speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Chaos Universe

Share your genre short stories with our readers and get feedback on your work.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Chaos Universe

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:10 pm

6000 words should take around 24 minutes to read. Please be honest with me. Have at it people.

Chapter I

Every time it's the same thing. I can feel the cool Alaskan air whipped my hair around. I had always preferred taking my short pony tail down as I stood on the rock cliff overlooking the river valley below. The river snaked through the lush green forest valley below like a crystal blue vein of life waking the world up. The snow had melted months ago ushering in the green that so many enjoyed. Bear stood on a rock sticking his nose into a waterfall hoping to wrap his jaws around the salmon coming down stream. Progress in the late twenty first century saved nearly all endangered species on the planet. I can see moose herd move in between the woods and the river bank watching for predators as they came out to drink from the crisp river. A couple of Osprey circled overhead waiting for a fish to surface enough for them to make a move. The scene before my eyes always calmed me to the point I eased myself down sitting with my elbows resting on my knee. It always amazed me how cloths had changed but the vintage jeans from the twentieth and twenty first century were the most comfortable. I can hear the river from this high up. The wind and the water worked in perfect harmony like a orchestra in a opera house. I close my eyes each time as I time my breathing to the water making myself one with nature's concert. Something was off today the leaves in the wind sounds off key it sounds and feels stronger forced even. I open my eyes too see a orange red cloud descending from the heavens. They had come, they had come to one of the most remote places on Earth.
The Krovesh had landed on Earth it was supposed to be a glorious day for our planet. Than came the Terracore miner. A large beam burst from the ships bottom. It was a massive beam of fire and light later I learned it was actually a huge plasma and sound wave generator designed to cut through the vibrating tectonic plates easier, the miner was rumored to have enough power too generate more heat than the sun herself. This gave the miner the alias of The Nova Reaper. I stood straight up just to get thrown back by the black cloud of debris that started five miles away at the point of impact. The shock wave was unbelievable powerful as it forced me too stay on the ground. I could hear the Nova charging up as the plasma continued to cut deeper. As the whine got higher I cover my ears with my hands hoping too block out the noise but the frequency got too high and made the inside of my head hurt so much I couldn't scream. Forcing my eyes open I could see rocks start levitating in the air in the core of the blast. Even from this distance the gravity change could be felt trying to pull me in. The sound stopped followed by a loud yell as the Nova let loose it's fury on our precious Earth.
Even from my distance I could tell the blast was close too a mile and a half wide and the heat felt like it was going to melt my skin from my bones. Our Earth was not so lucky as the colossal plasma torch sliced through her skin ripping a hole in her. A third blast shook the rock I kneeled upon with my ears in my hands with tears welling up in the corner of my eyes. A different frequency made my head start hurting as the Nova began rotating and blue plasma much hotter than the primary orange began circling the outside. My teeth felt like they were breaking and my skull made me wish it would crush or explode to relieve the pressure that built as the weapon picked up speed as it rotated and showed signs of charging once again. Just as the weapon released a shimmer rippled across the hulls shield gathering the energy from wherever the Nova could get it. The release sounded like a nuclear bomb going off as a thin cylinder of pure white light of the purest heat cut through the center of the Nova's blast empowering the fury of the Krovesh. As the last phase exploded into the Earth's rocky skin debris blasted up some levitating and the heavier debris the size of mountains blasting off into chaos. The shockwave rivaled the most violent of earthquakes and the black dust blotted out the sun and crystal blue sky. The very force of it slung me back violently shoving a broken oak limb through my left shoulder. I don't remember how in the hell I got that stick out of my body but it did leave the memory of pain.
The violent shaking made getting to my feet hard but as the Nova slowed down I regained my footing once more. The miner was barely visible as a thin orange cylinder of orange plasma. The ship stayed over the massive hole in the Earth as if waiting. After three slanted obelisk protracting from the bottom hull, the ship began to hum making me feel it in my chest. The shield the protected the hull from attack blinked out and the thrusters that kept the vessel in place seemed to dim making the Krovesh miner descend a bit before a series of blue lights blinked out as well. Plasma gathered at the end of each obelisk that arced across to the other creating a X in the middle. A loud Thumm sounded as the Nova released its fury cutting deeper towards the Earth's core. Once again I was slung back violently and blinded by the pure light the Nova a Reaper released. I was forced to cover my face with my arms as debris rained down on me.
Once the raining rocks stopped I got back to my feet too peer through the white light. What looked like a large metal sheath began emerging from the ship engulfing the plasma cutter. On the end of the sheath was another ring of light. From my vantage I could only make out a thin blue light of what I assumed was some kind of energy. As the sheath engulfed the plasma and locked onto the doorway into Earth's heart the miner began recharging once more too begin cutting once more. As the Nova released again a scream from the deepest pit in my stomach felt like it tore a whole threw my throat as it escaped into existence.
The alarm that sounded seemed out of place. The constant whirling and rotating red light made my eyes hurt even as they were closed. They say that when you're in stasis you dream the most beautiful dream that keeps going. I don't believe it, I believe you relive your most powerful memory with an emotion that your whole being is set upon. Each time the memory ends it starts off new just as vivid as if you were there reliving it. I tried screaming but the blue liquid in the stasis cell only muffled it. A jolt of electricity coursed through the liquid everyone affectionately called God Juice which was a mix of different nutrients the body needed and was designed to work in the oxygen as needed to keep the brain functioning. It was theorized that a human being could stay alive indefinitely in one of the stasis cells. To my knowledge no person alive had tried.
The next jolt was coupled by the depressurization of the tube like cell than the unceremonious evacuation of myself and the blue liquid. The grey metal floor was cold and inviting even with the mess my stasis cell had made. My lungs labored with expelling the God Juice from my body along with any other content that was unlucky enough to be in my stomach. My first try to get too my feet only found myself face down as my arms gave out and the room started spinning more. Taking the time to get my knees under me made more sense as they provided more support than outstretched arms. My vision still blurry and that blasted siren still going off made me close my eyes for a second to try and help. Opening my eyes again sent the world spinning and my stomach heaving once again. The only thing that kept me from falling over was the ship lurching me too one side were I caught a hold of the stasis cell for balance. Willing my eyes into focus I found the foot locker that held my belongings. I did not know how long I had been in stasis but I did know I did not want to find out naked. A simple tight sleeveless crimson red shirt with black cloth trousers and a black belt was in the locker. Dawning the cloths I laced up the black leather combat boots than dug into the foot locker deeper. My laser pistol still sat at the bottom next to an ancient blade I had found with the Atlantis ship. The blade a double edge and a slight curve towards the end and a triangle towards the bottom close too an extra guard just before the bluish alloy met the cross-guard. The hilt was made of the same colored if not same piece of alloy with a greenish color vein that was engraved in the hilt and continued into the blade in a precise geometric triangle in the same shape of the blade than continued in a line that stopped just short of the curve of the blade. I had always thought the engraving was a mineral all its own considering it appeared to go through the alloy in each side. The hilt had a rock as a pommel that could release leading me to think it was a battery of some sort. Even on the Atlantis's data base I could not find out what the stone was or what the sword's secret was. I hadn't had the time during my space travels, being in constant conflict with the Krovesh, before I had went into stasis. I just got the holstered pistol and sheathed blade belted around my waste when another boom shook the Atlas ship. My hearing picked up the alarm sounding in the hall.
'All military personnel report to your designated battle stations. All nonessential and science personnel report to the evacuation staging zones and await for further briefing.' That didn't sound good I thought as I turned to the door to leave. The door opened automatically at my approach. The hall way was a white metal with bright lights giving the effect of next to no shadows. I didn't see anyone making me think this section of the ship was for authorized personnel or was no longer in use. My memory still fuzzy I took the right fork of the hall at a brisk walk. The same announcement came through again than followed by different languages. The lights flickered as another boom sounded throughout the ship. A quick look at a wall monitor told me my suspicions.
The starboard side of the ship was flashing red and the shield meter was flashing fifteen percent. "Damn it." I figured as much, the Krovesh was doing their usual song and dance routine, firing than charging to hit us with an even stronger attack. A quick look at the monitor once again told me where I was at and where I needed to be. I broke into a run toward the launch bay my body fighting me with every step. My legs felt like they were moving through a frozen lake. I couldn't tell if I was making good time or not as my mind was still fighting through the stasis fog.
I nearly knocked down a man as he turned the corner forcing me too halt my progress. The man was clean shaven with a neat ear length black and grey hair cut. A fading scar ran the left side of his forehead and his nose was slightly crooked most likely being broke in some of his younger years. His fully collard black long sleeved shirt was fully buttoned to the neck with golden buttons. His matching pants and boots gave the man a very uniform and complete image. A golden globe medal with a silver eagle in the middle was pinned to his chest signifying he was an Earth admiral, not that it meant much anymore, that was descended if not from what was once the United States of America. A name tag reading Anderson was pinned just below it. I snapped too attention and raised my right hand to my forehead saluting properly. "I beg you forgiveness sir!"
"No need for that soldier." The admiral returned my salute. "At ease." I complied quickly than stood my hands clasped behind my back. The admiral held his left arm out that held a wrist terminal on it. A small screen popped out and he aimed the small eye on the back towards me. A few seconds later he replied. "Well it seems you have already awaken than."
"Yes sir."
"It would appear your stasis cell even in its prototype phase was equipped with a auto evacuation fail safe."
"Yes sir." I thought about the stasis I had just left. "What do you mean prototype?"
He hadn't taken my speaking out of line as a breech of protocol letting me breath easier. "It would appear that your stasis is over forty years old soldier." My look on my face was the only question he needed. "Now whether or not you were placed there forty years ago I do not know however I would think it is a safe bet."
Forty years did not sound right to me at all, but nothing else did either. The only thing I could remember was that damn memory that plagued me while I was 'asleep' and getting expelled into this chaos. "Am I still on the Atlas sir?"
"Yes soldier." The admiral said absently as he navigated through my file. His face only got more puzzled as he continued to scan and dig deeper. "The only name we have on file for you is Fate. It say you're a fighter pilot specializing in large ship assault. You also were the first successful pilot of the re-entry assault suits. The only record we seem to have of you is when they put you in stasis. If there is anything before that I do not know." The ship lurched again as another blast hit the Atlas.
I heard the distant sound of metal bending and the lights went out and the emergency back up lights came on soon after giving a orange glow to the hallways. "Sir is the Krovesh still calling for our extinction?"
"Who in the hell do you think is attacking us? Surely sixty years in stasis did not dull you that much?" Admiral Anderson said accusingly.
"Sixty years!" The news hit me like ice water making my heart skip a beat and my breath catch in my throat.
"Yes Fate. Your file says you were put on ice in GSY," I always hated that damned acronym for Galactic Standard Year, I always found it easier to just say year. Once us humans hit space we found that our bodies seemed to age at a slower pace without gravity wreaking havoc on our body and without a sun to sit and roast us. However it made telling time almost impossible so the academics on the ship Aedesia decided that a standard year in space would be two and a half years on Earth. I still didn't know why they would think that or even why I remembered something like that when I couldn't remember how I got in the stasis cell. Maybe the cell affected personal memory but not knowledge or the prototype had a hard time keeping my brain functioning at a hundred percent. "One hundred and sixty dash two dash two dash sixteen AE." The number behind the first dash was the ship's colony number and the last three digits were the month and the day of that month. Well at least they kept something from their destroyed home's calendar.
"Thank you for the briefing sir." I could hardly breath and it was only doubled as another blast shook the ship as the last of the shields disintegrated.
"We are out of time. The Krovesh have breeched the shield and possibly hull of the Atlas. Next they will cripple our radar and other defenses and try to board if they do not destroy us first." I followed the admiral as he took off at a brisk walk. Some things never changed the military was still slow to take action even when their ship was under attack. We stopped at a large double door that had been sealed shut and the admiral quickly typed in a code too open it.
As the admiral walked through the doors the loud metallic ripping sound started underneath us that quickly raced towards us. The admiral made short work getting to the next blast door twenty foot in front of us. I myself ducked around the door seal my back against the wall protecting myself from the depressurization of the hall. A monitor to my left let me know a temporary atmosphere had been formed to bridge the two Atlas sections. With my faulty memory I concluded it was just to hold the sections together but the gravity from the planet below that was pulling the Atlas closer had other plans. Just below the monitor was a small glass door compartment. A small face mask with a small oxygen cylinder on the nose waited for me to open its cage and free it. I made short work of strapping the personal oxygen mask onto my face and waited for the pressure to normalize. I could feel the gravity loosen its hold on me just enough to let me notice, a sure signal the bridge was failing.
While my feet still touched the floor I ran down the hall that I had just came through than turned on my heel and took off at a dead sprint. The more speed I got the lighter my body seemed and the less I liked my path. Just as I was ready too leap out the blast door one Krovesh fighter flew by. The trade mark half moon shape told me they were short range. No time to change my course I had no choice but to jump. The gap was much larger than I originally thought and it seemed like minute to me to even clear half of it. The Admiral had found his own mask and was hanging out the other door arm outstretched. I felt my body becoming lighter as the atmosphere was failing. Just as I felt my momentum coming to a halt the explosion from the one half of the ship behind me as a Krovesh fighter scored a devastating hit propelled my forward. Now I will never know how he did it or even why he would risk his life the way he did but Admiral Anderson managed to stay hanging out that door and grasped my athletic frame around my waste as I hit my mark like a out of control rock. My momentum took he and I both through the blast door. His hand had been on the door seal and spun us around behind the seal putting is out of the debris and explosions way. Out of reflex I hit the monitor next to me closing the blast door's shield.
"I should have stayed asleep." My voice made me seem more frustrated and exhausted than I actually was.
"Not an option soldier." Anderson's voice was stern and commanding. "The human race needs you Fate now let's get moving. We are not too far from the secondary launch bay."
I fell in behind the admiral *beep* my mouth in the process. I was never one to argue with a superior, once I got in the military that is. My body was finally waking up due too the extra pure oxygen the mask was pumping into my lungs. I no longer felt draggy and like I was moving through water. I suppose a jump between two pieces of spaceship will make every cell in your body overdose with adrenaline. The ship shook occasionally as Krovesh fighters fired upon the Atlas. The blast made the ship feel like the engineers had gotten some of the ship's shields back operational. We turned a corner and was met with four Atlas soldiers aiming rifles at us. My first reaction in closed quarters was to draw my sword and brush past the admiral who grabbed my free arm to stop me.
"Easy Fate they are on our side." The halt also halted my adrenaline based decisions. I sheathed my sword than removed my mask. I stepped in behind the admiral as he addressed the guards. "At ease men. I have retrieved the pilot from the stasis lock. Go tell Bryant to ready the suit for re-entry. Also brief Collins that the main targeting was destroyed on the back half of the Atlas so prep the rail gun. The Armageddon Initiative is in play."
That didn't sound good at all. I have been on ice for a little while but anytime armageddon is mentioned usually means things are very out of control. The grim look on the soldiers faces was all the answer I really needed. I didn't say a word as I followed Anderson into the second launch bay. The hold was barely big enough to house the operations that was going on, I don't know how anything would launch from here. The blast doors were closed at the far end of the hold. A group of soldiers maned a cluster of computers and what looked to be navigation scanners was housed in the West wall. Directly across from them on the East wall was a large group of scientist scrambling around what looked to be a closed stasis cell, but from my vantage I couldn't tell. The feeling was a tense defensive feel that made one feel like it was the last chance to save their life. For all I knew it could very well be judging by my limited information on the situation at hand.
"Go over there and get suited up." The admiral's statement brought me out of my thoughts as a saw him motion to the East wall. "I will be over after I am briefed."
As usual I obeyed and walked over to the busy scientist on the East wall. The men and women were darting about frantically all the while checking their wrist monitors and some other monitors that sat on the tables and desks. On one table an assortment of weaponry was neatly sorted in a line. I could point out a few but could only guess at the others figuring they came about in the years of my stasis sleep. I nearly ran into a short red haired woman as I looked over the assortment. She looked through her translucent screen that was showing my picture and what seemed like my file. Her eyes peered through her glasses as I tried to find words. As I began to apologize she interrupted me.
"Well it is nice to see you up Fate. Now let's begin. I've been monitoring your vitals for sometime now and I must say your time in the cell seemed to be a bit strenuous on your nervous system. You have no stats from before so that is what we calibrated the suit for, you must forgive us if your heart races at first." The woman made a follow me motion with her head as she turned. "The suit itself is a prototype from the time before your sleep began but the re-entry we have on file says it was a success and that you were the pilot."
"Than why was the recalibration necessary for my vitals?" This jump was not shaping up to be reckless to say the least.
"It would seem that the engineer lab from before was destroyed and all files on the prototype jump was destroyed right along with it. Our computer geeks were only able to gather the name of the pilot." We stopped in front of the stasis cell. "This Fate is Angel One, this prototype is and was the start of the Angels of Retribution Squadron."
The red metallic suit loosely resembled a man or a suit of armor. The crimson color matched the color of my uniform. The suit stood upright in the cell with large cables connecting to the shoulders hands and boots. The flawless transition between the seams of the boots and gauntlets was almost eerie. The face of it was just a slight outline of a face with no nose and what looked like a cowl coming over the main face piece. The eye slits glowed the same blue as my sword and looked to be the same material. The main face piece was a very dark crimson material that was almost black while the cowl was the same as the rest of the armor. The suit looked bulky and durable but sleek enough to match the speed of a fighter craft. Upon closer inspection the suit had a over lay of crimson metal over the same dark crimson as the face piece. The same bluish light seemed to course through it. The pattern repeated through the shoulders arms and legs. On the palms of the gloves was where the cables connected to the hands with a brass colored circular connection.
"Fate this is Phil Bryant. The engineer in charge of suit preparation." The woman stopped in front of a stalky built grey headed man standing next to the Angel One re-entry suit. "He will be covering your briefing from here."
"So this is the famous iceman?" The snarky comment nearly caused me to punch the man's comment back down his throat. "I hope your beauty rest didn't dull your comprehension ability." Bryant than turned to the cell and pulled a lever releasing the cables as the hatch opened. A mechanism pushed the Angel One slightly out of the stasis cell. "We have a crash course for you now pay attention. You will man the suit and jump out that hatch. I know it sounds simple but trust me things can go to hell faster than you can blink. Kinetatite placed through out the suit allows for heat energy to be transferred too the systems letting the Angel One be a self sustaining energy source as you are passing through the planet's atmosphere. Kinetatite placed in the palms and the boot souls has been negatively charged too make a propulsion system that can be used as a concussion based weapon. I recommend you use the hands as a first resort before you do the feet. The metallic mineral the suit is made of was mined from comets letting the pilot remain safe at maximum speed and heat. Life support is simple oxygen tanks support you through space and the kinetatite helps pull oxygen out of life giving atmosphere or even water if need be. Apparently you had the engineers put a sheath for your blade that runs the spine of the suit and a holster for your obsolete laser pistol there at the left hip. A simple guidance computer is installed to broadcast across the lenses of the eyes but a more in depth including course plotting and enemy position will be projected straight into your mind and let you see everything with your own eyes. The suit fits like a second skin and is foamed at strategic spots so the pilot will not get knocked around so much and may add a little comfort for the hard re-entries. Everything is thought or movement based so it reacts to your thoughts and sometimes faster than you can think of it. The suit also helps amplify your natural physical attributes and reflexes. Don't ask me how because I don't know. Now any questions before you get in?" Before I could answer Bryant started again. "Good now get your ass in there before the Krovesh decide this half of the Atlas is worth the fire power."
I bit my tongue and did as I was told. With the sound of releasing air the suit opened up through the middle of the arms, legs, torso and helmet giving me easy access. Taking my sword and gun off I stepped in and turned getting in position and the suit closed in on me. A short feeling of discomfort was followed by the sound of locking mechanisms and a bright light as the monitor lenses turned on showing me the outside. Bryant was right the suit was tight enough to be skin and added another seven inches on my height and around six inches on my width. The suit seemed to have its own breeze flowing through the suit making the inside pretty comfortable. Another discomforting feeling was followed by a device coming from my helmet and latching onto my ear.
"Just like home?" I was really getting tired of this smart ass. I turned the my head to put the man in my sights. "Now grab your weapons and we will continue your briefing. By the way your vitals are normal if you were wandering." The suit offered very little resistance as I began walking toward the table. The fluidity of the movement was surprising as the suit seemed like it had always been a part of me. I grabbed my sword and reached behind my back as a spot opened up from the spine and accepted the blade. Next I took my pistol and and placed it near my left hip a compartment on the thigh gave me a place to holster my weapon than closed hiding the gun. "Well it would seem it remembers your ancient weapons. Now if you relics will follow me to the table I will explain some of the tools you will require on your fall." We stopped just short of the table. He first grabbed a rifle and walked behind me. "This is a rifle based off a pulsar star. The science behind the pulsar stars are beyond you so just know this weapon fires a electromagnetic radiation blast that will disable computers and really piss off an enemy if the initial blast blast does not rip a hole in them. We are looking into designing tech like this for your thrusters." The suit seemed to open up another mechanism to cover the barrel and connect it on the right shoulder blade. Bryant walked back around to the table and took two solid silver spheres. "These my friend are nukes. Each one contains the blast power of three HiroJima bombs. With enough of these they will set a planets core into over drive a wreck the very foundation of tech tonic plates. We are going to give you four of them. Simulations show it will be enough too cause significant damage to the planet and destroy the Krovesh mining and hive operations and hopefully cripple them in this quadrant. Anderson will let you know more. Now I recommend you replace that archaic laser weapon with one of these highly advanced ones before you exit the Atlas." Bryant placed the four spheres on a small box compartment on my waist than turned a circular latch locking them in. "The nuke holder has the turning mechanism for easy release. The spring had come in handy in these times. A spring pushes them out after you turn the latch and a signal arms the nukes."
The last part worried me. "Won't I be in the blast zone?"
"That is your problem soldier." Bryant said laughing. "Now go talk to the admiral about your fate." The man smiled at his pun and I turned to find the admiral.
Another hull shaking blast let everyone know the Krovesh had not forgotten about us. The suit kept my balance and helped me pin point the admiral who was now running up toward me. "Good you are suited up. The Atlas is badly damaged the last one took out the shields and the eastern hull. Here is a trigger for the rail gun. We can not target the planet core due to the magnetism of the planet so we have tuned it in on the Angel One." The admiral threw his hand up in a comforting gesture as I took a step back. "If you time the shot right you will be on your way out of the planet as the rail gun hits the core where you will leave the nukes. If you are lucky the blast will act like a cannon and give you enough force to exit the planet's atmosphere on the other side. Unfortunately we do not believe the kinetatite will store enough energy for the exit. We have rigged a alarm for your helmet designating when the opportune time to fire the rail gun is. We have also rigged a nuclear device to be fired from the rail gun as well." The admiral and I stopped in front of the dock doors. "Sorry for you to have to deal with this after your nap but this jump may be the turning point for the war. When I open this door you will have seconds before you are off course and will have to correct your flight path with your thrusters due to the rotation of the Atlas. Remember no matter what those nukes have to go off in the core."
"What about the planet?"
"Simulations have showed the planet and it's inhabitants will survive. The blast is meant too cripple their mining operations and hopefully the radiation will poison the hive as they extract the minerals. At the very least it will keep the Krovesh from setting up shop on the planet again." The admiral pushed a button turning on the atmosphere shield. "There will be a transport ship on the other side if this is not a one way trip for you. The pilot is a old comrade of mine he has your orders for you." The admiral put his right had on a lever. "It's been a pleasure meeting you Fate now go and show the Krovesh what a Earth born can do." My salute felt awkward I had no idea what the suit made it look like but the admiral returned it with out any mockery or humor. "Make us proud soldier." Anderson pulled the lever and opened the blast door.
A sharp rush of air nearly took me out the door before the atmosphere shield locked everything in. The planet seemed it was above us and was covered with a orangish glow from the clouds with patches of blue spread randomly about. The most I could see was a large land mass that seemed a dark grey. The sight made me home sick for Earth which brought the memory to the forefront once more. The helmet computer had the window countdown going. With a deep breath I readied to jump out when another blast from a fighter hit the Atlas sending it rotating faster. The computer fought to get a flight plan ready as it was trying too recalibrate. Deciding it was now or never I waited for the planet to start coming back into view. With one last look at the crew I took a run and go towards the opened blast doors. As I crossed through the shield I took one last step than leapt into the oppressive silence of space.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Chaos Universe

Postby Bmat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 am

Your hook is good, I was interested and kept reading. I liked the juxtaposition of the serene wildlife against the vicious mining attack. The description of the violence went on just a little too long for my taste.

Major proofreading is needed.

In general the action moved along well.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:51 am

Ok. I figured it would need proofreading considering its a first draft. I was a little crunched on time last night when I posted it and didn't look to see if the paragraphs started or was even separated somehow lol. I will try to edit it tonight or some time this week to help it read a bit better.

Thank you for reading B
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Ooooh, started to read, but will read it tomorrow when I have more time over coffee. :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Talon Sinnah wrote:6000 words should take around 24 minutes to read. Please be honest with me. Have at it people.

Chapter I

Every time it's the same thing. I can feel the cool Alaskan air whipped my hair around. I had always preferred taking my short pony tail down as I stood on the rock cliff overlooking the river valley below. The river snaked through the lush green forest valley below like a crystal blue vein of life waking the world up. The snow had melted months ago ushering in the green that so many enjoyed. Bear stood on a rock sticking his nose into a waterfall hoping to wrap his jaws around the salmon coming down stream. Progress in the late twenty first century saved nearly all endangered species on the planet. I can see moose herd move in between the woods and the river bank watching for predators as they came out to drink from the crisp river. A couple of Osprey circled overhead waiting for a fish to surface enough for them to make a move. The scene before my eyes always calmed me to the point I eased myself down sitting with my elbows resting on my knee. It always amazed me how cloths had changed but the vintage jeans from the twentieth and twenty first century were the most comfortable. I can hear the river from this high up. The wind and the water worked in perfect harmony like a orchestra in a opera house. I close my eyes each time as I time my breathing to the water making myself one with nature's concert. Something was off today the leaves in the wind sounds off key it sounds and feels stronger forced even. I open my eyes too see a orange red cloud descending from the heavens. They had come, they had come to one of the most remote places on Earth.

The Krovesh had landed on Earth it was supposed to be a glorious day for our planet. Than came the Terracore miner. A large beam burst from the ships bottom. It was a massive beam of fire and light later I learned it was actually a huge plasma and sound wave generator designed to cut through the vibrating tectonic plates easier, the miner was rumored to have enough power too generate more heat than the sun herself. This gave the miner the alias of The Nova Reaper. I stood straight up just to get thrown back by the black cloud of debris that started five miles away at the point of impact. The shock wave was unbelievable powerful as it forced me too stay on the ground. I could hear the Nova charging up as the plasma continued to cut deeper. As the whine got higher I cover my ears with my hands hoping too block out the noise but the frequency got too high and made the inside of my head hurt so much I couldn't scream. Forcing my eyes open I could see rocks start levitating in the air in the core of the blast. Even from this distance the gravity change could be felt trying to pull me in. The sound stopped followed by a loud yell as the Nova let loose it's fury on our precious Earth.

Even from my distance I could tell the blast was close too a mile and a half wide and the heat felt like it was going to melt my skin from my bones. Our Earth was not so lucky as the colossal plasma torch sliced through her skin ripping a hole in her. A third blast shook the rock I kneeled upon with my ears in my hands with tears welling up in the corner of my eyes. A different frequency made my head start hurting as the Nova began rotating and blue plasma much hotter than the primary orange began circling the outside. My teeth felt like they were breaking and my skull made me wish it would crush or explode to relieve the pressure that built as the weapon picked up speed as it rotated and showed signs of charging once again. Just as the weapon released a shimmer rippled across the hulls shield gathering the energy from wherever the Nova could get it. The release sounded like a nuclear bomb going off as a thin cylinder of pure white light of the purest heat cut through the center of the Nova's blast empowering the fury of the Krovesh. As the last phase exploded into the Earth's rocky skin debris blasted up some levitating and the heavier debris the size of mountains blasting off into chaos. The shockwave rivaled the most violent of earthquakes and the black dust blotted out the sun and crystal blue sky. The very force of it slung me back violently shoving a broken oak limb through my left shoulder. I don't remember how in the hell I got that stick out of my body but it did leave the memory of pain.

The violent shaking made getting to my feet hard but as the Nova slowed down I regained my footing once more. The miner was barely visible as a thin orange cylinder of orange plasma. The ship stayed over the massive hole in the Earth as if waiting. After three slanted obelisk protracting from the bottom hull, the ship began to hum making me feel it in my chest. The shield the protected the hull from attack blinked out and the thrusters that kept the vessel in place seemed to dim making the Krovesh miner descend a bit before a series of blue lights blinked out as well. Plasma gathered at the end of each obelisk that arced across to the other creating a X in the middle. A loud Thumm sounded as the Nova released its fury cutting deeper towards the Earth's core. Once again I was slung back violently and blinded by the pure light the Nova a Reaper released. I was forced to cover my face with my arms as debris rained down on me.

Once the raining rocks stopped I got back to my feet too peer through the white light. What looked like a large metal sheath began emerging from the ship engulfing the plasma cutter. On the end of the sheath was another ring of light. From my vantage I could only make out a thin blue light of what I assumed was some kind of energy. As the sheath engulfed the plasma and locked onto the doorway into Earth's heart the miner began recharging once more too begin cutting once more. As the Nova released again a scream from the deepest pit in my stomach felt like it tore a whole threw my throat as it escaped into existence.

The alarm that sounded seemed out of place. The constant whirling and rotating red light made my eyes hurt even as they were closed. They say that when you're in stasis you dream the most beautiful dream that keeps going. I don't believe it, I believe you relive your most powerful memory with an emotion that your whole being is set upon. Each time the memory ends it starts off new just as vivid as if you were there reliving it. I tried screaming but the blue liquid in the stasis cell only muffled it. A jolt of electricity coursed through the liquid everyone affectionately called God Juice which was a mix of different nutrients the body needed and was designed to work in the oxygen as needed to keep the brain functioning. It was theorized that a human being could stay alive indefinitely in one of the stasis cells. To my knowledge no person alive had tried.

The next jolt was coupled by the depressurization of the tube like cell than the unceremonious evacuation of myself and the blue liquid. The grey metal floor was cold and inviting even with the mess my stasis cell had made. My lungs labored with expelling the God Juice from my body along with any other content that was unlucky enough to be in my stomach. My first try to get too my feet only found myself face down as my arms gave out and the room started spinning more. Taking the time to get my knees under me made more sense as they provided more support than outstretched arms. My vision still blurry and that blasted siren still going off made me close my eyes for a second to try and help. Opening my eyes again sent the world spinning and my stomach heaving once again. The only thing that kept me from falling over was the ship lurching me too one side were I caught a hold of the stasis cell for balance. Willing my eyes into focus I found the foot locker that held my belongings. I did not know how long I had been in stasis but I did know I did not want to find out naked. A simple tight sleeveless crimson red shirt with black cloth trousers and a black belt was in the locker. Dawning the cloths I laced up the black leather combat boots than dug into the foot locker deeper. My laser pistol still sat at the bottom next to an ancient blade I had found with the Atlantis ship. The blade a double edge and a slight curve towards the end and a triangle towards the bottom close too an extra guard just before the bluish alloy met the cross-guard. The hilt was made of the same colored if not same piece of alloy with a greenish color vein that was engraved in the hilt and continued into the blade in a precise geometric triangle in the same shape of the blade than continued in a line that stopped just short of the curve of the blade. I had always thought the engraving was a mineral all its own considering it appeared to go through the alloy in each side. The hilt had a rock as a pommel that could release leading me to think it was a battery of some sort. Even on the Atlantis's data base I could not find out what the stone was or what the sword's secret was. I hadn't had the time during my space travels, being in constant conflict with the Krovesh, before I had went into stasis. I just got the holstered pistol and sheathed blade belted around my waste when another boom shook the Atlas ship. My hearing picked up the alarm sounding in the hall.

'All military personnel report to your designated battle stations. All nonessential and science personnel report to the evacuation staging zones and await for further briefing.' That didn't sound good I thought as I turned to the door to leave. The door opened automatically at my approach. The hall way was a white metal with bright lights giving the effect of next to no shadows. I didn't see anyone making me think this section of the ship was for authorized personnel or was no longer in use. My memory still fuzzy I took the right fork of the hall at a brisk walk. The same announcement came through again than followed by different languages. The lights flickered as another boom sounded throughout the ship. A quick look at a wall monitor told me my suspicions.

The starboard side of the ship was flashing red and the shield meter was flashing fifteen percent. "Damn it." I figured as much, the Krovesh was doing their usual song and dance routine, firing than charging to hit us with an even stronger attack. A quick look at the monitor once again told me where I was at and where I needed to be. I broke into a run toward the launch bay my body fighting me with every step. My legs felt like they were moving through a frozen lake. I couldn't tell if I was making good time or not as my mind was still fighting through the stasis fog.

I nearly knocked down a man as he turned the corner forcing me too halt my progress. The man was clean shaven with a neat ear length black and grey hair cut. A fading scar ran the left side of his forehead and his nose was slightly crooked most likely being broke in some of his younger years. His fully collard black long sleeved shirt was fully buttoned to the neck with golden buttons. His matching pants and boots gave the man a very uniform and complete image. A golden globe medal with a silver eagle in the middle was pinned to his chest signifying he was an Earth admiral, not that it meant much anymore, that was descended if not from what was once the United States of America. A name tag reading Anderson was pinned just below it. I snapped too attention and raised my right hand to my forehead saluting properly. "I beg you forgiveness sir!"

"No need for that soldier." The admiral returned my salute. "At ease." I complied quickly than stood my hands clasped behind my back. The admiral held his left arm out that held a wrist terminal on it. A small screen popped out and he aimed the small eye on the back towards me. A few seconds later he replied. "Well it seems you have already awaken than."

"Yes sir."

"It would appear your stasis cell even in its prototype phase was equipped with a auto evacuation fail safe."

"Yes sir." I thought about the stasis I had just left. "What do you mean prototype?"

He hadn't taken my speaking out of line as a breech of protocol letting me breath easier. "It would appear that your stasis is over forty years old soldier." My look on my face was the only question he needed. "Now whether or not you were placed there forty years ago I do not know however I would think it is a safe bet."

Forty years did not sound right to me at all, but nothing else did either. The only thing I could remember was that damn memory that plagued me while I was 'asleep' and getting expelled into this chaos. "Am I still on the Atlas sir?"

"Yes soldier." The admiral said absently as he navigated through my file. His face only got more puzzled as he continued to scan and dig deeper. "The only name we have on file for you is Fate. It say you're a fighter pilot specializing in large ship assault. You also were the first successful pilot of the re-entry assault suits. The only record we seem to have of you is when they put you in stasis. If there is anything before that I do not know." The ship lurched again as another blast hit the Atlas.

I heard the distant sound of metal bending and the lights went out and the emergency back up lights came on soon after giving a orange glow to the hallways. "Sir is the Krovesh still calling for our extinction?"

"Who in the hell do you think is attacking us? Surely sixty years in stasis did not dull you that much?" Admiral Anderson said accusingly.

"Sixty years!" The news hit me like ice water making my heart skip a beat and my breath catch in my throat.

"Yes Fate. Your file says you were put on ice in GSY," I always hated that damned acronym for Galactic Standard Year, I always found it easier to just say year. Once us humans hit space we found that our bodies seemed to age at a slower pace without gravity wreaking havoc on our body and without a sun to sit and roast us. However it made telling time almost impossible so the academics on the ship Aedesia decided that a standard year in space would be two and a half years on Earth. I still didn't know why they would think that or even why I remembered something like that when I couldn't remember how I got in the stasis cell. Maybe the cell affected personal memory but not knowledge or the prototype had a hard time keeping my brain functioning at a hundred percent. "One hundred and sixty dash two dash two dash sixteen AE." The number behind the first dash was the ship's colony number and the last three digits were the month and the day of that month. Well at least they kept something from their destroyed home's calendar.

"Thank you for the briefing sir." I could hardly breath and it was only doubled as another blast shook the ship as the last of the shields disintegrated.

"We are out of time. The Krovesh have breeched the shield and possibly hull of the Atlas. Next they will cripple our radar and other defenses and try to board if they do not destroy us first." I followed the admiral as he took off at a brisk walk. Some things never changed the military was still slow to take action even when their ship was under attack. We stopped at a large double door that had been sealed shut and the admiral quickly typed in a code too open it.

As the admiral walked through the doors the loud metallic ripping sound started underneath us that quickly raced towards us. The admiral made short work getting to the next blast door twenty foot in front of us. I myself ducked around the door seal my back against the wall protecting myself from the depressurization of the hall. A monitor to my left let me know a temporary atmosphere had been formed to bridge the two Atlas sections. With my faulty memory I concluded it was just to hold the sections together but the gravity from the planet below that was pulling the Atlas closer had other plans. Just below the monitor was a small glass door compartment. A small face mask with a small oxygen cylinder on the nose waited for me to open its cage and free it. I made short work of strapping the personal oxygen mask onto my face and waited for the pressure to normalize. I could feel the gravity loosen its hold on me just enough to let me notice, a sure signal the bridge was failing.

While my feet still touched the floor I ran down the hall that I had just came through than turned on my heel and took off at a dead sprint. The more speed I got the lighter my body seemed and the less I liked my path. Just as I was ready too leap out the blast door one Krovesh fighter flew by. The trade mark half moon shape told me they were short range. No time to change my course I had no choice but to jump. The gap was much larger than I originally thought and it seemed like minute to me to even clear half of it. The Admiral had found his own mask and was hanging out the other door arm outstretched. I felt my body becoming lighter as the atmosphere was failing. Just as I felt my momentum coming to a halt the explosion from the one half of the ship behind me as a Krovesh fighter scored a devastating hit propelled my forward. Now I will never know how he did it or even why he would risk his life the way he did but Admiral Anderson managed to stay hanging out that door and grasped my athletic frame around my waste as I hit my mark like a out of control rock. My momentum took he and I both through the blast door. His hand had been on the door seal and spun us around behind the seal putting is out of the debris and explosions way. Out of reflex I hit the monitor next to me closing the blast door's shield.

"I should have stayed asleep." My voice made me seem more frustrated and exhausted than I actually was.

"Not an option soldier." Anderson's voice was stern and commanding. "The human race needs you Fate now let's get moving. We are not too far from the secondary launch bay."

I fell in behind the admiral *beep* my mouth in the process. I was never one to argue with a superior, once I got in the military that is. My body was finally waking up due too the extra pure oxygen the mask was pumping into my lungs. I no longer felt draggy and like I was moving through water. I suppose a jump between two pieces of spaceship will make every cell in your body overdose with adrenaline. The ship shook occasionally as Krovesh fighters fired upon the Atlas. The blast made the ship feel like the engineers had gotten some of the ship's shields back operational. We turned a corner and was met with four Atlas soldiers aiming rifles at us. My first reaction in closed quarters was to draw my sword and brush past the admiral who grabbed my free arm to stop me.

"Easy Fate they are on our side." The halt also halted my adrenaline based decisions. I sheathed my sword than removed my mask. I stepped in behind the admiral as he addressed the guards. "At ease men. I have retrieved the pilot from the stasis lock. Go tell Bryant to ready the suit for re-entry. Also brief Collins that the main targeting was destroyed on the back half of the Atlas so prep the rail gun. The Armageddon Initiative is in play."

That didn't sound good at all. I have been on ice for a little while but anytime armageddon is mentioned usually means things are very out of control. The grim look on the soldiers faces was all the answer I really needed. I didn't say a word as I followed Anderson into the second launch bay. The hold was barely big enough to house the operations that was going on, I don't know how anything would launch from here. The blast doors were closed at the far end of the hold. A group of soldiers maned a cluster of computers and what looked to be navigation scanners was housed in the West wall. Directly across from them on the East wall was a large group of scientist scrambling around what looked to be a closed stasis cell, but from my vantage I couldn't tell. The feeling was a tense defensive feel that made one feel like it was the last chance to save their life. For all I knew it could very well be judging by my limited information on the situation at hand.

"Go over there and get suited up." The admiral's statement brought me out of my thoughts as a saw him motion to the East wall. "I will be over after I am briefed."

As usual I obeyed and walked over to the busy scientist on the East wall. The men and women were darting about frantically all the while checking their wrist monitors and some other monitors that sat on the tables and desks. On one table an assortment of weaponry was neatly sorted in a line. I could point out a few but could only guess at the others figuring they came about in the years of my stasis sleep. I nearly ran into a short red haired woman as I looked over the assortment. She looked through her translucent screen that was showing my picture and what seemed like my file. Her eyes peered through her glasses as I tried to find words. As I began to apologize she interrupted me.

"Well it is nice to see you up Fate. Now let's begin. I've been monitoring your vitals for sometime now and I must say your time in the cell seemed to be a bit strenuous on your nervous system. You have no stats from before so that is what we calibrated the suit for, you must forgive us if your heart races at first." The woman made a follow me motion with her head as she turned. "The suit itself is a prototype from the time before your sleep began but the re-entry we have on file says it was a success and that you were the pilot."

"Than why was the recalibration necessary for my vitals?" This jump was not shaping up to be reckless to say the least.

"It would seem that the engineer lab from before was destroyed and all files on the prototype jump was destroyed right along with it. Our computer geeks were only able to gather the name of the pilot." We stopped in front of the stasis cell. "This Fate is Angel One, this prototype is and was the start of the Angels of Retribution Squadron."

The red metallic suit loosely resembled a man or a suit of armor. The crimson color matched the color of my uniform. The suit stood upright in the cell with large cables connecting to the shoulders hands and boots. The flawless transition between the seams of the boots and gauntlets was almost eerie. The face of it was just a slight outline of a face with no nose and what looked like a cowl coming over the main face piece. The eye slits glowed the same blue as my sword and looked to be the same material. The main face piece was a very dark crimson material that was almost black while the cowl was the same as the rest of the armor. The suit looked bulky and durable but sleek enough to match the speed of a fighter craft. Upon closer inspection the suit had a over lay of crimson metal over the same dark crimson as the face piece. The same bluish light seemed to course through it. The pattern repeated through the shoulders arms and legs. On the palms of the gloves was where the cables connected to the hands with a brass colored circular connection.

"Fate this is Phil Bryant. The engineer in charge of suit preparation." The woman stopped in front of a stalky built grey headed man standing next to the Angel One re-entry suit. "He will be covering your briefing from here."

"So this is the famous iceman?" The snarky comment nearly caused me to punch the man's comment back down his throat. "I hope your beauty rest didn't dull your comprehension ability." Bryant than turned to the cell and pulled a lever releasing the cables as the hatch opened. A mechanism pushed the Angel One slightly out of the stasis cell. "We have a crash course for you now pay attention. You will man the suit and jump out that hatch. I know it sounds simple but trust me things can go to hell faster than you can blink. Kinetatite placed through out the suit allows for heat energy to be transferred too the systems letting the Angel One be a self sustaining energy source as you are passing through the planet's atmosphere. Kinetatite placed in the palms and the boot souls has been negatively charged too make a propulsion system that can be used as a concussion based weapon. I recommend you use the hands as a first resort before you do the feet. The metallic mineral the suit is made of was mined from comets letting the pilot remain safe at maximum speed and heat. Life support is simple oxygen tanks support you through space and the kinetatite helps pull oxygen out of life giving atmosphere or even water if need be. Apparently you had the engineers put a sheath for your blade that runs the spine of the suit and a holster for your obsolete laser pistol there at the left hip. A simple guidance computer is installed to broadcast across the lenses of the eyes but a more in depth including course plotting and enemy position will be projected straight into your mind and let you see everything with your own eyes. The suit fits like a second skin and is foamed at strategic spots so the pilot will not get knocked around so much and may add a little comfort for the hard re-entries. Everything is thought or movement based so it reacts to your thoughts and sometimes faster than you can think of it. The suit also helps amplify your natural physical attributes and reflexes. Don't ask me how because I don't know. Now any questions before you get in?" Before I could answer Bryant started again. "Good now get your ass in there before the Krovesh decide this half of the Atlas is worth the fire power."

I bit my tongue and did as I was told. With the sound of releasing air the suit opened up through the middle of the arms, legs, torso and helmet giving me easy access. Taking my sword and gun off I stepped in and turned getting in position and the suit closed in on me. A short feeling of discomfort was followed by the sound of locking mechanisms and a bright light as the monitor lenses turned on showing me the outside. Bryant was right the suit was tight enough to be skin and added another seven inches on my height and around six inches on my width. The suit seemed to have its own breeze flowing through the suit making the inside pretty comfortable. Another discomforting feeling was followed by a device coming from my helmet and latching onto my ear.

"Just like home?" I was really getting tired of this smart ass. I turned my head to put the man in my sights. "Now grab your weapons and we will continue your briefing. By the way your vitals are normal if you were wandering." The suit offered very little resistance as I began walking toward the table. The fluidity of the movement was surprising as the suit seemed like it had always been a part of me. I grabbed my sword and reached behind my back as a spot opened up from the spine and accepted the blade. Next I took my pistol and and placed it near my left hip a compartment on the thigh gave me a place to holster my weapon than closed hiding the gun. "Well it would seem it remembers your ancient weapons. Now if you relics will follow me to the table I will explain some of the tools you will require on your fall." We stopped just short of the table. He first grabbed a rifle and walked behind me. "This is a rifle based off a pulsar star. The science behind the pulsar stars are beyond you so just know this weapon fires a electromagnetic radiation blast that will disable computers and really piss off an enemy if the initial blast blast does not rip a hole in them. We are looking into designing tech like this for your thrusters." The suit seemed to open up another mechanism to cover the barrel and connect it on the right shoulder blade. Bryant walked back around to the table and took two solid silver spheres. "These my friend are nukes. Each one contains the blast power of three HiroJima bombs. With enough of these they will set a planets core into over drive a wreck the very foundation of tech tonic plates. We are going to give you four of them. Simulations show it will be enough too cause significant damage to the planet and destroy the Krovesh mining and hive operations and hopefully cripple them in this quadrant. Anderson will let you know more. Now I recommend you replace that archaic laser weapon with one of these highly advanced ones before you exit the Atlas." Bryant placed the four spheres on a small box compartment on my waist than turned a circular latch locking them in. "The nuke holder has the turning mechanism for easy release. The spring had come in handy in these times. A spring pushes them out after you turn the latch and a signal arms the nukes."

The last part worried me. "Won't I be in the blast zone?"

"That is your problem soldier." Bryant said laughing. "Now go talk to the admiral about your fate." The man smiled at his pun and I turned to find the admiral.

Another hull shaking blast let everyone know the Krovesh had not forgotten about us. The suit kept my balance and helped me pin point the admiral who was now running up toward me. "Good you are suited up. The Atlas is badly damaged the last one took out the shields and the eastern hull. Here is a trigger for the rail gun. We can not target the planet core due to the magnetism of the planet so we have tuned it in on the Angel One." The admiral threw his hand up in a comforting gesture as I took a step back. "If you time the shot right you will be on your way out of the planet as the rail gun hits the core where you will leave the nukes. If you are lucky the blast will act like a cannon and give you enough force to exit the planet's atmosphere on the other side. Unfortunately we do not believe the kinetatite will store enough energy for the exit. We have rigged a alarm for your helmet designating when the opportune time to fire the rail gun is. We have also rigged a nuclear device to be fired from the rail gun as well." The admiral and I stopped in front of the dock doors. "Sorry for you to have to deal with this after your nap but this jump may be the turning point for the war. When I open this door you will have seconds before you are off course and will have to correct your flight path with your thrusters due to the rotation of the Atlas. Remember no matter what those nukes have to go off in the core."

"What about the planet?"

"Simulations have showed the planet and it's inhabitants will survive. The blast is meant too cripple their mining operations and hopefully the radiation will poison the hive as they extract the minerals. At the very least it will keep the Krovesh from setting up shop on the planet again." The admiral pushed a button turning on the atmosphere shield. "There will be a transport ship on the other side if this is not a one way trip for you. The pilot is a old comrade of mine he has your orders for you." The admiral put his right had on a lever. "It's been a pleasure meeting you Fate now go and show the Krovesh what a Earth born can do." My salute felt awkward I had no idea what the suit made it look like but the admiral returned it with out any mockery or humor. "Make us proud soldier." Anderson pulled the lever and opened the blast door.

A sharp rush of air nearly took me out the door before the atmosphere shield locked everything in. The planet seemed it was above us and was covered with a orangish glow from the clouds with patches of blue spread randomly about. The most I could see was a large land mass that seemed a dark grey. The sight made me home sick for Earth which brought the memory to the forefront once more. The helmet computer had the window countdown going. With a deep breath I readied to jump out when another blast from a fighter hit the Atlas sending it rotating faster. The computer fought to get a flight plan ready as it was trying too recalibrate. Deciding it was now or never I waited for the planet to start coming back into view. With one last look at the crew I took a run and go towards the opened blast doors. As I crossed through the shield I took one last step than leapt into the oppressive silence of space.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Sorry for the late editing on the paragraphs. Still not got around to proofing yet but it should be easier to read

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm

More story please. :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun May 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Will do. Proofreading a bit now. It's amazing how much you miss until you re read lol

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby RanryuBBack » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:23 am

When you going to post more Ol'Boy?
RanryuBBack
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:16 am

Whenever I can find the time lol. Long hours at work sucking my energy up

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby RanryuBBack » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 pm

That be life... lol. I haven't read any of your stories in years. I lost everything about Ranryu... Looks like time to start anew.
RanryuBBack
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 am

I understand that I've started rewriting one or two of mine to

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Next

Return to SF/F Short Stories and Novel Excerpts