speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Time enough for love

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Time enough for love

Postby tiriel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:36 am

by Robert Heinlein.

wow, this is an amazing book! it rates up there with assassins apprentice for me. (it's better in ways, but i find that hard to admit)

It has a strange order to it, mostly because its written as a mock biography. i dint trust myself to review it, so here's a review lifted directly from some site. :lol: ((which i now have to edit and take out, sorry. copyright reasons))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Last edited by tiriel on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.
— Oscar Wilde
tiriel
New User
New User

Postby LightBrigade » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:29 pm

tiriel, thank you for the review! You said "it rates up there with assassins apprentice for me. (it's better in ways, but i find that hard to admit)".

I am terribly afraid I do not understand what exactly made you like the book. In what ways is it better? In what way is the story order strange? And how is that explained in a mock biography style?
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby tiriel » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:37 am

Last edited by tiriel on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.
— Oscar Wilde
tiriel
New User
New User

Postby tiriel » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:41 am

well i don't have the book here for reference, but this is basically the feel of the story.

it starts off with a foreword from "ira," Lazarus's' great great great (etc) grandson who has tracked Lazarus down so that his life story can be recorded.

It is a basically Utopian style way of living now, people go into clinics every hundred years or so to be revamped, interstellar travel has been made easy with the "Libby" drive, and artificial intelligence has reached its peak, one computer actually feeling love (Eros) for another being. Sexual polarity is no longer an issue, and amongst all this the senior, the oldest man alive, Lazarus, wants to die because there is nothing new; there's nothing he hasn't seen. He is bored.

Waking up in one of these clinics, he finds himself being convinced to live and to tell his story so it can be recorded by ira (who's the head of secundus) and his personal computer, Minerva.

The book itself cuts from story to story, braced equally with real life scenes, and progresses to a point where Lazarus decides to live after all, since he finds something new to live for.

The story's vary from child hood days; fictional characters of whom, from hints in the book, we conclude are actually Lazarus himself; to story's with time travel.

Then we get the famous--yes, i mean famous--notebooks of Lazarus long which have actually been made into a separate book, one in coffee table style.
here are some excerpts:

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.

If you don't like yourself, you can't like other people.

By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man -- man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him.

heres the site with all of them. they're so good http://www.bobgod.com/writer/lazaruslong.html

in essence, this book is one that purposely challenges many conventional ways of thinking. sexuality, war, love... (be prepare to cringe sometimes, this book brings up challenging concepts towards the end)

I hope this helps, lightbrigade. and regarding why i think it's better than assassins apprentice (i hope I'm not insulting a fan :P ) is because its a little more philosophical, and applicable to life, as well as its a great story. And i guess, in the end, its what I can use that ends up being what I like.
— Oscar Wilde
tiriel
New User
New User

Postby LightBrigade » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:45 am

It has indeed helped, tiriel! Thank you *s*

Now I am interested in the book.
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Books and Authors