speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The External Ones

Have a great idea you want to kick around? Let's hear about it!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The External Ones

Postby Floridian Dream » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Holding a strong sense of inspiration from H. P. Lovecraft, I'd been thinking of writing some stories involving beings that exist beyond the confines of space, time, and laws of physics and may or may not possess the ability to warp/manipulate matter and energy (and possibly time and space). They look down upon our puny universe of three spatial dimensions and one temporal dimension and from time to time "mess around with it"—for lack of better words—either for benevolent purposes or just for their own amusement, depending on the individual being.

Many of the inhabitants of our aforementioned universe revere these beings as gods, and some of the latter (i.e. the beings who are regarded as gods) more or less directly advertise themselves as such, often interbreeding with the locals and producing demigod offspring that serve as mediators between us "mortals" and the "gods", teaching the gospel of the gods and conveying their will. As to what we could do for the gods that would be of any value to them I'm not quite sure, unless any of you have any suggestions.

Sometimes there are a few Flatland vibes as these beings attempt to teach of the greater macrocosm beyond reality as we can perceive it.

Does any of this seem a bit too much like a rip-off of Lovecraft's Outer Gods, or is it okay so long as it's a completely separate pantheon from the Outer Gods (with whom they most likely have no connection with) that has its own unique title and unique characters? I've wanted to do stories involving forces from a greater macrocosm outside space, time, and laws of physics, but do any of you think that what I'm currently trying to work with is a bit too cliche? Please give me your thoughts on this.
Floridian Dream
New User
New User

Re: The External Ones

Postby Bmat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:59 am

It also reminds me of Zelazny's Amber series, where the main characters have the ability to manipulate through universes. (Excellent series that I haven't read for a while and must read again soon.)

But this doesn't mean you shouldn't follow your own take. I love a good multidimensional story and find them most intriguing. Go for it! :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Suggestions and Ideas