speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Creature Classification

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Creature Classification

Postby Floridian Dream » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Well, I think I've figured out a little on how the hybrid creatures in my Equinostalgia (or Mythostalgia as I'm alternatively calling it) story: it kind of goes along the lines of a demi god heritage, in which deities that had shaped the creatures of the Earth in their own image have mated with theirs and each other's creations (e.g. the pegasus and hippalectryon are born from the god of birds mating with a mortal horse).

I imagine that there are many kinds of these hybrid creatures (or Mystics as I'm calling them), but that out of all of them there are six Primary races, each one divided into several variations of which I plan to organize into a classification list. So far, I've succeeded with the Equine race, as you'll see in the list below.

▪ Ceroequines (Horned horses):
⁃ Unicorn
⁃ Hippocervus
⁃ Pyrassoupi

▪ Pteroequines (Winged horses):
⁃ Pegasus
⁃ Hippogriff
⁃ Hippalectryon

▪ Campoequines (Sea Horses):
⁃ Hippocampus
⁃ Kelpie
⁃ Each-uisge

▪ Centaurs:
⁃ Centaur
⁃ Onocentaur
⁃ Nuckelavee

▪ Satyrs:
⁃ Satyr
⁃ Hippopod
⁃ Tikbalang

▪ Chimeroequines (Horses in between categories):
⁃ Alicorn
⁃ Icthyocentaur
⁃ Pterocentaur

One thing I struggle with is classifying dragons such as the traditional western and eastern dragon, the quetzalcoatl, salamander, hydra, etc.

Any suggestions?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Re: Creature Classification

Postby Asp Zelazny » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Eastern and Western dragons seems like a given; you could develop a Northern (ie Ice-accomodated, hoarfrost dragon group) and Southern (where you could include quetzacoatl, salamadri, palolokanti, etc). Sea dragons are a separate category, I'd assume. Classification could alternately be by "aspect" -- hoarder, magic-driven, hyper-intelligent, magnanimous, diabolical, etc.

Just some suggestions for a start.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Floridian Dream » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:29 am

Asp Zelazny wrote:Eastern and Western dragons seems like a given; you could develop a Northern (ie Ice-accomodated, hoarfrost dragon group) and Southern (where you could include quetzacoatl, salamadri, palolokanti, etc). Sea dragons are a separate category, I'd assume. Classification could alternately be by "aspect" -- hoarder, magic-driven, hyper-intelligent, magnanimous, diabolical, etc.

Just some suggestions for a start.

Good ones, indeed, and very well appreciated, but I was thinking along the lines of physiological characteristics. For example, putting the wyvern and the cockatrice in one class because they have wings and two legs (I guess lindworms could fit in there somehow).

But now, I'm not too sure about the whole classification concept altogether. I mean, the whole reason I'm doing this is for an MLP:FIM-esque "Alicorn effect" in which a member of a certain race, upon elevation into a godlike being, gets transformed into something that holds all the characteristics of every variation within its race.

To explain further, in MLP:FIM you have four races of pony; you have the basal Earth Ponies, the winged Pegasi, the horned Unicorns, and the all powerful Alicorns, which are basically unicorns with wings. Alicorns aside, there are three variations of the pony race, each one with its own unique trait, whereas the Alicorn holds the traits of all the other three variations. Alicorns apparently aren't born, they are made; a pony starts out as either an Earth-Pony, a Pegasus, or a Unicorn, but when they reach a certain enlightenment on friendship, they become elevated into the godlike Alicorn.

I thought of doing the same thing for the Equines, Dragons, Lions, Birds, and Humanoids in my story, but perhaps to make things more original (and to relieve the stress of having to classify ever variation of hybrid creature), I'm now thinking of finding another way to mark a godlike being; perhaps a halo (as cliche as it may seem) or a star-shaped tattoo would do the job.

What do you think?
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Postby Bmat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 am

I am curious: when the creature is elevated and holds all the traits, is there a penalty for this- loss of identity perhaps?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Floridian Dream » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Bmat wrote:I am curious: when the creature is elevated and holds all the traits, is there a penalty for this- loss of identity perhaps?

To be honest, I hadn't thought of that. But I think you'll find in my reply above that I'm thinking of discarding the concept of "holding all traits" and you'll see why.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Return to Suggestions and Ideas