speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Laughably Poorly Written Book Reviews.

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby aldan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:51 pm

Me, I'm not self-righteous... it's just that everyone else is less righteous than I am. Is that MY fault??

That was a very 'groos' couple of 'mistak's there, along with several others... but Magus is used to me catching them. For example, when speaking of multiple items, such as Florida schools, leave out the apostrophe unless you're speaking of multiple schools in possession of something about which you're speaking (in which case you'd move the apostrophe to follow the 's' on 'schools', ending up as "schools'" as in the example of "those schools' inadequacies". You'd put in the apostrophe where Magus did only if you're speaking of the possession of ONE school (example: "THAT school's inadequacies"). Oh, and 'profficient' should only have one 'f' in it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:53 am

:roll:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Brys » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:01 pm

There are so many poorly written amazon book reviews that it's not really worth putting any here. However, I would make a special mention for Harriet Klausner's reviews - it doesn't seem that there's anything wrong with them when you look at them. The grammar's fine, the spelling's all correct etc. They even have good English. But she hasn't ever given less than 4 stars in the 10,000 or so reviews that she has on amazon.com. And of course, it's blatently obvious in some of them she's just copied and pasted a synopsis for them.

This is what comes up when you look at all her reviews on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AFVQZQ8PW0L/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-8701922-9582452?%5Fencoding=UTF8

A page of straight 5*s.

An example of a recent fantasy novel (In the Eye of Heaven by David Keck - it seems pretty controversial. I've seen one very positive review of it, one neutral and one very negative review. Here's Klausner's take on it):
Durand considers himself lucky as a second son to gain the title and the lands of a widowed and childless knight in his father's barony. All his training has gone for naught when the dead knight's son makes his appearance leaving Durand with very few choices concerning his future. He decides to fight in a tournament in hopes of obtaining a place in a powerful lord's household. He joins the household of Lord Radomor, the son of the duke of Yrlac.

When Radomor learns he has been cuckolded, he locks his wife and her newborn child into a room without food or drink. Disgusted by this ugliness and wanting no part in the conspiracy to overthrow the king of the Errest and leaves to join the retinue of Lamoric the youngest son of the Duke of Abravanal. While traveling, they stumble into the otherworldly place where Durand wins a favor from THE LADY OF THE BOWER. When they enter the real world Lamoric and the man he fought in a tourney, Lord Moryn along with Durand join forces to prevent Radomor from stealing the crown through guile and treachery.

If Radomor takes the crown, the Banished led by the Son of Morningstar and his Host will gain a foothold in the kingdoms and that is something Durand and Lamoric will prevent at any cost. There are plenty of battle scenes, much political intrigue and a touch of magic in this excellent sword and sorcery fantasy. The characters are well developed especially Lamoric as a king Arthur archetype and Durand embodies the Sir Lancelot mythos. The audience will want more works starring this champion.

Harriet Klausner

Its really nothing more than a synopsis. I could have written that from the free sample chapter on the internet.
Brys
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:25 pm

:rofl:

Reminds me of when my English teacher last year "wrote" us a synopsis of The things They Carried and read it allowed to us. It was, word for word, exactly the same summery that was on the back of the book, which I know she didn't write. It was a miracle that noboy out-and-out laughed at her, but we were so desensatized to her antics by then that nobody really cared, except to point it out amongst ourselves.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby tricia.june » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 am

I thought the phrase "laughably poorly written" was pretty clever until I read the rest of the error-ridden post and realized that it had been composed with no hint of irony (well, no hint of intentional irony). Now I just feel kind of sad.
tricia.june
Just Registered
Just Registered

Previous

Return to Books and Authors