speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Fireplace Writers Coffee Shop

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:17 pm

It got sticky a few months ago I believe.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby SirJill » Thu May 03, 2007 6:49 am

Jill crawls into the coffee shop, looking like a...wet dog, no, wet Jill. She flops down in front of the fireplace and twitches.

"Coffee..."
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Thu May 03, 2007 9:18 am

*aldan, sick as a, well, an aldan, coughs up a letter, then looks at it, shakes his head and tries again*
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby SirJill » Thu May 03, 2007 9:39 am

Ugh, Aldan, if that's how you make coffee, I don't think I want any.

This place hasn't been open in ages. Time for a caffine injection.

...this may be a stupid question, but, Aldan, do you write?
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Thu May 03, 2007 9:56 am

I sure try to...

No, but really, I do. I've been having to simply work on my poetry because my WIP (work in progress) novel is stuck in California on my computer there, while I'm stuck in Utah right now. The poetry, though, is something I'm readying to send in to some agents, so as to try to get an "in" to that side of things. Once I get an agent to accept my work, or at least respond to it, then that'll give me a better chance at getting some published. I want to have a full book of poetry published, if possible, so as to be able to get my name out there. If it doesn't work, then I can start sending in individual poems to various places, rather like RHFay does, to see if I can get any individual ones in print.

*aldan, who forgot to breathe while rambling on, passes out, striking his head on the table he's sitting at*
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby SirJill » Thu May 03, 2007 10:02 am

I did not know that.

It's interesting, because I've only just recently realized the importance of poetry in various types of writing. Especially in certain gothic pieces, and the like.

Then again, my English teacher this year is spectacular. I hope that everyone has a teacher like him at some point in their lives. At first, I thought he was creepy, but he really knows his stuff.

Have you posted anything in the poetry forum? I don't write it myself, so I don't make it my business to judge others' . Thusly, I'm never in there.

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Thu May 03, 2007 10:25 am

I have quite a bit there. There are several pages in the poetry forum there, and I've posted poems on each of the pages.

One thing that you could do is simply read the poems posted (mine and/or others') and if you feel the need to post about them, do so. I know that I, myself, like getting responses to my poetry, since it helps me to see things I might have missed, both on the positive side as well as on the negative. To me, it's not criticism so much as assistance. Give it a shot, and I think you'll find some things that may help you find what you didn't even know you sought.

Oh, and as for teachers/professors, my Short Story/Poetry writing class was what did it for me. I'd NEVER written a poem or a knowledgeable short story before taking that class a few years ago, and didn't have much of an opinion about poetry. However, he saw something in what I wrote that told him that I was worth working with, and he took the time to do so, which helped me to really see the worth of poetry, as well as the true craftsmanship that can be put into the creation thereof.
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby SirJill » Thu May 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Thusly, I went and read The Wall, which, by the way, I liked. I haven't posted comments yet, but I need to be in the right sort of mood, I think.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new age stuff...well, new...argh, getting mired in Latin here. Not the Novae Poetae.

Oddly enough, I've spent a hefty part of my life studying poetry (both Latin and English), but they're both so very different. It's interesting to see how these things happen.

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Now, I, myself, haven't done much in the way of the study of poems... but instead, I studied the creation of poetry. Also, I've not read much Latin poetry (actually, none that was actually IN Latin, since I've not learned to read that language), although I have read a lot of translated ancient Greek poetry....
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dark Knight » Thu May 03, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't like coffee.....can I have a juice?
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby SirJill » Fri May 04, 2007 7:10 am

I love coffee and translated works. I don't know which one to put first.

Latin Poetry in Latin is even more difficult to interpret. Most of the stuff isn't pretty like, say, French is, and the only thing you might notice is anaphora, or alliteration. Anaphora is a repitition of a word or phrase.

Sappho?

DK! NO! You must have coffee. But you can have juice flavored coffee....

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Dark Knight » Fri May 04, 2007 4:07 pm

Really I must have coffee, what if I bring my own Juice? or just your know make it appear.....? :wink:
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas