Fireplace Writers Coffee Shop

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderator: Bmat

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Just out of curiosity, what books (or kinds of books) did you read? Are you planning on posting some poetry here for us to see?

I'm sorry for editing your post, but it's site policy not to disclose your age on the forums.

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

i believe that is the one thing I never got edited on. Usually i think it may be language but the site auto matically does that.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Starfire »

I have never been edited for age disclosure. Guess at my age you don't feel the need to advertise.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Well, I'm 1 1/2 years old. However, I'm not saying which star's and planet's years I'm referring to...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

:roll:

I may have to edit that one away, Aldan.

:wink:

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

I would. :twisted:
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Afterall, Aldan, I just did a quick search and now know your age.

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

Dude that is creepy. :shock:

-Walt Whitman-

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

:lol:

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

Magus wrote:Afterall, Aldan, I just did a quick search and now know your age.

If it's so easy, why restrict it being said directly? :roll: But I really don't care. Let people think I'm a teenager. :P

You asked about the books I read while convalescing. I didn't keep a list and I don't keep books long after reading them--only ones I think I'll read again. Otherwise, I figure get them out circulating again for others to find and enjoy. But I have come up with some of them from memory.

CJ Cherryh's Rusalka
McKillip's An Alphabet of Thorn
Vonda McIntyre's The Moon and the Sun (loved this one)
The Sword of Shannara
Anthology of Dragon Stories
Terry Goodkind's first book (don't recall the name)
Robin Hobb's Tawny Man series
George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones
Tamora Pierce's Wild Magic
Poalini's Eragon
One of Dave Duncan's books. Can't recall title but there was an armored fist grasping a hilt on the cover.
The Physiognomy (bizarre, dark, fascinating book)

Tremayne
New User
New User

Post by Tremayne »

Talon Sinnah wrote:Thank you.

I am pleased to hear you are doing better from your illness. As for not having the drive. LONG LIVE PROCRASTINATION!!!!

I can certainly see how it looks like procrastination, yet that was not the issue. It was more not knowing how to tackle such a big project--and not being familiar enough with my creative process. Some people can write into the dark, that is have no idea what's ahead of them. I would do that and just sort of peter out, would never build momentum, would run into snags and not be able to see past them. I thought writing a book meant going word by word until you came to the end. What has made a huge difference for me is looking at it more like architecture--and/or painting with layers of preparation and paint on the canvas. Boring though it sounds, I need to write an outline first, to know who will be where when and how long it will take them to get from x to y. A lot of background stuff, a map, you might say. Once that's done, I go merrily along.

--Until I get sick and it effects the way my brain functions. Even with so much written down about how the plot is supposed to develop, as one writes, one is essentially keeping all of the story that has gone before and all that will come in mind in creating the moment. I don't think I realized I was doing that until my mind wouldn't do it any more. The ability is coming back to me though. Being too tired and too preoccupied with practical matters of getting my life back on track is what will continue to delay the writing now. Again, go for it while you're young! :thumleft:

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Tremayne wrote:If it's so easy, why restrict it being said directly?

It's not easy for everyone. But the best answer to your question is that it is a legal matter.