speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Chuck Henry and the Secret Cargo

Share your genre short stories with our readers and get feedback on your work.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Chuck Henry and the Secret Cargo

Postby Bmat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 am

No wonder I like it, then, The Thin Man, and sequels are some of my favorites.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby samaulle_esun » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, the dialogue does have a harrison ford ring to it.
Your friendly resident schizophrenic
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Boikat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:18 pm

[align=center]Chuck Henry and the Secret Cargo[/align]

[align=center](Then, this happened..)[/align]

"Sundown." Chuck looked at his watch. "Plenty of time. Have your guys load the cargo.. How much does it weigh, anyway? I'm going to need to know so I can figure fuel..."

The Lieutenant opened his note book again and flipped a few pages. "735 pounds."

Chuck opened his desk drawer and pulled out an aviation slide ruler and after sliding things around a bit said, "You called it right. Full tanks, your cargo, your guys, Jamaica. We got about four hours 'til sunset, so I'll start fueling, do my preflight, and send Jimmy into the village to pick up some lunch meat and a couple of bags of ice for the cooler. But first, I'm going to the radio hut to get a weather report. I wouldn't want to..."

He was interrupted by the Captain pulling out two sheets of folded paper from a pocket and placing them on the desk in front of Chuck. Chuck picked the papers up and unfolded them. One was a grainy image, no doubt obtained by satellite, the other was a weather report for the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.

"Ah." said Chuck. "Nothing but the odd afternoon pop-up storms over the islands."

"We'll go ahead and load the cargo then" said the Colonel.

Chuck nodded, then stood up. "Ready, hup!"

Outside the Ops Shack, Chuck turned left and the officers turned right. Going around the corner, then to the back of the building, he climbed into the cab of a battered and rusting Ford truck with a one thousand gallon tank bolted to the bed frame. Pumping the gas pedal and pressing the started caused the beast to gasp, groan, and finally start with a bang and an uneasy rumble. Chuck grabbed the brake lever, and disengaged and eased it into first gear and let off the clutch. The truck lurched forward. Pulling around the hut, he passed the guards as they marched towards the Condor. In front of them, the middle truck was already next to the aircraft. Chucked nursed the fuel truck up to the left wing and put it into neutral and set the brake. Climbing out of the cab and along the truck bed he pulled out a long rubber hose and jumped onto the wing. On the wing, he walked over to the fuel cap, unscrewed it, stuck the end of the hose into the opening, walked back over the wing, hopped back onto the truck and flipped the switch to the electric pump. There was no sound. Reaching down, he picked up a ball-peen hammer, and hit the pump, which then started to purr.

Meanwhile, the Gi's arrived, and with military precision, climbed into the truck holding the "bomb", and eased it out of the covered truck. They paired off, and for all the world looked like they were unloading a casket. The crate was about 8 feet long, and three feet square on the ends. As Chuck watched from his vantage point he could not help but think to himself, "Yup. It's a bomb."

He still was not sure if he felt better with that or the Colonels outlandish "thing from the future" story.

After the cargo was stowed, the GI's loaded their gear, then stood at ease as the officers talked amongst themselves off to the side. After about twenty minutes, Chuck heard a gurgling come from the fuel tank, and tried to turn off the pump. It kept purring and pumping. Hefting the hammer, he whacked it again, and it stopped pumping.

"Interesting technique, you have there."

Looking down he saw Captain Jones.

"Yeah. Works every time." said Chuck. Shaking the fuel out of the hose as he pulled it out of the tank, he said, "One thing that is still bothering me though. What if you 'people' in Cuba mess up?"

"Then things could get messy. But we do have a contingency, just in case. But I can't go into that."

Chuck shrugged. They heard a "ding ding" and looked up. Jimmy had returned on a bicycle with Chuck's old canvas duffel bag slung across her back.

Dumping the bike, she walked towards the open cargo hatch and when she reached it, two of the GI's stepped forward and offered to help her up. She smiled at them, and unslung the duffel bag and handed it to one of the solders, and accepted the hand of the other, who helped her into the hatch. The other handed her the duffel bag and she nodded a "Thanks" to the two. "Hey!" she called over to where Chuck was coiling up the rubber fuel hose. Chuck looked up. "Is Gentlemen." she said, pointing at the two. Then she stuck he tongue out at Chuck.

"After what happened to Airman... Smith..., I imagine they would be." said the Captain.

Chuck shrugged. "Her last job was on a tramp steamer. One day a few of the other crew decided to have a little 'fun' with her. The skipper and first mate saved her, then taught her some moves. The skipper and the first mate were both um-teenth level martial arts guys, so Jimmy can handle just about anyone."

The side window of the cockpit opened and Jimmy stuck her head though the opening, "Preflight?"

Chuck gave her a 'thumbs up', "Si!"

Jimmy returned the hand signal and ducked back inside. Turning back to the Captain, he said, "It'd save some time if I could borrow one of your trucks to fetch the vittles.."

The Captain nodded, "Sure. Take one of the guys with you if you need some help, too. I thought you were going to preflight and send her to pick up supplies?"

"Thanks" he said as he hopped off the Ford. "Slight change of plans, I guess. I'll just park this embarrassment behind the Ops Hut.." he said as he climbed back into the cab. The starter whined and the engine sputtered back to reluctant life, and Chuck coaxed it into motion again then drove back to the hut.

Captain Jones went to the Colonel, the Colonel nodded, and motioned one of the GI's over, and shortly after that, the truck that had held the cargo crate stopped in front of the ops hut and picked up Chuck.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Boikat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:44 pm

The truck came to a stop about half a mile from the small air strip. It was a small shack made of plywood from shipping crates with a canvas roof. At the sound of the truck stopping, the top half of a Dutch door opened, and the owner leaned out.

"I'ya Mr. 'enry. On a cargo run?" he called out as Chuck climbed out of the trucks cab.

Chuck nodded, "Hi Willy! Yup! Long haul, too. I might just clean you out of lunch meat and beer."

The man in the door laughed, "You might at that! I'm down to two cases of Miller and one case of Bush. Delivery tomorrow, if you can wait..."

"Nope, leaving at dusk.."

"Oi! One of those cargo runs.." said the man with a wink.

"Nah, just have to have the cargo some place at a certain time. I'll take the Miller. What kind of lunch meat you got? Any turkey or smoked ham?"

Willy turned around an opened one of three refrigerators. "Got turkey. Got ham."

"Two pounds of each and two loaves of bread. Four bags of 'tater chips, while your at it."

The GI had shown up with the cooler that had been tossed in the back of the truck. Chuck took it from the solder and handed it to Willy. Willy opened a chest freezer and used a scoop to dump some Ice in the bottom of the cooler, then four six-packs of the Miller beer, then the two pounds of lunch meat, then another layer of ice. Then he popped open a paper sack and put two loaves of bread into it.

After that, he turned back to the door, "That'll be..." Willy scribbled some figures on a note pad, "..about five dollars. Sounds right."

"Tab me."

Willy nodded, "Your tab's about up to twenty dollars. You gonna pay up when you get back?"

The GI hoisted the chest and carried it back to the truck. "Yup, and maybe even buy you another 'fridge so you can keep more beer on hand."

Willy chuckled at that. It was the same thing Chuck had always said after getting supplies and before leaving on a long haul that was supposed to pay well. Meanwhile, the GI had also returned and Willy handed him the remaining case and a half of Miller beer.

"Take care, Willy!" Chuck said with a half salute, and climbed back into the truck.

The ride back to the strip was made in silence, just as the trip to the shop had been. Chuck figured that the soldiers involved in the shipment were trained to be quiet, just in case they might accidentally let something slip. But the trip did give Chuck some time to ponder for a bit. If it were a bomb, why was it being flown south? All the atomic bomb tests were conducted in the Pacific, and the Air Force never resorted to civilian transport.

Of course the "gizmo from the future" was crock.

Chuck, knowing a bit about how the military operated, wondered if he would ever really find out what the cargo actually consisted of.

They arrived back at the air field with about half an hour of sunlight left. As they drove up to the Condor, Chuck saw Jimmy shining a flashlight up into one of the dear wells as she continued with the pre-flight. Lax as Chuck was in a laid back kind of way, one think he did not cut corners on was the pre-flight check, which was something he made sure that Jimmy understood as well.

Once the truck was stopped, Chuck climbed out and went to the back and grabbed the cooler and the GI grabbed the beer and bread. As Chuck put them onto the cargo deck of the condor, he noticed that the solders had apparently also loaded another smaller crate and their gear.

"Won't be long now." said Colonel Jones from his seat in the lawn chair that was still under the wing.

"Nope. Not long at all."

The Colonel opened a small brief case and pulled out a sheet of paper then got up and went over to where Chuck was standing. "Flight plans."
Last edited by Boikat on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Qray » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:34 pm

I like it, BK. I'm big on comas myself. :mrgreen:

One thing, why would the military monkeys divulge so much information (as the cargo being from the "future,") to Chuck right away?

samaulle_esun wrote:Have we had any of the frequent members succeed in publishing a book yet Qray??

Yes, we have a few published members here. Some, like Gary, make the fact known while others have not. So I respect their privacy on the matter.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Boikat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Qray wrote:I like it, BK. I'm big on comas myself. :mrgreen:

One thing, why would the military monkeys divulge so much information (as the cargo being from the "future,") to Chuck right away?

There's an underlying current of desperation that I haven't made clear yet. I probably should have tossed in a few "nervous glances" and have the guards a bit more edgy, along with a quick and heated debate, or two (off to the side where Chuck couldn't hear them) between the three officers about how much to let anyone in on.

Or, that could have been "spin" just to make Chuck think the cargo is a nuke of some sort. After all, "gizmo from the future" was (obviously) crock." Or was it? :wink:
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Oooooh, I'm getting into this story of yours Boikat!! And...yeah it is from the future! I hope. LOL
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Boikat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:18 pm

[align=center]( "And so it begins" )[/align]

Chuck looked at the offered paper, then back up at the Colonel without taking the paper. "You said something about ten grand, up front."

The colonel nodded, and pulled a thick envelope from his briefcase and held it out. Chuck took it, opened it, blinked, dug a thumb into the envelope and flipped through the stack of bills. "I'm still not crazy about flying over Cuba." said Chuck.

"We are in a hurry. There are other ..forces.. at play."

"Oh, now that just sounds melodramatic. Commies?"

"If that makes you feel better, yes. The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming." Said the colonel in a dead-pan."Actually, there are some..factors.. that make the Russians look like a good deal. But I can't go into that."

As if to emphasize the point, the sound of a large explosion rocked the Condor and those standing around. Looking to where the sound came from, they saw a billowing fireball of flame and black smoke coming from the direction of the small sea port.

The Colonel looked at Chuck. "We have to leave now!"

Chuck looked up at the nose of the Condor. Jimmy's head was poking out of the pilot's side window, looking at the growing tower of smoke.

"Jimmy!"

She looked down, her eyes still wide from surprise.

"Spin 'em up!" Chuck yelled as he made a spinning motion with his right hand and index finger.

"Si!" she said and ducked back inside.

"Everyone in!" Chuck yelled as the number one engine began to crank. But he didn't have to bother, as he watched the GI's and the three officers climbed into the still open cargo hatch. Chuck ran to the open hatch, jumped in, then hit the "close" switch. Slowly it began to close as the number one engine caught. A soon as it was shut, Chuck ran towards the cockpit yelling "Strap in!" as he went.

By the time he got to the cockpit, Jimmy had both engines started and was setting the flaps and turning on various avionics systems from the co-pilot's seat. Chuck jumped into the Pilots seat, did a quick control check, then kicked off the toe-brakes and throttled up. Jimmy happened to glace up, "Mr. Henry!!" and pointed.

Chuck looked up and saw a battered truck, one he'd seen used a a general purpose truck at the docks, careening down the road and headed in their direction. On back, several people were standing, and it looked like they were armed. Chuck pushed the throttles full on, and used to rudders to aim the Condor down the air strip. The twin engines roared and the cargo plane surged forward. Behind it, the truck fell in behind, and the men on back of the truck started shooting at the aircraft.

Inside, Chuck heard a rattling noise as bullets hit the relatively thin skin of the condor and rattled around inside. The military men ducked and covered their heads. "Oh great!" said Chuck.

One of the GI's risked opening his duffel bag, and after fishing around, pulled out a case about the size of a shoe box. Opening it, he pulled out two hand grenades. He elbowed the GI next to him, who nodded in silent agreement. The two got up and ran to the rear passenger hatch. The second GI grabbed the hatch lever, and waited. The first pulled the pins of the grenades, then nodded. The hatch opened. The GI with the grenades jumped out, and the second GI closed and latched the hatch.

A warning light lit on the Caution panel. Chuck glanced at it, then back into the cargo section just in time to see the GI jump out. "What the devil...?"

Then he was drawn back to flying as the Condor began to buffet in the "in-between" of rolling on the ground and lifting off. Chuck heard two dull "Thuds!" and just as the Condor lifted off, he was able to bank slightly and look back. There was a cloud of smoke, a wrecked truck, seven or eight bodies lay scattered.

"Christ!" said Chuck. Looking at Jimmy, he said "Go around." as he made a circling motion with his hand.

"Si, Mr Henry." Chuck let go of the yoke and stowed the column, then climbed out of the seat and went aft.

The others were clustered at the windows too. As the craft banked and turned, they could see the wreckage an the bodies again. One was clearly separated from the truck wreckage, and as Chuck watched, he saw it move, stand up, and after a second or two, appeared to be throwing a salute and a wave in the direction of the Condor. The Gi's cheered.

"Leave it to Gunny Spencer to pull that kind of stunt." said the Colonel over Chuck's shoulder.

"Gunny?" I thought you guys were Air Force?" said Chuck.

"The GI's are a mix. You've heard of 'The best of the best'? Some are Air Force, some are Navy, Army and Marines."

Chuck rolled his eyes. "Special Ops? You got me involved in a Special Ops operation?"

"Very special." said the Colonel.

"And now, you're going to tell me what's really going on, then?"

"No." said the Colonel. "Head for Nassau at 5000 feet." He said, holding out the flight plan again. Henry took it, glanced at it, then headed back to the cockpit.

On the ground, Gunnery Sargent Will Spencer watched the Condor bank just after takeoff. Pulling himself to his feet, and glancing around to see if anyone from the truck survived, he let out a sigh of relief. Looking back at the Condor, he threw up a salute and waved, then watched as the aircraft "waggled" it's wings, showing him they had seen him. Bruised and battered from hitting the ground at about seventy or eighty miles per hour, and with a sharp pain that felt like a branding iron on his left calf from a bullet graze, Gunny Spence wondered how late the local bar would be open, and began limping off in the direction to the small village near the port, which now had a tower of smoke to mark it's location.
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Boikat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:10 am

Chuck climbed back into the pilot's seat, and looked at the paper again, shook his head and took hold of the control column. Jimmy let go and turned to check the fuel guages and engine instruments. Meanwhile, Chuck banked again so the Condor would circle around for one last look. Chuck wanted to see what had exploded at the port. When the port came into view, he saw that the fuel depot had apparently been the source of the fireball.

"¿Qué ahora?" asked Jimmy

"Climb to 5000, heading due South, Nassau." said Chuck. "Do you hear a whistling noise?"

"¿Qué?" asked Jimmy.

"Take over. 5000, due south." said Chuck as he climbed out of the seat.

"Si."

Chuck made his way back to the cargo section, "Anyone hurt?" he asked.

"No. We're good. I think your bird has a few holes in it, though." said the Colonel, pointing at a few places where the fading daylight shined through the aft part of the hold.

"That explains The Condor's whistle.." said Chuck.

One of the guards said, "I thought this was a Curtis Commando.."

"Yes. But I call her 'The Condor'. Big. Ugly. Almost extinct." said Chuck as he walked towards the bullet holes. He happened to look down as he passed the crate.

"Looks like The Condor's not the only thing with holes in it."

The three officers jumped up and moved to see where Chuck was pointing. There were two holes in the back of the crate.

"Colonel, we're going to have to open the crate and check the device for damage." said the Captain.

"The 'device'?" asked Chuck.

"Yes." said the Colonel. Gesturing back to the cockpit, "If you please..."

It didn't sound like a request. "Okay. But if that bomb is about to go 'Poof!', I want to be the first to know. In the mean time, Nassau in about thirty minutes."

After Chuck left, the Captain and the Lieutenant unclasped two latches and slowly opened the top of the crate. Inside, nestled in a cushion of foam rubber blocks lay a cylindrical object that glistened with chrome and glass. A bluish light radiated from the glass which was located at one end of the cylinder. The Colonel and the Captain examined the end near where two bullets had penetrated the crate.

"I don't see any damage.." said the Captain.

"Me neither." said the Colonel. "Button it back up."

Back in the cockpit, Jimmy said, "I don' tiene gusto de esto."

"Me neither." Said Chuck. After checking the altitude and heading, and fine tuning the attitude trim, Chuck engaged the Automatic Pilot. Looking out the cockpit window, he saw clouds on the horizon. Probably the last fading remnants of afternoon storms that were common this time of year. Pointing, he said, "Ummm.. Perro.... de la... historieta"

Jimmy looked at the cloud Chuck was pointing at, tilted her head slightly, "No. Is fluffy...toy dragoon."

"Where see dragon? Is perro. Dog."

"Head, wings...cola..tail." insisted Jimmy, as she pointed at various parts of the cloud.

The Colonel poked his head into the cockpit. "Cargo's safe. Just wanted to put you at ease. No 'Poof!'."

"If you really wanted me to be at ease, you'd tell me what's in the box." said Chuck as he kept examining the cloud. "I just don't see a dragon."

"Is dragoon, obviamente!" insisted Jimmy.

The Colonel looked out the window. "It's my mother-in-law. Big nose, hair tied up in a bun, big ears." Then he turned and left the cockpit.

Chuck and Jimmy looked at each other, then back at the cloud, and both tilted their heads to the left, then to the right.

"Hmmm, I can almost..." said Chuck.

"Veo la nariz grande, perro…" said Jimmy. "No, is dog!"

"Dragoon!" said Chuck.

Then Chuck noticed something else, flashes of lightning below the clouds. He turned and yelled back to the Colonel, "I hope you have a plan "B"..."

In a second, the Colonel reappeared. "Why?"

"Jimmy, contact Nassau, get a weather report." Turning towards the Colonel, he said, "We left in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't get a chance to get any weather reports." Nodding out the cockpit window, he continued. "Looks like we're in for a rough ride, unless you got an alternate route.."

"Can we make it to Nassau?"

Before he could answer, Jimmy said, "Tormenta tropical, huracán posible... Lluvia pesada y relámpago"

"What'd she say?" asked the Colonel.

Chuck looked at the Colonel. "You didn't hear the word 'hurricane'?"

The Commando rocked slightly, causing Chuck to turn and grab the yoke. "Turbulence. Tell everyone to strap in. We should make Nassau.."

"Yes, but the plan was to do a touch and go, then resume south at 500 feet.." said the Colonel.

"Mother Nature just trumped that, unless you want me to turn around and we try after the storm passes."

The Colonel thought for a few second, "What's the service ceiling of a Commando?"

"Just under 30,000. But we're light, so I might get 32, 33 out of her. Oops! One thing though."

"What's that?" asked the Colonel.

"The bad guys poked several holes in the tail section, so anything over 25,000 is out of the question."

The cockpit was filled with a blue flash of light. "I think the storm is moving North, very fast, and we're headed South, very fast. You'd better make a decision before we run into each other." said Chuck.

Jimmy interrupted, "Perdió la señal de radio!"

"Que?"

"Lost radio!" Jimmy repeated.

Chuck looked at the Colonel. "I take that as a bad sign. You?"

Another flash of lightning filled the cockpit, followed by several more. Chuck didn't wait for the Colonel to make a decision, and dipped the right wing and pulled a hard right bank. "I've never seen a storm move this fast, we're heading back." Again, the aircraft shuddered as it hit more rough air. The Colonel had to grab hold of the bulkhead behind Chuck. The turbulence did not die down as it had before.

A voice from the cargo hold yelled, "Colonel! Somethings happening!"

The Colonel twisted around and saw blue light shining along the seam of the crates lid. It was getting brighter. Lightning filled the area, and when the flash died down, the Colonel noticed that the light from the crate was brighter.

"It must be absorbing power from the storm!" yelled the Captain.

"What's absorbing power?" asked Chuck as another flash filled the cockpit.

If the Colonel had planned on answering, it was cut of by a hum that quickly built up until everyones ears began to hurt, and then there was another flash outside the Condor, but it was not lightning. Chuck caught a glimpse of a blue whirlpool of light, then another flash...

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Boikat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:12 pm

[align=center](The First Incarnation)[/align]

Chuck blinked and tried to focus his eyes on the instruments. From what he could see, which was very little, and very blurry, The Condor was flying backwards, and rolling, plus flipping end over end. None of which made any sense.

Jimmy was sitting with her eyes closed, and was saying, "Juro en mi mother' el sepulcro de s, no más de vodka y el rootbeer flotan mezcladores!"

In the cargo section, the military personnel were also fighting disorientation, temporary blindness, and more disorientation.

Just as suddenly as it had appeared, the blue glare disappeared leaving everyone recovering. Most came out of it slowly, like waking up, but Chuck was brought to a quicker recovery by the sounds of the engines dying with a "Putt-putt...putt.."

"Jimmy, restart the engines! Ummm... recomience los motores!"

"Si!" She said as she felt around, "¡Tan pronto como pueda encontrarlos!"

Chucks vision began to finally clear, "Hey! I'm starting to see again!" He blinked a few more times, "Now that's odd... Where'd the ocean go?"

A blinking Jimmy said, "¿Qué?"

"We're over land, not the ocean!" said Chuck as he looked around. Below, the land was flat and dotted with isolated trees in a sea of tan grasses. "This looks more like Africa. The savannas. But how...?" Chuck stopped, and then slowly turned around and looked into the cargo section. The GI's were still in various states of recovery. "Colonel! Get up here! You've got some 'splainin' to do" he said in his best Desi Arnes imitation.

The Colonel staggered forward, "What?"

"Look outside, and you tell me!" said Chuck, as Jimmy tried to start the engines. Chuck kept the nose slightly down to keep up airspeed, and the number one engine started to crank and sputter. Jimmy adjusted the mixture, and the engine continued to not start, and finally let out a loud bang as it backfired once, then sputtered to life.

"Numeral uno!" She said.

Leaving Jimmy to manage the throttle for number two as she tried to start it, Chuck looked at the Colonel again, "Well?"

"Honestly, we didn't, and probably still don't, know what that thing is." said the Colonel in a matter of fact kind of voice.

"Well, it did something, and we're some place else from where we were. I think we've doubled our 'question quota' for the day."

The number two engine coughed and sputtered, then it too, let out a loud backfire and started. Chuck balanced them then said to Jimmy, "Check the radio, scan for a station, any station. Let's see if we can figure out where we are."

Jimmy nodded then put on the headsets and adjusted the frequency knob. After a few moments, she said, "Estático. Nada pero parásitos atmosféricos."

A voice from the cargo section called out, "Colonel, Mr. Henry! Look to port, about 10 o'clock!"

Looking left, Chuck saw something on the horizon, and instantly banked left. "I don't believe it! How?"

In less than a minute, The Condor flew over the rusting hulk of a large ship that appeared to have hundreds of, if not over a thousand or so, semi tractor trailers stacked on its deck. The ship was relatively huge, too. Chuck estimated that it was between 750 to 1000 feet long. It was listing slightly to the right and several of the trailers had fallen off and lay scattered on the ground.

Chuck slowly turned and look at the Colonel. "I have a feeling you're about to tell me a very interesting story.."
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:46 am

Great job!!!!!! Though I find the spanish distracting. Can't wait to see what happens next!!! :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Boikat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 am

Ariel wrote:Great job!!!!!! Though I find the spanish distracting.

"Welcome to the Caribbean, Love."

"Recepción al Caribe, mi amigo!" :P

Thats part of it. Jimmy doesn't speak much English, and Chuck doesn't speak much Spanish, and each is determined that the other will learn his or her language. It's sort of a friendly battle between the two.

That, and I didn't want to fill Jimmy's dialogue with a lot of broken English. Viva la Bablefish!

Can't wait to see what happens next!!! :D

Me neither. The possibilities are almost endless... :)
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to SF/F Short Stories and Novel Excerpts