speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Origin of the Mythical Creatures

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Origin of the Mythical Creatures

Postby Floridian Dream » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 am

I'm working on a story inspired by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, only that it might have a less childish theme and is less dominated by equines and more so by other varieties of mythological creatures. Real creatures exist in the world I've made for the story, but those of the mythical kind play a more primary role; there are mythical creatures such as hippocampi, ahuizotl, quetzalcoatl, hydras, cockatrices, basilisks, and griffins, to name just a few, but the most primary out of these mythological creatures are equines (including unicorns, pegasi, hippocampi, etc.), dragons, winged lions, mythical birds, and possibly humanoid beings (such as elves, dwarves, orcs, and possibly actual humans).

What I've been trying to figure out is how animals that look like a combination of multiple kinds came into beings amongst the more regular-looking animals. Are the mythical breeds descended from the gods (it might explain why in my story they are naturally equipped with magical properties)? Are they gods themselves (I might scrap that, because I've gained a concept that mythical creatures who have gained a certain enlightenment might acquire a godlike status)? Were they spawned from magic when the other animals learned how to use it?

Any suggestions would be welcomed, and if any more details might be required, all you need is ask.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Re: Origin of the Mythical Creatures

Postby Bmat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:01 am

An "out there" idea is that before their time there was already a civilization of humans (or other beings) who advanced to such a point that a product of theirs (nuclear, experimental genetics, test tube babies, experiments with cures of viruses etc) got out of hand and destroyed them all and altered certain of the creatures of the time to have mutations.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:26 am

Or ... how about considering the evolution (or perhaps devolution) of such beasts. Consider that most of these beings are mash-ups, as it were, of several creatures; what if their ancestors were even more "mashed-up" i.e. that hippocampi might have had wings, a unicorn horn, and lions' teeth and claws, but as generations came along, they got more specialized, and thus differentiated. As they differentiated, they also lost access to magic, until our poor benighted cows, horses, lions, etc now further e/de-volved, have hardly any magic at all.

Imagine, then, what the Ur-Beast must have looked like: Cthulhu, perhaps?
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Floridian Dream » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Bmat wrote:An "out there" idea is that before their time there was already a civilization of humans (or other beings) who advanced to such a point that a product of theirs (nuclear, experimental genetics, test tube babies, experiments with cures of viruses etc) got out of hand and destroyed them all and altered certain of the creatures of the time to have mutations.

An interesting idea; that might make the magical properties of the hybrid creatures more along the lines of psionic powers.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Floridian Dream » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Asp Zelazny wrote:Or ... how about considering the evolution (or perhaps devolution) of such beasts. Consider that most of these beings are mash-ups, as it were, of several creatures; what if their ancestors were even more "mashed-up" i.e. that hippocampi might have had wings, a unicorn horn, and lions' teeth and claws, but as generations came along, they got more specialized, and thus differentiated. As they differentiated, they also lost access to magic, until our poor benighted cows, horses, lions, etc now further e/de-volved, have hardly any magic at all.

Imagine, then, what the Ur-Beast must have looked like: Cthulhu, perhaps?

That's another interesting concept. It's almost like the judo-christian concept of everything degrading with every generation.

I did, of course, have another concept in which there are deities that I've inspired off the constellations (e.g. Draco, Cancer, Ursa Major/Minor), who created the beasts of Earth in their own imagine—the vulpine constellation created foxes, the ursine constellation created bears, the avian constellations created birds, and so on…

I also picture that the hybrid creatures might be demi gods of a sort, being the product of a union between a mortal creature and a constellation deity, which would explain the magical properties of the hybrid creatures.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Return to Suggestions and Ideas