speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Fireplace Writers Coffee Shop

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Fireplace Writers Coffee Shop

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:51 pm

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 12, 2004 - 08:17 pm

Ok, so this is a virtual writers coffee shop called Fireplace. (How creative! )

It's located in a quiet street, the atmosphere around it artistic and multi-cultural. Inside, there are a few tables by a fireplace, which basically lights the room. It's warm, cozy, and offers free coffee! There is a creative air about it, and an aura about those insides. This is a place for creative minds to get together who want to change the world, figure out what we really are and really want as human beings--thus, what readers want, what our role as writers in society is, and what we should be doing as fictional writers.

------------------------------------

Let me start this conversation, friends and strangers. I have a few thoughts I wish to share. It seems to me that writing speaks to us in a field unattainable by voice. Somehow, the written word speaks to us on another level. It is a communication of imagination--thoughts, ideas, and beliefs. Why read MY thoughts, etc.? Thus, what is expected of me as a writer? I think that people expect truth, insight...to see a pealed back view on reality that can help them better understand it on some level.

Who the hell am I to do this, you may ask? Who the hell is anyone? I want stories to inspire me, to open my mind, to encourage, make me laugh and cry, and reveal to me just who and what I am and why that matters. I can't find stories like those, so I write them. And yes, they may apply to me, but do they apply to others? As writers we must thus search for universal truth, that which applies to every human being. But what does? We draw on our own experiences.

We must follow our own hearts, I think, to peal back what matters.

A man walks down the street. Look at him. Beard. Black overcoat. Head lowered, but not sad. What drives him? What is he looking for? Black suggests he wishes to hide, the fact he wanders about in public suggests otherwise. What is this wall between him and others, and how can it be torn down? A story lies untold about his movements, his clothes, his past. It applies to society, and affects us all, as his mood and actions effects the environment inside of him. If I were to tell his story where would I start? With his childhood? Yesterday? Or maybe right now, and leave enough blanks for the reader to fill in. A man seperated from the world around him.

Something lost that must be repaired or regained! See? A classic motif, typical of myth and legend going far back in history. A universal story that passes us by, while we sit, and try to think up something to wright.

[I sit back in my wooden chair, and take a puff from my black Cuban cigar.]

Posted By: Magus Sep 13, 2004 - 02:19 pm

One thing that I like about The Lord of the Rings is quite the opposite of that classic plot. Something, instead, must be destroyed; a great evil that NEVER should have been. Could we do that, destroy a thing that could grant us life and strength. But really, doesn't it grant only death? What if that evil was our writing? Would any of you be willing to sacrafice it forever in order to save the fate of all?

I don't know if I could. What about you?

Posted By: LightBrigade Sep 13, 2004 - 03:37 pm

*enters scanning the room through unflinching look, expressionless face turns to a corner table, steps over, sits down*
Back to wall. Old trait.

*wonders whether they boil fresh coffee here, slowly, on hot ash; Pure Brazilian beans freshly grounded. Sugar added just when the boiling ends with the froth swelling. Served after froth subsides.*
Thank you, that's perfect. Sherbet, loukoumi delight and a glass of cold water, please.

*He is lighting a cigarette, stretching the legs to the direction of the fireplace where the fire tongues are playing with one's imagination, radiating a mystic glow.*
"Ah, upon company rare has this explorer most fortunately been granted, I see! Bless you!"

-------------------------------
It is the marshalled writer, summoned by a sense of duty to the readership, as you put it, Neurolanis, who is focused on finding universal truths. I think an example would be those who write songs after a tune they are given.

There are writers who feel there is no duty in what creation they do. They write because this act has befallen them as a necessity. One of such strength and so imperative that perhaps the state of pregnancy could faintly allude to. Create because it is inside the author and it demands to come out, now, as it is, in a constantly swelling urge, compelling and overwhelming beyond will or ability to withstand, withhold, object to or refuse. It has to be realised inevitably as naturally as delivering a child can in fact be. The gestation has long been there, the writer being fully aware or not at all regardless.

That gestation is because a conception has taken place. In the not marshalled writer, in the writer who does not do it because it is his life purpose, like a prayer writer who intends to enrich the wealth of his religion and thus recruits himself to the holy task, the conception has to do with the universal truths you said.

Anything else is playing and gaming in authoring. Its value may be significant for it entertains.

The other kind, the one I spoke about, labours so that horizons are broadened. Then, consciousness expands. Thus, man evolves, and civilisation advances.

-------------------------------
*is now enjoying his smoking and the coffee, listening very carefully, though he had more to say on what Magus and Neurolanis had said themselves.*

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 15, 2004 - 04:45 pm

Interesting. Hmm... [Puff. Sigh. Staring out window.] Yes, sacrifice is required of us all, and our inner "demons" may be our reward, as a shaman once said, "Be careful that in tossing away your demon that you do not toss away the most beautiful part of you." Writing could hardly be seen as evil, but if it were and had to give it up I would, as I could still speak to the world through my art, which seems like a very similar expression to me.

Yes, perhaps we are in fact the writers who would like to give something to the world, other than just trying to get rich and arrogant. Our writing is something that speaks to us, and so we have the burning desire to influence the world, to try to make some change in the way the world sees things. Again, who are we to do this? Who is anyone? Well, if we want to and can we will, and hopefully will inspire others the way others have inspired us.

What is evil? Is there personal destiny? What is the value of individualism in society, and how should it be maintained. [Puff.] Yes, yes, I find myself forever drawn to my own life, my own experiences, and creative influences. Me may find, not the answers but insight of the higher path, within ourselves and/or our influences--authors, poets, etc. But how then do we express them? Obviously, the creative process is strange and mystical, yet one must think about putting wisdom (or insight) into terms which are a. appealing, and b. translatable. If either one of these are not met, our attempt fails.

Also, through our writing we wish to inspire ourselves, no? It is a very personal path, and I think must be to achieve and honest and therefore true artistic achievement. So, creative writing meant to influence the culture is also the most personal, it would seem. How ironic. Yet, the personal cannot interfere with capturing a sense of unmistakable realism in the writing. It must be written for the writer, and at the same time for the public. Kind of like a photography, using his unique vision to take pictures at the world around him, perhaps capturing a glimpse on reality not seen before. It inspires, moves, and keeps the artistic juices of the culture reeling. It all seems to come down to heart and instinct, and the guts to show what you’ve found without washing it down or glamming it up.

We live in a time of duper glam, even in writing. If you want to be inspired, you find yourself turning to the old mythologies, legends, and classic novels like the LOTR. Or or/and also, you set out to do it yourself.

Posted By: thegreentick Sep 15, 2004 - 06:00 pm

I write so that I can share my universe with others. The people and worlds that have sprung into being inside my mind deserve to be recognized by others and to have their stories known.

What makes a good story? Well, in my case, I start by making a world. I make it different enough from our world to be exotic but similar enough for people to learn to love it. Then, I take an event that shaped the world and tell the story of the people behind that event. It is those world changing events that give birth to the greatest of stories.

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 06:34 pm

The setting is a very important part of the book. Without the proper setting and proper mood being set, the rest of the story, regaurdless of its own quality, can crumble like so much dust in the wind.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 16, 2004 - 05:15 am

Indeed, we all come from settings and backgrounds. Our personalities are shaped from birth by our own stories, and how we deal with the bad stuff in it. The old stories always dealt with exactly that: how one deals, or many deal, with all the problems of the world, give their background, personalities, and story. Come to think of it, those old stories were all about how one deals with evil without becoming corrupted or defeated by it, and then how to become successful in life, and how to battle the evils that come with success. Whereas today, the "hero" is just that because he is the central character, and that's it.

Stories used to have a point -- a driving purpose, I should say. This is how THIS character plays the game DECENTLY. How YOU (the reader) are going to do this, well, this adventure might inspire you to find that path. The old stories were about keeping hope, self-confidence, being willing to stand right back up each time life kicks you down without despair, standing for truth and honour, and facing evil, no matter what the consequences. Big stuff. Old testament stuff. George Lucas stuff. The stuff that makes you think, and feel alive. Am I wrong?

Honour was very important, and it is missing from the new tales. As the times change, so too does our definition of honour. What is honour, do you think, and not so much what WAS it but what does it matter to us today, how should it matter? [Sits back in chair, smoking cigar while eyes fall dark with a contemplative, eager look for deliberation.]

Posted By: Gnollslayer Sep 16, 2004 - 09:14 pm

If you want a definition of what dishonor is, read By the Lake of Sleeping Children by Luis Urrea, it will make you feel so guilty. We're reading it in our English class and it's about life on the Mexican border. It talks about all the hardships the people there endure, and they are only a few miles away from the Land of the Free.

B.T.W. I posted a story in the non-SF/F showcase that I wrote for English. It's called "Window on the Water". In a way, it also deals with honor, but it deals with my own personal honor and the inability to act upon it. Read it if you want.

Posted By: Magus Sep 17, 2004 - 03:43 am

I'll take a look at it. But it'll have to be later today, when I'm home for school. Sounds interesting.

Posted By: Esioul Sep 17, 2004 - 11:18 am

What makes a good story?

Hmmmmm.

Often I feel that the language and the way it is used is vital- books that are simply well written tend to interest me even if the plot of characters aren't particularly fascinating. Although of course it's good to have a combination of all of these things being good (am I making any sense?)

I think it's also connected to realism. If when one reads, one can say, 'that is so true', or 'people are really like that' or something, that makes the story seem to make more sense. Even in genres like fantasy and sci fi, this kind of realism is possible, I think.

Posted By: Magus Sep 17, 2004 - 12:31 pm

I agree.

Even in the most fantastical of tales set in the most surreal or futuristic setting there is some kin of realism, some kind of cohesion. Without this, no matter how well written or plotted it fails my interest. There are some truths that just can't be tapped without a certain price being paid.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 17, 2004 - 02:33 pm

Language, a sense of history in the world that you're writing about that adds up... Yes, that gives it a strong backbone. Language is from the past, it tells of the cultural evolution and so on. The slang deals more with the present, I think. Somewhat. Where things are going, perhaps. There are so many factors to consider when creating a society: its slang, central colors, clothing and house designs, jobs, weapons, superstitions, ideals and principals, hair cuts -- there's a factor we rarely consider in fantasy writing.

I guess you need a realistic sense of a realistic world as a writer before you can begin with the myth telling (the adventure). To effect today, you'd have to deal with beliefs and outlooks that apply to our own world or society. You can take big, complicated issues like political corruption, intellectualism (losing one's humanity to it), the dangers of technology and science, or the losing of one's own sense of identity, and dress it down into a simpler form to better get across your points. That's the importance of fantasy, I think. (Besides the imagination!)

What then are we trying to get across? What really matters? What does it all really boil down to? I say it's about facing and dealing with the evils and materialism of the world, without giving one's self over to it. The hero would be he or she who resists. The story would be about these evils and illusions, the threats they impose, and how they are defeated.

Thoughts?

Posted By: Magus Sep 17, 2004 - 02:44 pm

"...evils and illusions..."

Sounds like Sabal-Gah.

Evil, I belive, IS an illusion. Certainly every culture has their perception of evil. Human sacrifices were commonly practiced among the Aztecs. Slavery in practically ll of the world. Segregation, descrimination, inequality, persecution... all of these were practiced the world over. We view Nazi's as evil. They viewed any non white non catholic non german person as evil. Many third world countris and muslim societies view america as evil.

Evil is in the eyes of the beholder. Evil is the view of the society in which it appears. It's merely a different view that opposes what we think.

Does this meen I condone racists? Nazis?

No. I merely stand to say that evil is how one percieves it.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 17, 2004 - 07:09 pm

Very interesting, Magus! You could say then that both materialism and evil are forms of illusion. So the underlined struggle could be between truth and illusion. I that case, the hero would be the one who "sees", or tries to see. The villain would be the Master of Illusions, so to speak.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 17, 2004 - 07:12 pm

The mentor would be the one who knows his way around the illusions, and tries to teach the hero. Wow. Can you see a story brewing there?

Posted By: Magus Sep 18, 2004 - 04:08 am

I certainly can.

Posted By: Aldan Sep 19, 2004 - 12:52 am

I tend to disagree with using the term "illusion" with the word "evil" in that manner. "Eye of the beholder" is a good term, but I believe that evil is a mirror, rather than an illusion. We tend to believe that we are not evil ourselves, and we see that others who tend to do the opposite of what we do as being "evil". Does this mean that they are? Well, no. It simply means that we see them, using our own ideas of ourselves, our own perception of them is distorted due to seeing them as a mirror of our "goodness".
Hitler thought he was doing things that were for the good of his people. However, he looked at "his" people as being "aryans", rejecting the fact that he was part jewish. He hated his mother and it was from her side the jewish blood came, so chicken or egg? It seems to us that he was insane, and perhaps he was. However, there's no real way to really determine it from our side, since we don't know what a psychologist who would see him would think. Even if he did see one, and I'm not sure that he did, legally, the psych would be required to keep his findings to himself, or if the courts demand the info, it'd only be released in a closed session. At least, that is how the law here in the US is supposed to work.
Anyway, enough blabbering about Adolf.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 19, 2004 - 06:38 pm

Interesting. Not an illusion, but a mirror effect. So, instead of living naturually, one may lose himself in a mirror effect and be ... corrupted by it? That would suggest that every child born to this world comes with darkness. I'm not sure that I can believe that.

Posted By: manji Sep 21, 2004 - 01:21 am

Personally, i believe there is no such thing as evil men but evil deeds that we are all capable of. It is restraint that keeps these deeds in check.

Posted By: manji Sep 21, 2004 - 01:24 am

Bmat, my profile still says that my Email is my old adress and not my new adress, Hunter4ever113@aol.com. I'm just going to leave it alone but if you need to contact me in the future that is the adress.

Posted By: Bmat Sep 21, 2004 - 04:40 am

I'll change it. I don't know why it didn't change. If I need to contact you that's the address that I use. You can make it so that it isn't displayed if you want to.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 21, 2004 - 06:07 am

I feel that evil is very much more than actions alone, but a powerful force that threatens one's very soul. "The dark side of the force", is a good way to put it. I believe that you can get swept up in it. You must follow your higher instincts to avoid it. If you are fairly healthy and well-ballanced you may see evil that way, but if ever you have spotted it within your own soul, either through depression or rage lets say, you would understand that it is supernaturual in its roots, and is a very real threat.

Posted By: Spiderkeg Sep 21, 2004 - 08:05 am

I recall hearing that in an interview with Tolkien that the "ring" in his books represented the modern age and modern industry. I think deep down Tolkien afraid of all this change going on (at the time).

Posted By: Gnollslayer Sep 21, 2004 - 11:47 am

Yeah, Tolkien disliked industrialization. You can see that in the orcs and the character of Saruman. Notice how the trees cleanse Isengard of all its "industrialized" filth.

Posted By: Magus Sep 21, 2004 - 03:38 pm

The beauty of "The One Ring" is that it is a timeless syb=mbol for what is wrong with our world. It can be interpereted as the greatest fear of any age; the evil that never should have been. You can interperet however you want; child labor, terrorists, atomic weapons, etc... But also a ring is eternal, it never ends; being a continuous loop. This only sets to reafirm our fears that the evil cannot end, only sleep for a time until it is, once again, awakened more terrable then ever before.

Posted By: manji Sep 22, 2004 - 09:12 pm

Thank you Bmat!!!!

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 23, 2004 - 05:32 am

Yes, it is a profound symbol. Hm...

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 01:24 pm

To quote Gringoleader: "Ultimate evil is only an excuse for a badly written antagonist." However, it goes somewhat deeper. After all, we're not talking about the technicalities of writing here, we are talking about what we find in our writing, correct?

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 03:01 pm

I would have to disagree, to an extent anyway. It's true that it is almost always a sign of poor writing, a lazy author who can't think of ways to properly flesh out their villain.

But with The Lord of the Rings it is different. There's a history in which it is all explained. If you read The Silmarillian you'll know what I mean. There it is all explained.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 25, 2004 - 06:14 pm

I'm reading the Silmarillian. It's great, but the title is horrible! (Hard to pronounce and remember!)

Anyway, yeah I belive in "Ultimate evil" myself. I believe that it is a real force, and that you can •••• your soul. I think it's important thus how you live your life, and treat others. Being true, and all that. Otherwise, why have morals and principals? I believe that most great stories do confront this "ultimate evil" in a big way. That's what I enjoy writing.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 06:17 pm

Hmm, I have a different philosophy. I'm reading "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" which everyone should read and it's really changing my perception.

I think that no one is completely evil or completely good and than transfers into my writing. Someone can do something that looks evil but really isn't. Perhaps they have a really good reason for doing said thing. I believe that nothing that is deemed 'bad' or 'evil' happens with out a good, justifiable reason. You just have to ask the right people.

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 07:43 pm

The only problem I had with The Silmarillian, other than trying to remember how to spell the title, was that it was dry. But that's to be expected when you publish a man's notes for a story he couldn't have completed even if he had lived to work on it 200 more years. It would have been awsome if it was finished, though.

Have you gotten to the chapter "Of Beren and Luthien" yet? That was my favorite part of that whole book. I don't exactly know why, but it is.

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 07:45 pm

I also agree with you, SirJill. Everybody has a reason, nobody is really pure evil.

Even Sabal-Gah has a reason, or an excuse, rather, depending on how you look at it. How can somebody be anything other than pure evil when they have no soul, no emotions, no concious to keep their actions in check?

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 26, 2004 - 07:00 pm

No I agree with that comment also! No one is purely evil, of course not. But I do believe in pure evil. Know what I mean? It exists, infects people, but never completely. To be completely taken by it could only happen in death. What I believe the Bible symbolizes in heaven and hell. Not that all souls either go "up" or "down" in death, but I believe they can. Does that make sense? (It does to me but I'm not sure if I'm communicating it right.)

I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, Magus.

Yes, I think you're both right in that every "evil" person feels self-justified in their corruption. Everyone sees themselves as the good-guys. Even real-life villains do. Only in the movies do they realize that they're in the wrong. We've all done something wrong. I think that those of us who are decent don't excuse our bad so easily. The more often or easily one can, I suppose the more evil that that person is capable of performing. From that logic, you might say that evil may come from a lack of moral conscience alone? Hmm ...

Posted By: Magus Sep 26, 2004 - 07:03 pm

I undertsand what you meen Neurolanis. And I agree with the comments on pure evil. It's very profound, like something Yoda would say (Yes, I just finished Return of the Jedi).

I also agree with the latter half of your post. It's very true.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 26, 2004 - 07:43 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I've been inspired by Yoda's speech in "The Empire Strikes Back". Might sound corny, but I love those films. Some people can't get by the Buck Rogers/big FX side of it, but I look at that as just the icing. The cake? Mmmm ... tastes a lot better to me! lol.

I think that there are certain universual truths that cannot be debated, just understood on some level, or not. I mean everybody dies. The sky is (or at leasts looks) blue. There is good and evil. How these things affect us, or what they mean to us, can be another story.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 29, 2004 - 06:43 pm

The old myths and legends really grab me though. I want to read up on more of them, but they can be hard to find (which ones you'd really enjoy reading.) I guess I want to write myths and legends for today's world. So far I'm doing this with fantasy, but I'm considering doing a fururistic space opera/mythology that applies to the here and now, and where we are going. The trouble is, DARTH VADER is the villain of now and beyond: the one who has gone over to the intellectual side, who has lost his humanity to the uniform, who serves evil as a cruel fuctionary of the system. Every time I try writing my space opera/mythology, the villain always turns out to be Vader incarnate. Grr! That really fries my onions!

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Oct 01, 2004 - 07:00 am

In a book I read a boys grandfather was explaining evil to him. He said the man you are fighting is evil because we perceive him as evil. But to him he is doing right you are the one who is evil for trying to stop him. Even though he is killing people he still sees himself as good.

The conversation went on with a small arguement and then the man said. Take the trees for example. are the oaks evil for keeping the sunlight from the littlier trees and ultimatly killing them. The smaller trees think so but the oaks are doning what they see is right.

I paraphrased a bit but that is the jest of it. Evil is perception just like being normal is. To a crazy person like myself I am normal but to others I am ... well crazy.

Info from: The Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind (I highly recommend this book)

Posted By: Magus Oct 01, 2004 - 12:00 pm

I love greek mythology. I've also studied Norse mythology, my ancestors being Norse, but still find myself preferring Greek by far. It was an obsession on mine a few years ago and, while no longer a major focal point of my life, I still draw from it every now and then.

Posted By: Neurolanis Oct 01, 2004 - 12:54 pm

People think I'm crazy too. I'm a dreamer, "silly heart", idealist, and eccentric artist. I just say, "Well, beats normal!" lol.

Yeah, thanks for that, Talon! It's true, from its perspective at least. Every time I go for a walk in the woods I trample plants under my feet. To them, it may be evil!

I wish I knew more about Greek mythology, Magus! We could have a descussion on it. Are there any stories or characters in it that you find most interesting?
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:52 pm

Posted By: Magus Oct 01, 2004 - 01:08 pm

I remember especially liking the one on how they God's chose they kingdoms. I don't remember what the name of it was, but it was good. Also try for the ones about Hurcules *spelling?*. Those were my favorites.

Posted By: Neurolanis Oct 01, 2004 - 01:15 pm

Hercules. You know the story and I know the spelling!

Yeah. I plan on seriously, and I mean seriously, researching Mythology in the near future. I have been reading about it for five years or so now, and I am finding it more and more to be my favorite subject.

Posted By: Rogue Oct 01, 2004 - 07:13 pm

Neurolanis,

If you're interested in mythology, I would recommend buying Bulfinch's Mythology. It's great for cross-referencing and covers Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and a slew of others. Also, as a fantasy writer, St. Peter won't let you in the Pearly Gates without having read, "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. It's fantastic! He explores the many archetypes utilized in mythology and explains how they correlate to modern story-telling. You won't be sorry that you read it and you'll be surprised at how many ideas it will spark for any stories that you are currently working on.

Posted By: Magus Oct 01, 2004 - 07:58 pm

Norse Mytholgy is O.K. I only really cared for the creation stories. But Greek is the best way to go.

Posted By: Neurolanis Oct 04, 2004 - 07:18 pm

I have that book! I love Campbell!! I'll surely give it a read! Bulfinch's Mythology, huh? That's new to me. I'll have to look that one up.

Greek is highly political, but that doesn't necessarily mean better. I wonder what Norse is like. It has Thor and Odin. That's all I know.

Posted By: Magus Oct 05, 2004 - 11:53 am

It's interesting and quite fun to read. But I prefer the complexity of Greek Mythology. I also think that they have better myths.

Posted By: Magus Oct 05, 2004 - 11:54 am

The again, I was reading a children's version of Greek Myths way back when and adult versions of Greek Myths. Maybe I should look again at Norse mythology, this time from a more adult version of it.

Posted By: Neurolanis Oct 06, 2004 - 05:47 am

Most myths seem to be about one, several, or all of the following:

-Gifts and/or curses you are born with (genetics)
-Growing up true
-Becoming an adult
-Being true in love
-Friendship
-Importance of hard work
-Importance of being open-minded and sharp
-Dealing with evil
-Breaking away from evil (if corrupted)
-Growing old
-Death
-After death

Subjects I'd love to find in Mythology would include:
-Wisdom
-One's higher powers
-How to stay true in adulthood
-How to deal with pain and agony
-Finding your inner, hidden abilities
-How to be all that you can be (And no, I do not mean how to join the army!)

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Oct 20, 2004 - 07:09 am

Who else loves the anticipation of knowing within a matter of weeks you will be finishing a story you have been writing on for a very long time. I know I do I am as high as if I drunk ten cups of coffee. Sorry if I seem overly hyped.

Posted By: Magus Oct 20, 2004 - 02:59 pm

What's your story about? Is it a novel? Novella? Short Story? Will you post some of it in the showcase?

Posted By: Gnollslayer Oct 20, 2004 - 06:06 pm

Once I got past 75,000 words on my novel, I started to fly. I churned out 5,000 words a day for 5 days after that. I can't believe my fingers didn't fall off.

Posted By: Magus Oct 20, 2004 - 06:28 pm

Today I had to take my Quarter Exam in English, an entire week ahead of every other class I have. We had to write a single paragraph essay on the tone Nathaniel Hawthorne uses in an exceprt from the second chapter in The Scarlet Letter. I swear that by the time the test was over with I had lost all fine motor skills in my hands. I then went to my Chemistry class and took another test, not the Quarter Exam, thank God we only have semester Exams in there. Oh, and I also had a swimming exam the period before English, passed everything except the Breast Stroke. Very few people actually passed that one.

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Oct 29, 2004 - 06:51 am

It is about Talon and I probably will post it on here whenever I begin typing it. The one i got posted on here already is of his father and his battles but later will be about Talon's life and how he made it to the beginning of this one (Psychic Fire). I am in the home stretch right now and can see the end in sight. Now if only my teachers would stop giving me so much homework. I would say another 50 to 100 pages and I will be done and ready to type it.

And as for a novel I plan to turn it into one.

Posted By: Magus Oct 29, 2004 - 02:40 pm

Sounds cool to me.

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Dec 08, 2004 - 05:53 am

Well an update is in order. I finished writing the story about... oh say two days ago and after a short break and finals I will start typing it soon. I may post some parts on it to receive advice on how to make it better. I have not quite worked that out yet.

The thing about finishing up the story though is you do not know whether to jump for joy ir cry because you finally finished it. I personally sit back and breathed a sigh of relief and stretched my cramped fingers. Typing wil commence soon.

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 08, 2004 - 06:21 am

Yeah. Typing for my story will begin soon also. Sigh... (and I can't sigh loudly enough.) It's going to be really, really hard, as it's an epic novel, and I lack both discipline and patience, but I'll have to stick to it.

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 08, 2004 - 06:26 am

Another point, you know I've been dead sure about this novel being 'the one' all this while, but the longer the period stretches between rough draft completion and typing, the more I find myself doubtful and unsure about it. I have to stick by it. Its themes may be ordinary, but it has many interesting characters, and good moments. I have to believe in it. I spent many months writing the rough draft!

Posted By: Magus Dec 08, 2004 - 12:48 pm

Just stick with it, Neurolanis! I'm sure you'll do better then fine, something to be truly proud of. Good luck with it!

And, think of it this way. Stephen King actually threw out Carrie, his first novel. His wife literally dug through the trash, took it out and told him to finish it. And now look where he is today.

I just finished the rough draft of a short story of mine today. I decided I could use all of those precious minutes of down time everyday productively. And so, BOOOM!!!, two days later here comes a new story that's fairly decent and might be pretty good after I revise it.

Posted By: Queen Ehlana Dec 09, 2004 - 09:15 am

That's awesome, Talon. If you were like me, you wouldn't have to suddenly type it... because I do all of my writing on the computer. My hand doesn't move very fast, but my fingers can hit a bunch of keys easily. I'd have given up on writing ages ago if I didn't have a computer.

I don't know if I can finish my novel in the time I had planned. But I think that once I have 100 pages, that will be enough relief... Finally, I won't have to say anything like: "I'm still on chapter one... I've got more pages of outline than of the actual novel!" At this point, the end isn't even in sight for me.

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 09, 2004 - 11:35 am

Thanks, Magus!

Well, good luck Queen Ehlana!

Posted By: Magus Dec 09, 2004 - 06:22 pm

I just remembered something. I have a friend, who's registered to this site but has yet to post here, who is a writer. She actually finished her first novel, I believe she did, anyway, in a big furry book which I love to pet. She's writing her second, again, if I remember correctly, and it sounds pretty interesting, but she hasn't let me read it yet. Hopefully she'll begin posting soon. And hopefully she'll let me read it soon. She says the first one's pretty short but the second should be pretty long.

GOOD JOB!!!!! **If you're reading this.**

Posted By: Talon Sinnah Dec 13, 2004 - 08:14 pm

Killer I hope they post to.

Anywho... thanks for the congrats. And queen if I knew it was going to take me nearly two years I would have started to type it. But me and computers do not really get along.

Posted By: Magus Dec 14, 2004 - 02:46 pm

Sorry to hear about that.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:11 pm

Update: She did. She's Princess of Fire, but has yet to post here on the brand spankin' new site.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:28 am

Yeah, ah-hum. Tt-tt-tt-tt-tt. I just don't know, Magus. At least we're here, eh? 8)
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:44 pm

Oh, she'll be here. She better...

:twisted:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:14 pm

lol. I'm glad Mir and Raye are back. I'd like to see Sir Jill also ...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu May 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Sir Jill is running around here somewhere I am sure.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Magus » Thu May 12, 2005 3:17 pm

WHERE IS KRISTINER!!!!

I'm inclined to call her up and drag her over to a computer... or something!
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Sun May 15, 2005 11:41 am

Kristiner? Doesn't ring a bell ...
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sun May 15, 2005 7:47 pm

Kristiner... known around here as Princess of Fire. I'll have to give her a talking to to return to the site. She doesn't seem to ever be online and she's at the other campus at my school. So it looks like sooner or later I'll have to resort to calling her up to get her online. Maybe she'll be on more over the summer. I think I'll give her until that long, as she'll likely be preoccupied with finals ere long, just as I will be eventually.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Sun May 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Magus: ... I'll have to resort to calling her up to get her online.

:P Sorry, that line is just so funny.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Mon May 16, 2005 5:52 am

Yeah, it kind of is. But it's true.

8)
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Suggestions and Ideas