speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Fireplace Writers Coffee Shop

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Llew » Fri May 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Here DK, have some Earl Gray tea. 8)
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Dark Knight » Fri May 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Some tea?, no don't like tea, I'll have a coffee if I must....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Grand Evander » Fri May 04, 2007 11:23 pm

I prefer Thai Iced Tea, DK, though will settle for Vietnamese coffee. I'm somewhat of a connoisseur of coffee, one could say. I've flown down to Florida to buy a blend made in Germany and sold in only a handful of venues in the United States. I currently brew Kona from Hawaii in the evenings. My order at restaurants and coffee shops is always the same: coffee, skim milk, no sugar. I always let the beverage speak for itself.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat May 05, 2007 7:46 pm

Oh I loove coffee black. Very rarely do I get t with anything in it. Green tea is about the only tea I drink.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Grand Evander » Sun May 06, 2007 12:49 am

That's interesting. I'm more of a white tea person when it comes to tea without additives (hence Thai Iced Tea excluded). I really like to eat food that is spicy, especially Thai food, so I acquired my taste for Thai Iced Tea through frequenting such restaurants (since milk helps to quench the spice).

Since I usually take my coffee with only skim milk, I really consider it to be coffee with calcium enriched water. When I was younger, I used to take my coffee with whole milk and two sugars. After having a few health conscious significant others, I switched to 2% and then skim milk with no sugar. Me and my uncle are polar opposites on this subject. Before he developed type II diabetes, he used to have his coffee with whole milk and 8 sugars... literally, he'd take the sugar canister and pour his coffee into it. He also will only drink iced coffee, something else I never do.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby SirJill » Mon May 07, 2007 6:58 am

Noooooooo! Iced coffee from Starbucks is Jill's fav'rite!!!!

So...I work at a Starbucks and I am so addicted to their iced coffee--The Terraza blend is just so smooth! And pretty! And the balance is just perfect!

*Jill calms down a bit* Sorry...I'm working on getting down to one iced coffee a day, but it's hard when one gets free drinks. Stupid, stupid partner beverages! Well, not really.

Thai Iced coffee is...a little sweet for me, actually. I mean, it's pretty (If you haven't seen it; basically they put about an inch of heavy cream on top and sweetening in the bottom. The cream sort of separates through the ice) but at the same time, I'd rather taste the coffee than the cream.

What was the other thing I've had? It was...hmm, maybe it was just Thai coffee; I know that it was hot and had spices in it, including mocha/cocoa which was quite excellent.

Grand Evander, you live right. Kona is good stuff.

Hmm, White tea? I don't believe I've ever had it, but I know I brewed it once for a customer, and it smelled wonderful.

I will tell you drive through stories about people who put too much stuff in their coffee.

Oh, and:

Thai Iced Coffee
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson
SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Grand Evander » Mon May 07, 2007 7:43 am

Thai Iced coffee is a bit sweet, Jill, that is very true. There's a place back home (for me, since I'm actually from the suburbs of NY), that has amazing Thai food that goes really well with Thai coffee.

I live in New York City, so there's a lot of pan-Asian culture around me and, yes, a Starbucks every four blocks. I used to drink a lot more Starbucks than I do now, mostly light caramel fraps and veinte mochas. In the city, though, it's very expensive to nurse a Starbucks addiction ($4.66 for a veinte specialty drink and $5.36 for a veinte frap), so I started brewing my own coffee. It's $12/lb of coffee (again Kona) and $1.06 for a pint of milk. That lasts me two weeks and is a lot cheaper than $30+ per week on Starbucks (not to slight Starbucks at all). I used to frequent there so much that, not only did they invite me to the Christmas party, but some barristas would give me free drinks at night.

White tea is really soothing and has a very distinct taste from the darker oolong and green teas. It has the least caffeine, I should warn, but it's not as bitter and contains more antioxidants. Unfortunately, tea companies such as Liptons and Snapple have begun brewing white tea, and have turned the beverage into an aspartame cocktail.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Dark Knight » Mon May 07, 2007 3:45 pm

DK drinks his iced coffee..... as he looks over his current story
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby SirJill » Tue May 08, 2007 10:47 am

We've got our own place, called Monsoon. It's not local, but it's close enough for a stop on the way back home from the book fair. Firecrackers, if you've ever had them, are wonderful--they're like really long egg rolls, but better.

I agree; Starbucks is expensive, and I tend to cycle from 'lots of Starbucks' to 'No Starbucks'. Right now I'm in the 'lots of' stage, and will probably stay that way for a while. Again, free drinks. No complaints.

I'm not surprised that you were given free drinks or that you were invited to the Christmas party, that's definitely a Starbucks thing. I heart SBUX.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Grand Evander » Tue May 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Whenever I go to Thai restaurants, I usually end up angering the owner by saying the food isn't spicy enough. I usually order dishes that have disclaimers that say "For masochists or Thai nationalists only," to give you an idea.

I guess it is a sort of Starbucks thing, Jill. I remember reading about some of Starbucks' business strategy in The Economist a few months ago. The idea is is to have a large chain where each coffee shop gives the impression of being very personal and quaint. The CEO said that he wants each Starbucks to be like a local coffee shop without any corporate feel to it. He even said that there was a debate about adding ice dispensers to increase productivity by a few seconds for each cold drink, but this idea was rejected because they felt it took away from this local coffee shop image. Also interesting is that all Starbucks stores are corporate, which ensures quality... no franchising. The only instance where Starbucks shares ownership is if the potential partner can give Starbucks access to a location they couldn't acquire on their own. This is true, for instance, in museums and malls, like the Palisades mall in West Nyack I visit so often. Good coffee and a good business... a combination that can't be beat.

My pattern with Starbucks is pretty simple. If I have exams, consumption goes up, not very cyclical unless my exam schedule is rather cyclical. I spent all of last summer up in Albany, which is dominated by Dunkin Donuts. I had to walk almost 2 miles whenever I wanted to get a decent coffee. What a horrible living experience! There was no air conditioning and the water pipes were often shut off during the week. Things also slow down a lot more when you're that far upstate, and it's very hard to find someone with similar creative interests.
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby SirJill » Wed May 09, 2007 9:51 am

Starbucks does do some franchising, and the franchising, I feel, is a very, very bad idea. Having worked in both a franchise (Starbucks in a Kroger) and now at a corporate store, I have the say that the franchises often don't get it at all.

The beverage quality at the franchise was terrible, as well as the service, which, I would say was even worse. Kroger was not discriminating in who they hired, and one of my co workers...well, to put it politely, she did too many drugs in highschool and had the attention span of a goldfish. I know, I know, everyone has terrible coworkers, but this woman should not have been working in a Starbucks. She's been working there for a few months now and must be prompted how to make every single drink.

The people at the Corporate store are, at the very least, ept and can figure out some semblance of customer service.

I think Starbucks is a really interesting company, if only because they strive to create that image, but at the same time, there is also a great importance of making every beverage exactly the same.

I guess one of the reasons I like Starbucks so much, though, is the CSR, or Corporate Social responsibility. I feel like there are not enough companies who put stress on contributing to the community and giving back. I mean, yeah, supermarkets contribute to food banks, and the like, but Starbucks doesn't just give back, it makes an effort to change the standards of the communities of coffee growers it buys from (CAFE practices). I mean, Starbucks is the reason fair trade exists, pretty much.

Yeah...Jill likes Starbucks.

Oh, and, 'You might as well lick the sun' hot? Do you as for Thai hot, insted of regular hot?

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Grand Evander » Wed May 09, 2007 3:54 pm

I sometimes chew on dried red peppers, if that gives you an idea of the kind of spice I'm used to. I've never had a job that involves customer interaction in all honesty. Though somebody I once spoke to said if you ever plan to work for a company, you should spend at least one summer as a salesman. You have to know what your customers like if you want to try and sell anything. Most of my work experience is with lawyers, brokers, and labs... though I'm not as old as those occupations may imply.

It's interesting when it comes to produce products like coffee because you run into the Implied Volatility Smile when it comes to capital markets... but I digress. Coffee as a traded commodity a few years back wasn't even in the top 5. Now it's around 2 or 3 depending on your macroeconomic sources. I'm pretty sure we have Starbucks to thank in part for that. And now Starbucks is spreading into the entertainment industry... diversify, diversify.

I tried an iced mocha today for the first time courtesy of an incorrectly placed order (people will be people and make mistakes from time to time). I don't find cold beverages so conducive to writing... something about drinking from a straw really ruins the moment. Have any drink of preference when it comes to writing?
Grand Evander
True Visionary
True Visionary

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas