life. Not everything has been written or even thought of. There is still plenty out there to write, if only people would just write what there is. You know what I meen?

Posted By: ForeverZero Dec 03, 2004 - 05:08 pm

M-e-a-n. Its a writing forum man, just correcting spelling errors. Plus, v-a-r-i-e-t-y.

But yeah, the reason why this world flourishes is because we are not the same. Some people excel far beyond others, and thus sets an example. People follow the examples and new example-setters come along.

Plus, if we were all the same we'd end up in a world like Equilibrium. And that's enough torture to make someone kill himself.

Posted By: Magus Dec 04, 2004 - 07:24 am

BAH! Grammer is for losers.

I'm kidding. My spelling is quite horid, I must admit. If only this site had some kind of spell check prior to posting.

Equililibrium, or even Fahrenheit 451.

Posted By: Aldan Dec 04, 2004 - 12:35 pm

GO F-Z! GO F-Z!
Oh, and it's horrid.
Oh, and if this site had a spell check program available, some would use it and some would become frustrated with all the editing and just stop posting... *grins evilly* but I don't know which you'd do.
My opinion on spelling checkers is that it has made many people lazy - "Why should I bother to learn to spell when my computer will spell it for me?" (oh, and I edited the sentence above, removing the horrid spelling errors)

Posted By: Magus Dec 04, 2004 - 05:32 pm

"horid"...

ummmm....

I did that on purpose to...ummmm... show how bad my spelling...is.

ummmmm...

right.

Posted By: Queen Ehlana Dec 05, 2004 - 07:26 pm

People really are the same. Yeah, sure, the details change, and the majority of people are tricked into thinking that we are really all different. This world is equilibrium, but it doesn't want you to think that.

You know, the themes of Sophocles have lasted through the ages. And there are only really four kinds of plots... There really isn't that much fundamental variety. It's just like I say in my speech: "although the details of life may not be perfect, life itself balances between the good and the bad..." And the rest of that sentence is deliberately cheesy.

Posted By: Magus Dec 06, 2004 - 04:23 am

That's very Guda advice, Queen Ehlana.

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 06, 2004 - 07:41 am

I think that "good times" are when bad things aren't happening. By that I mean to say that life is good, only with the inclusion of human ugliness. When we aren't being hateful, ignorant or materialistic, life is sweet.

Posted By: Queen Ehlana Dec 06, 2004 - 12:33 pm

In that case, life must never be sweet. We're always ignorant.

Magus: Guda?

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 06, 2004 - 12:36 pm

Yes that's true. There's always truth and untruth in everything that we say and do.

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Dec 13, 2004 - 08:36 pm

"The world that we live in is just a sugar coated topping" -Wesley Snipes Blade-

Life is full of snags and traps waiting in hiding to suck us in. To get down to the matter the only thing that makes us different is how we deal with the problems and our disposition when we recover from conflicts. On bad experience can change a persons view on life for as long as they live.

Posted By: Magus Dec 14, 2004 - 02:43 pm

Guda is a very delicious kind of cheese. My second favorite kind, actually, is smoked Guda. My actual favorite is blue, in case you were wondering.

Posted By: Caegaraneva Dec 22, 2004 - 07:56 am

AAAAAAAAH!!!! Blue cheese?? I whimper in fear when I see it...all MOLDY and everything??? Yes I know, all cheese is made by mold, don't even talk about it...but at least Cheddar doesn't show it!! I think Blue cheese is one of those
"snags and traps waiting in hiding to suck us in"

Posted By: Magus Dec 22, 2004 - 09:07 am

Blue cheese is, ironically, white. It's also very tasty. HAve you ever tried Chilie's Blue Cheese Bacon Burger? I get it there evry time!

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Jan 13, 2005 - 04:22 am

High all.

I have just finished this paper due... today actually and I consider it good. I started thinking it would fit this forum perfectly so decided to post it. Maybe it will spawn more discussion.

A True Writer

How do you consider one a writer? There are many ways you can distinguish a writer from a group of their peers. The most obvious is well they have to write. Writers add a piece of their soul in every piece they write. The soul makes the piece seem it is more alive and seems more real to a reader. A writer will also need to be a dreamer. A dream can inspire a great work and could send the writer to fame. There is always a story out there. Most say all the ideas have been heard, while the writers say they are not looking hard enough. Patience is the key for a person to find and write a story. Without patience one tends to grow tired and weary of a story and may quit. A writer will remain diligent through all times until he finishes a characters tale. Writers also have to be a little insane. When they have so many ideas running through your head the characters seem to have a mind of their own. A writer has to be a thinker and able to keep his mind on a single task. Anyone can write a story but it takes one who considers himself a writer and a artist to tell a story in words.

Hope you liked it. It basically says some of the things in this topic if not all of them.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 13, 2005 - 07:38 am

Yeah, I agree with it. (Some errors with grammar, by the way.) Ah, yeah insanity is a requirement. I suppose anything creative requires unattachment to being practice and grounded. You have to be a little over the edge. But can you imagine life any other way?"

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 13, 2005 - 04:12 pm

Lol Neurolanis, I can't imagine!

Posted By: Magus Jan 13, 2005 - 05:17 pm

I suppose I can. But it's not a pretty picture. In fact, it's hardly a picture at all.

Nice work, Talon Sinnah.

Posted By: Aldan Jan 13, 2005 - 06:00 pm

One point that Talon touched on that I'd like to expand on a bit... Robert Heinlein used to lock himself into a room that had an attached bathroom and he would have food "shoved in" to him. His wife wouldn't interrupt him or even see him except in extraordinary circumstances, and he's stay in there, sleep in there, eat in there and bathe in there until such a time as his piece was through a few drafts. This could take weeks. Some of us (oh, but not me... nonononononono!) tend to have a bit of sticktuitive difficulty, and thus have trouble completing their tasks. RAH found that for writing, that would often happen with him, so that was the solution he devised. Each of us, if we're truly driven to succeed in writing, will most likely need to come up with something similar that works for us which helps to eliminate distractions and encourages us to focus our efforts...

Posted By: Magus Jan 13, 2005 - 06:03 pm

Me, all I need is a little privacy, and maybe to be somewhere withought the internet, and I'll be fine. I just find that if I have access to the internet, I usually go online. And, when online, I usually come here.

Speculative Vision. It's a blessing and a curse.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 14, 2005 - 08:52 am

Well that's much like me. I've gone a week before without bathing, shaving, changing my clothes or even speaking to anyone. I'd get little sleep, and just dart out of my room for food or a bathroom break. I'd do this until whatever artistic project I was working on -- a short novel, drawing, group of poems, etc. -- was completed.

Then I'd come out like a newborn child, and people would stare at me like I was an angel descended from heaven or something. It was a fantastic feeling, and especially knowing that my work is complete. But with working for a living, PRACTICAL THINKING has pulled me away from my eccentricities somewhat; I find it hard to get that absorbed in my art. I hope I will again.

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 14, 2005 - 10:25 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
I just find that if I have access to the internet, I usually go online. And, when online, I usually come here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too Magus, I love this place!

Talon, I think your piece is AWESOME! And just as importantly, correct.

I have never yet been REALLY engrossed in my writing, I really envy you guys who can blaze through writing a book or poem in a day or two.

Fairion

Posted By: Magus Jan 14, 2005 - 11:08 am

Lately I've been holding off writing. My brother and sister came home and there came a point in writing where I just wasn't comfortable with what I was writing around them. It was a short scene in a short story of mine that was rather... seductive... but would snowball into the end of it. It's necesary and I just was a bit uncomfortable writing it as I talked to my sister on the next computer about Baldur's Gate. But she left last week and my brother gets a ride back to ISU tomarrow. I'll shortly be able to continue on with the story I was writing.

Posted By: Gnollslayer Jan 14, 2005 - 03:34 pm

I was scared for a minute that I had writer's block this week. I didn't write anything yesterday, and I only wrote 500 words the day before; but I just got a great idea for a story that I won't be able to set aside, and it'll keep me busy for at least 5,000 words!

Posted By: Aldan Jan 14, 2005 - 10:20 pm

That's great. Writer's block can be difficult, but I've found that for myself, if I get stuck, I try another style of writing, such as poetry, and after a few decent ones are finished, I can get back to my story and have the block avoided...

Posted By: Gnollslayer Jan 15, 2005 - 02:04 am

I just have to vary the way I write. I think I've said something about it in previous posts.

Basically, I can do timed writes for awhile until I get blocked that way, then I can write set word amounts every day until I get sick of it, then I can switch to spontaneously writing down quotes and character info until I get inspired and plug out a whole story in one sitting, then back to one of the previous methods.

Posted By: JWREmmett Jan 15, 2005 - 09:18 am

Sleeping a lot actually improves creativity.

Posted By: Magus Jan 15, 2005 - 01:11 pm

I heard that DaVinci slept no more then five hours a night, usually less. And you have to admit, that's one of the most creative guys to have ever lived.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Jan 17, 2005 - 10:58 am

So it did.

Thanks for the compliments on the paper. Man if DaVinci got less then five hours a night then I should be crearing a new world. I believe I have got a combined amount of about five in the last weekend.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 17, 2005 - 06:22 pm

Wow. I need a solid ten to feel truly rested.

Posted By: Magus Jan 17, 2005 - 06:24 pm

I get by on what little sleep I can get away with. It's late to bed and early to rise for me!

Posted By: Aslan Jan 19, 2005 - 07:39 am

Talon, good paper!
I very much relate to the writer you described.

Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 19, 2005 - 08:43 am

In the summers I sometimes go three or four days on four hours of sleep. Not often, but sometimes. Mostly though, I get less than five hours a night. Commercial salmon fishing sucks.

Posted By: Magus Jan 19, 2005 - 12:51 pm

In the summer I'm the last to go to bed, usually about 2:00 or 2:30 or even 3:00 AM. I'm also the first to get up, sometime between 6:00-8:00.

wait, strike that, I'm the second one up. My Mom falls asleep while reading and watching movies all the time. She gets up at about 4:00 or 5:00 AM.

You really do need, as a writer, to get enough sleep. But that amount varies from person to person. So, really, you just need enough sleep for you.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 19, 2005 - 03:20 pm

Wow. If I did that I'd be a zombii. Do you feel healthy and "with it" with only like five hours sleep?

Posted By: Magus Jan 19, 2005 - 05:13 pm

That's in the summer, I get a good seven during the school year. But, yeah. I'm O.K. with five hours of sleep. But I don't think I would be with too much less. Five hours though? I'm good enough to function with that.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 20, 2005 - 02:40 pm

I'm usually too plagued with thoughts to sleep soundly. when I do sleep well, I don't want to get up. I could just sleep forever and ever. When you're in that deep, super-comfortable trance it seems so much better than real life.

AM I RIGHT? AM I RIGHT?

Aaaanyway, I think being a writer is a lot like being a dreamer. Ideas come floating up, you get caught up in them, and you don't want to wake up. Only, you get to share your dreams with the world.

Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 20, 2005 - 03:06 pm

I used to have the coolest dreams!

I once had a seven part epic dream that spanned a whole week. This was when I was younger too, so each episode was at least eight hours long. There were characters I knew, and distant worlds with their own culture. I wish I could write as well as I can dream.

Nowadays, I have too much control over my dreams. Kind of like those super-powerful characters who are boring because nothing endanger them. I used to enjoy a good heart-pounding nightmare, but now I can just hold out my hand and anything I don't like gets washed away in a torrent of water.

That might be a cool idea for a short story, somebody who's super-powerful, but then they lose their power and feel utterly helpless when equipped only with average abilities.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 21, 2005 - 04:06 pm

Yeah? I used to have dreams like that. BIG dreams, I guess. Like larger than life, prolific, intense. Wow. My dreams these days are just kind of lame. People I know talking. Bla bla bla.

Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 21, 2005 - 04:28 pm

I had a really funny dream a couple months ago. I dreamed that I woke up, and Steven Spielberg was standing at the foot of my bed. He stared at my shelf in the corner with a forlorn look before saying, "you don't have any of my movies." Then, dejected he turned to walk out the door.

"Well," I said, "Jurassic Park was good. But you could've done better with A.I."

Posted By: Magus Jan 21, 2005 - 04:40 pm

I had a dream last night, a weird one too. I was in the band locker room, a rectangular room with wooden lockers from the floor to the ceiling that seperates the band room from the Foreign Language Hallway. There was no door to the band locker room and the door to the halway was made out of glass. So, for whatever reason, I was stripping down naked and was going to put on a swim-suite to go swimming. Well I get to be naked when I see Mr. Landing, the Chorus Director, and some blond girl staring intently at me, freakishly intent. So I grab a stand and cover up my naked self with it and then wake up.

Like I said... weird.

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 22, 2005 - 01:31 pm

LOL LOL Magus... Weird!
I used to think that I had dreams that would go on one night after the other, but the more I think about the more I am not so sure!

Gnoll, you are a commercial salmon fisher?!?? Sounds like the kind of thing that you hear about but never do, must kinda a neat job.
LOl I prolly am jumping to conclusions. (long swin back you know!!)

Well I often have neat dreams but if I don't write them down I forget...

Fairion

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 22, 2005 - 01:33 pm

LOL I'll see what I can dream up tonight!!

BenJaru

Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 22, 2005 - 02:35 pm

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of one of those people that seems like an oddity to everyone else. I've worked on the fishing grounds, (er... waters), every summer since I was in fifth grade. It sounds like an adventure to some people, but most of it is more boring than you'd think. I posted an essay about one of the more exciting times in the Non-scifi/fantasy section of the showcase if you want to know more.

The reason I started fishing is that I needed money to pay for college. I knew that I would have to go to school fo seven years or more to get a degree in paleontology, (I've said it numerous times: I'm a dinosaur nut).

I started writing seriously after a particularly hard day out on the grounds. The reason I started my first novel was that I wanted to make money some way besides fishing. I don't always mind fishing so much, but that day I did, and I knew from school that I had some talent at writing - not too much at the time, but I can be obsessive about things and it usually helps me improve. I also knew that I liked storytelling. It proved to be the perfect past-time, if not the perfect career. I'm approaching my millionth word of fiction now, and still not a single thing published!

Oh well, som day...

Posted By: Aldan Jan 22, 2005 - 03:43 pm

"I'm a dinosaur nut"
Left or right? (PS, dinosaurs didn't HAVE nuts, except perhaps for the herbivorous ones that ate from almond trees and such...)

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 22, 2005 - 05:05 pm

Good luck on your book, Gnollslayer!

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 22, 2005 - 05:08 pm

OOOOOOOH, ALDAN!

I hope somone doesn't interpret that one the wrong way... WAM!!!

Well, you have a telent for finding jokes don't you??
Whats your secret? Pleeaasse...

Fairion

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 22, 2005 - 05:14 pm

YES!! 100 POSTS!!!!

Fairion
Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 22, 2005 - 06:13 pm

Thanks Neurolanis.

And as for you Aldan... never mind. That was a pretty good one. I'll get you back, some day.

Posted By: Magus Jan 22, 2005 - 07:57 pm

This makes the second topic in Suggestions and Ideas, the first being Constitution, to break the 100 post mark. Good job all!

Posted By: Aldan Jan 23, 2005 - 12:23 am

*Aldan bows, keeping eyes locked with gnollie, then on the way back up, he smirks*
*Aldan then turns to Fairion, keeping gnollie at his vision's edge*
My ability is caused by my background. See, I grew up in bad circumstances, so I had to figure out something to help me to protect my emotional sanity. What I chose was humor, and specifically puns (low humor, the best sort because it hits where it hurts) but I am ever on the lookout for new ideas. I'm lucky as well in that I started out being an average speller, and then a switch was thrown in my brain and I suddenly knew how to spell just about everything, in English and Spanish, at least... so that gave me some more ammo for my punstol.

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 23, 2005 - 07:49 am

lol, I have the ability to make people laugh, by just being funny I guess, but I have never been very good at jokes. Or puns.

my spelling is bad bad bad...

LOL but I use spell check ALL the time

Fairion

Posted By: Magus Jan 23, 2005 - 02:56 pm

A friend of my brother who stayed with us for a while said that I was hillarious, more awesome then he is. Haha... take that Kevin... not the one on this site...

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 25, 2005 - 05:29 pm

People have said many times that I was very funny. I couldn't count the times that my antics won the statement, "That's the funniest thing I've ever seen!" Gosh. But I think spontaneity has a lot to do with it. I'm often so non-humorous that when I AM funny it takes everyone by surprise, off guard.

Posted By: Aldan Jan 26, 2005 - 07:22 pm

*Aldan grins, nodding* Surprise is the only way for humor to really work. If you expect a joke, it won't be all that great. However, if you're not really expecting it, but aren't in a bad mood (mood's a very important factor with humor), then the joke will be funny, or at least that's how it usually works...

Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 26, 2005 - 09:35 pm

Everything must surprise you, huh Aldan?

Anyways, I just came on here to say that I started my first creative writing class today, and it was awesome. I found it ironic that the professor used examples from Stephen King's books, since he looks down upon writing workshops. It's

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 27, 2005 - 06:57 am

lol. I think all truly great writers do. They'd say JUST THROW YOURSELF INTO IT! And I agree. If you have the interest then I believe in you. You can learn from the class, no doubt. Yet, any institutional environment threatens you with a sense of dependency -- dependency upon certain viewpoints, styles, etc. It's a big risk to take, that you don't lose something special in the process. Learning about grammar, craft, etc. has got to be a great bonus, but just don't lose your individual driving point! So to speak. Teachers of the arts -- visual arts and writing -- have a way of drawing attention to the "style" -- common visual conception -- of certain individuals of whose work they, and usually the establishment, believes to be good. But King doesn't write from style and form, and writes WITH style and form. There's a difference. He, like any good writer, writes from his HEART, period. Usually, as far as I've seen, teachers will commonly miss that central point and focus entirely upon how his "style" works and translates. Yeash.

I guess I'm just saying keep heart. Slap me if I'm corny.

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Jan 27, 2005 - 10:08 am

Hey Neuro SSSSSMACK!!!(no offense intended)

Sorry I just had to do that. My brother's character did that to one of our friends characters in D&D. I agree anyway. I know when ever my teacher tried to make me use a writing workshop my arrogant nature would kick in and evaluate whether or not I needed to use it. Needless to say if I thought I did not then I simply would not use it.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 27, 2005 - 11:36 am

*Oach!*

Posted By: Magus Jan 27, 2005 - 01:39 pm

I agree with Neurolanis... the first post and not the one immediately above this one. I think that you can learn much from those kinds of classes... but only so much, and all depending on the quality of teacher as well.

I would take a creative writing class at my school except that crazy English teacher I have and always complain about is the one who teaches it. She even talks behind their backs in our class saying that they're "Rejects from the Hypie era". I know who she's talking about and I take offense to it. I just haven't found the courage to tell him about it.

But, apparently, she's trying to get a job someplace else, Western University. I pray for any who have her over there but will dance like Kevin Bacon in Footloose if she leaves, which would allow me to take the course.

Posted By: gnollslayer Jan 27, 2005 - 09:52 pm

My professor is a slight bit crazy, but I value her opinion. After all, she's published and I'm not. I know publication isn't everything, but it does imply that she kind of knows what she's doing.

She doesn't seeem to teach style and form as much as how to notice details around you. She has a bit of a sadistic tendency toward things, though. Her example of finding inspiration in ordinary things went along the lines of: "Look at this window here, it's just a transparent thing you wouldn't ever notice. But if a bird hit it, you'd notice. You'd think, 'wow, that's interesting that something can be so transparent that the beasts of the air fly into it and break their little necks.' But that's just me being myself again."

It won't be so much of a class where we learn technique as one where we get feedback from our first audience. Next week everyone in the class will turn in a story and the professor will copy them all. For the subsequent three weeks, she will assign us to read five of the stories and write comments on them to deliver to the author in class.

I am a little worried that most of the students will be writing more "literary" work than I am. I intend to write only sci-fi and fantasy, but a lot of the people are writing essays or poetry. I know a lot of people regard fantasy as juvenile or formulaic, and I'm afraid they'll inflict such desciptions on my writing without giving it a fair chance.

The professor doesn't mind speculative fiction though. On the first day we watched a movie about myth and the heroic journey. It included references to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, as well as popular Greek and Native American mythology.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 28, 2005 - 06:02 am

Yeah, like I said you'll learn a lot but you'll have to be careful not to lose. If you want to please her read books such as "Myths and myth-makers: Old Tales and Superstitions Interpreted by Comparative Mythology" by John Fiske and anything by Andrew Lang or Charles M. Skinner. I'm reading that first book now. Sigh, it's half-way interesting but none too inspiring, still, it's the kind of established rubbish that a professor would expect you to know when writing myths or legends as it does lay out the background of established literary belief in the field., and the -- partial -- origns of certain mythical creatures and elements that could make you look foolish in her eyes if you didn't have some background on their roots. You can get this stuff for free off http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog

Posted By: Magus Jan 28, 2005 - 10:08 am

Fantasy = Juvinile? Not around here, and not anybody I know. That's just... wrong.

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 28, 2005 - 01:30 pm

Ya... WRONG!!

Actually, Fantasy is probably harder to write than most things, because you have to make stuff up, you can't just research everything you need to know.

Juvanile?!?!?

*Thwack*

Posted By: Magus Jan 28, 2005 - 01:38 pm

OUCH!

Hey! I agreed that it wasn't Juvinile! Quite whacking me! He said carry a big stick, not swing it! Does this look like a baseball diamond to you?

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 28, 2005 - 04:06 pm

I actually find Fantasy easier to write than other genders BECAUSE you don't have to research! But yeah, it requires imagination and is nothing to look down at.

Posted By: Aldan Jan 28, 2005 - 06:50 pm

'Juvenile' is something that he was making a point about. He wasn't saying that HE thought it was juvenile, but that many other 'serious' writers thought it so, which is true, just as it's true that much of Fantasy is rather formulaic. However, I don't think that it's juvenile myself. I like fantasy fiction that is disguising the point it's trying to make, unlike many more 'serious' types of literature that will hit you over the head with it.

Posted By: Aldan Jan 28, 2005 - 06:52 pm

One important thing that most 'serious' readers miss is that fiction is for ENTERTAINMENT. If a book has a great point to make, but obviously won't sell because it's not entertaining to read, it most likely won't be published by an even semi-major publisher...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:48 pm

Posted By: Magus Jan 28, 2005 - 07:01 pm

Correct. And fantasy, as always, is true to form... mostly.

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 28, 2005 - 08:43 pm

Oooh Sorry Magus, did it hurt very much??
*puts somthing soothing on the big black and blue spot*

I guess I will get rid of that stick, too easy to hit loud things by accident!!

Oooh Nooo, I WISH you wouldn't do that:
"Correct. And fantasy, as always, is true to form... mostly."

MOSTLY?? That modifier Ruins your statement... Magus, Magus, run run, for all hope is lost.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 29, 2005 - 07:15 am

Pass it around, BenJaru. We'll all have a go!

Um, I think the quality of the writing speaks for itself. The same people who would talk down about the average fantasy novel would shut their mouths at the mention of Tolkien -- or likely, open them to nicer effect!

Posted By: BenJaru Jan 29, 2005 - 02:47 pm

Lol, So Be It Brother.

Posted By: Magus Jan 29, 2005 - 05:18 pm

I'm just saying that certain fantasy novels are not up to snuff, which is the reason for the added "mostly". Has anybody here had the displeasure of reading the poorly novelized version of Baldur's Gate? Philip Athans is a disgrace to fantasy.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 30, 2005 - 11:05 am

I haven't. Please explain why.

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Jan 31, 2005 - 09:48 am

I haven't Magus please illaborate.

And most know how I feel on Tolkien here so I will not voice my opinion.

Posted By: Magus Jan 31, 2005 - 12:53 pm

O.K. I'm unsure if any of you are familiar with the storyline of Baldur's Gate, the games that is. I'll try to explain.

First of all they butchered the main character. Granted there was a lot of leeway that an RPG will leave you with the main character. But the guy made HUGE mistakes that can't be overlooked.

Thye MC, at the beginning, has never left his home, the library fortress of Candlekeep. And yet, in the novel, he's a seasoned warrior who's travelled all over the world.

Before the start of the game the MC had never killed anybody. He was, notwithstanding his father, innocent. in the novel he had killed a lot of people. He was a mercenary!

The MC, in the game, is extremely close to Gorion, his foster father. In the book he was astranged from him; hand't, as a matter of fact, seen him in years.

In the game there are several characters that are fairly central, ones that appear in all the other games and are meant to be central characters but not neccesarily. Imoen, his close friend and later revealed step sister, doesn't appear at all. She's supposed to have followed him when he went out with Gorion and then showed up after he died. In the game you don't have a choice BUT to bring her along but she's not even brought into the book at all, despite key information she holds.

Other central characters, awesome characters that are wonderful and enterttaining and derep, never appear.

He kills on a whimm, with a lack for any provocation at all. He sees a man at a bar and kills him. No more and no less.

He kills a woman's husband. In the game they act as your legal guardians, although you are odl enough to choose. He kills one of them and then somehow developes a romantic interest with her wife. They butchered a strong willed and fierce character from the game and made her a shallow, petty one dimensional romantic interest withought any origional thought. And here the guy killed her husband in cold blood, a poor firghtened but good natured man who studdered faily badly but was very nice and lovable.

There was no real flow to the story. They decide to go to a mine, a very key locationin the game that incorperates the entire plot, and they do it withought any reason. It is, more or less,

"Oh, no! I killed a man in cold blood! Let's go to this remote location for no reason at all other then the fatc that we can!"

They don't develope any characters at all. It's short choppy and withought any redeaming social or literary merit whatsoever. They took one of the greatest stories in fantasy (Not THE greatest, but one of the top three to be sure) and made the single worst novel I have ever read or ever heard of.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jan 31, 2005 - 05:54 pm

ooo. I've never played the game but I see what you mean. Pretty sad when an author can't stand up to the writing of a video game! Fer shame. Some writers ... they just have to be related to their publisher!

Posted By: Magus Jan 31, 2005 - 06:40 pm

I even said to myself "I could write a better adaptation then this! Right now. Today."

So I guess, in a way, I owe Mr. Athens a thank you. If it wasn't for reading this horrendous interperetation of the game I never would have actually taken myself up on the offer of trying to write that better adaptation. And if I hadn't of started that I wouldn't have gotten serious about writing and I would have never come across this website.

Posted By: gnollslayer Feb 02, 2005 - 09:40 pm

I just got back from the second session of my workshop and it's way cooler than I thought it was going to be. There's another guy in there that likes to write sci-fi, so I don't feel so alone now. Also, from the exercises we did today in class, (character generation, scene setting, non-visual description), I think that I'm on the upper spectrum of writing skill in the class. Not the top, but somewhere above the lower half. Not that there's too broad of a gap. Everyone in the class has the talent to make it into publication, I'm just not sure everyone has the ambition it takes.

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 03, 2005 - 08:47 am

You ought to send him a nice letter telling him all about it when you do get published Magus!

Thats great gnollslayer, glad to hear you got talent... I have probably said this already, but do you have anything posted hear that we can read and (hopefully) enjoy?!

lol

Posted By: gnollslayer Feb 03, 2005 - 08:55 am

I have a few short stories posted on here, though they're all rough drafts except for "Warrior Borealis."

I really had fun writing "Sharks in the Wake," but my friends told me it didn't have enough fantasy element, and it wasn't as good as "Warrior Borealis."

I don't even know what the quality is like on "Karakrang's Toe," it's been too long since I wrote it. It's more closely connected with my novel than any of the other stories I mentioned, though my novel seems hopelessly muddled with bad prose right now. I'm not sure if the same holds true for "Karakrang's Toe," but I know it's at least gotta be better than Atlanta Nights.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy "Warrior Borealis," and maybe "Sharks in the Wake." I like them, though I may be a bit biased on the matter.

Posted By: Magus Feb 03, 2005 - 10:42 am

I had a conversation today with my Chemistry lab partner, who also likes to right, about some of the things we've written. She thinks I'm homicidal now because I tried to explain a few of my short stories. But she says that there's hardly a person at our school who isn't at least partly homicidal. So tomarrow I'm going to give her "Digger", "The Tommyknocker Man", "Rock and a Hard Place I: Clicker" and "The Last Mile" to show her what I write like. They'll at least prove that I'm less homicidal then this one mutual friend of ours, who right's some pretty disturbing stories.

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 03, 2005 - 05:24 pm

Yeah, thats write, I really like to right when it feels rite.

Write?

Posted By: Magus Feb 03, 2005 - 05:26 pm

Oh, LordyLordy, I can see Aldan having a field day with your last post BenJaru.

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 03, 2005 - 05:31 pm

LOl maybe it was not such a good thing!

Posted By: Magus Feb 03, 2005 - 05:46 pm

MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 03, 2005 - 06:14 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAMUH!!!!

Posted By: Magus Feb 03, 2005 - 06:24 pm

Stop laughing!!!!!

Well, the Topic is called LOL...

MUHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 03, 2005 - 07:04 pm

WUH!??!?!?!?!?!!

Not LOL!??!?!?!?

Posted By: Aldan Feb 03, 2005 - 07:44 pm

Liking to right is SO WRONG! I hope I haven't left anything out...

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 03, 2005 - 08:04 pm

Aaaaah, is that ALL??

Posted By: Aldan Feb 04, 2005 - 08:02 am

Hey, according to the US Constitution, I have the right to stop my write right there...

Posted By: Neurolanis Feb 04, 2005 - 08:23 am

lol.

You are a good writer, Gnollslayer. Every regular at this site is at least fair, I think. I guess that's due to dedication. We read about writing, read other books, talk here about writing and literacy. We got it in our brains.

Posted By: BenJaru Feb 04, 2005 - 09:32 am

Yup, yup. Im fair... Fairion

Posted By: gnollslayer Feb 04, 2005 - 09:48 am

Thanks for the compliment, Neurolanis. I've noticed also that the level of writing on this site is much higher than on other places. And it's definitely from the aforementioned dedication. If you aren't dedicated, you're never going to make it in the publishing industry. Even if you aren't writing for publication, it takes dedication to keep going and polish your stories to a degree that will satisfy yourself. Or at least it does for me. I have yet to produce a rough draft that I am actually satisfied with.

Posted By: Magus Feb 04, 2005 - 01:28 pm

Yeah, this site is great. I accidentally stumbled across a site yesterday and I was reading somebody's short story. It was porn. So I moved to somebody else's - porn. Everyone I read is the same, badly written and porn.

It takes me a while to realize that I've stumbled onto a porn writing site.

But yeah, most other sites have very low, very poor, levels of writing, even the literary ones!

There are notable exceptions, being this site and Mogget's site too. Other then that... really nothing.

Posted By: gnollslayer Feb 04, 2005 - 03:59 pm

I read the first packet from my creative writing class today and I really liked what I saw. I can't really say what he stories were about, because the authors don't want anybody posting their ideas elsewhere. But they were good, and I'm already feeling like it was a wise decision to join this workshop.

Posted By: Aldan Feb 04, 2005 - 06:58 pm

It can be. It works when you have a bunch of people who are dedicated to the same goal(s) that you are.

Posted By: Magus Feb 04, 2005 - 07:09 pm

What's the workshop called? I'd like to know if I ever get a chance to go... unlikely as that may be.

Posted By: gnollslayer Feb 04, 2005 - 07:46 pm

It's ENGL 471 at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

Posted By: Magus Feb 04, 2005 - 08:03 pm

Hmmmm... Alaska, eh? Maybe when I visit my one uncle...

Posted By: Neurolanis Feb 07, 2005 - 03:15 pm

I started a writing group here at SV actually. Some of the site's earlier members were involved. Writers reading each others' stories and so on. I forget who actually put the site together and who was included. I skipped out, u see. Now I'm curious but I can't remember ..!
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Probably on of my most loved topics that seemed to be swallowed by time,(leave it to me to dig up the past) it is a tpic left over from the other site and is worth readin over.

One of my favorite analogies.

Eleika Mar 24, 2004 - 08:15 pm

Yeah, Van Gogh was on absinthe when he cut off his ear. (That drink is now apparently legal in Canada, but I never intend on touching it.)

Good theory, there. We are the Ninja Turtles of the written word.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Magus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Hey, Neuro, mind fetching me some absinthe and sending it via snail-mail?

:wink:

Although... that might be considered drug-trafficing here in America.

:roll:

But you going to jail is just a sacrafice that I'm willing to make for my controlled substances.

:twisted:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:30 pm

Yeah. I wouldn't want to get meself in trouble. :lol:
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Who is going to tell.*looks and make sure DEA is on speed dial* Okay go ahead. :twisted:
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby SirJill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 am

I thought for a long time that I didn't have anything to say--or, rather, that stories didn't necessarily have to have a point. They could merely be entertaining. And yet, I hold in me a deep desire to have an impression, to leave a legacy behind hind--but most importantly, to have an effect on someone, somewhere. To make them think, make them happy, make them sad.

It's--at first glance it's like a power trip, but really, it's not. Just the desire to have an effect, to leave something behind. To achive a sort of immortality, I guess.

I think part of it comes from the Greek ideal I've read so much about. Achilles was told that he could stay at home and die a peaceful, but unknown death or, he could go to Troy and be famous throughout the ages.

We still talk of him, so he must have done something right.

I don't want to be--famous. I think there are plenty of authors out there who are amazing, their work is just good. It's literature. Then there are others who are famous, but their books don't have the quality, don't have the emotional effect that the truly awesome pieces of literature do.

I want to write that kind of literature. I want it so desperately.

My goals have changed, obviously. At first, when I began writing, all I wanted to do was to get published, to put my work and my characters whom I loved so dearly out for others to see. The truth is, I haven't looked at Duel, my novel, in ages. Sure, I've fiddled with editing chapters, but it just...I don't know. It makes me kind of sad, but I understand that I've moved on.

So, I suppose the question now is, why do we write? Popular reasons are probably that we can't find what we want to read. Or we didn't like the way something ended. As much as I hate to say it, I think Fanfic is a (sad) jumping off point for many authors, though a bad one. Then there's the idea. An idea which is just a driving force in one's life; it's THE idea.

Anyway, that's Jill's thoughts.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:14 pm

I agree Jill.

Anyone can have a idea but THE IDEAS are the ones that get published. i hope to reach that step one day but real life is putting my fictional one on hold.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby LightBrigade » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Talon Sinnah wrote:I agree Jill. Anyone can have a idea but THE IDEAS are the ones that get published. i hope to reach that step one day but real life is putting my fictional one on hold.

A good point, ideas are published.

So I ask myself, are you sure you discern what idea underlies this novel you're reading?

Every undeservedly suffering child has to prove supernaturally charismatic - escapism ; the irresponsible, the totally selfish and the mentally unbalanced have to prove admired (and subsequently loved) for the abominable absurdity they display when they ask their victim "bowels in or out?" - psychological crutches ; one "simple" man overthrows the rudiments of a whole 2,000 year civilisation to prove millions have been mislead like any idiot would have been, they the _smart_ ones begin to call out they have discovered a flaw and their novel seems to go so delicately astray in the matter to the very last page, so long as the target has been smeared, who cares for the flaw proof, the smearing will do its work - if that is not ... (oh, bar my mouth...)

Is what ideas the masses need that come into literature in a time when people read (and listen) all the less and speak all the more?

Is _that_ what the classics did (and became such)? *smile*
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby aldan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:46 am

Personally, I feel that it's much more than simply good ideas that make a novel from good into great. If the public's not ready for a particular idea, then no matter how important the idea, or how well-written the story, and no matter how strong the characters and their interactions, the novel will not make it to the level of a classic UNTIL the public's ready for the idea. An example of this is E.E. Poe's poetry... since the public wasn't ready for such a very disturbing sort of poetry, and since they'd been exposed to some fairly brainless stuff for quite a period before he began bringing his art forth, he was generally thought of as a writer that was not a worthwhile read by the public and by most of the critics of the time.

However, although he wasn't a very popular or well-read poet during his lifetime, look where he stands today among 'modern' poets....
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Next

Return to Suggestions and Ideas