speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

A Matter of Life and Death

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

A Matter of Life and Death

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Don't be alarmed by the title it is writing related.

Writing a fantasy based story and trying to put an original spin on the old Greek Fates theory. Right now I've only made it to there is a set of male twins and that's it lol.

Anyone got any ideas?
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: A Matter of Life and Death

Postby Bmat » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 am

The only idea I have off hand is that they are time travelers, and what seems as fate to others is just their foreknowledge of what happens. This could even be revealed at the very end of the story or in a postscript.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 am

Male twins: Romulus and Remus?

Or a take-off on that -- separated at birth, one is raised (as tradition has it) by wolves, the other by unicorns.
Fates intervene to restore the well-known mythic timeline, but what about Rome would be different, given the unicorn influence?
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:43 pm

Not dealing with Rome but I catch your drift. It's my fault for being vague on my last post so please forgive me. I'm mainly trying to flesh out the deciding who lives and who dies or why. I know the God of death will decide 'non essential' beings but the more important too history will be left to these two twins. I just don't want to use the thread cutting idea. Although back story isn't a bad idea for later stories that is
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 am

I was thinking a fountain pouring golden water into a wash basin that never overflows. The water would obviously signify the life force and the basin and fountain the individual and their importance. If they make the decision it's time for the individual to die they would either stop the fountain from pouring or break the basin.

Another one I was tossing around was an hour glass but I feel it's been overdone too.

A dnd friend of mine had a stain glass window idea but I've not given it too much thought on how it would work

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Return to Suggestions and Ideas