Terry Brooks, The Shannara Series

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderator: Bmat

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Bread Butterbeard »

Talismans was the last of that set of books I think, And Pim,we will have to agree to disagree, while I concede the first half of Sword was nearly a copy of LOTR the rest was entirely his own, and besides even if you don't like Sword why not try one of the other books or one of his other series.

Of course that could be asking a lot of you if you believe he ripped of Lotr.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends

yarrow
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by yarrow »

I started reading Shannara when I was about 15 when my mom bought me the Scions Of Shannara for Christmas, and I have been an avid fan ever since.

In between waiting for the new novels in heretage of shannara series to come out I reasd the previous trilogy and fell in love with the world and the characters.

I felt that the voyage of the jerel shannara series and the High Druid series were not anyway as good as the original 2 arc's though.

I also read all the Word and Void series so am now really looking forward to the second book of the new arc bringing both series together.

There has been a lot of people dismiss Brooks for just being a rip off Tolkin, but if you really get into the Shannara series you find that there is a difference and the characters and stories are bound to you.

As a favorite I would have to say Elfstones of Shannara, but loves the Heritage of shannara series

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

I read the first four or five or six novels in the series, back when they were pretty new, but I did read the Tolkein stuff well before Brooks' novels, and I ended up stopping my perusal of the Shannara series because I just couldn't get past the fact that he did indeed 'borrow' so much from the master. So names have changed? The short guys don't live in hills? The sword's not named Sting? The Elfstones aren't rings? The human king of the kingdom that'd lost its king centuries before didn't have the same name as Tolkein's? Alanon's a druid, not a wizard like Gandalf? These are just a few of the things, but add to it all the different same monsters and whatnot and it just kept weighing me down.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

Hello all!

I thought Dennis L. McKiernan's Silver Call Duology was much more of an obvious rip-off of Tolkien. I believe that one (or the other series of his that came out around the same time) even had a monster (kraken?) in a lake beside an entrance to a tunnel complex. I recall thinking that it was a blatant rip-off of the Moria scenes. McKiernan definitely played the game of changing the names, but the situations remain the same.

I liked The Sword of Shannara when I read it years ago, but I noticed a lack of richness to the language as compared to Tolkien when I re-read it more recently. I do seem to recall enjoying that one the most out of the three that I read (whichever the consecutive three books are).

I believe you can pay homage to your influences without coming off as just rehashing their work, but it's a fine line between homage and blatant copying.

Just my opinion. As always, opinions differ.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.

The_Khan
VIP
VIP

Re:

Post by The_Khan »

I read the Shannara's when I was in High School and I enjoyed them very much. I noticed that there are some new ones out recently and I'm tempted to try them out as well ;)

spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by spknoevl »

I think Terry Brooks is one of the better writers out there for speculative fiction. The prose is rich and the stories and characters hold my interest.

I received the Sword of Shannara for my birthday back when I was 18, after having finished reading Lord of the Rings over the Christmas holidays. Strangely, I kept it and didn't actually read it until 20 years later. After that, I discovered there that he had written sequels, and ran out and read them all, as I have continued to do. Yes, there are similarities to LOTR in Sword, but I wouldn't call it a blatant rip-off. Tolkien was a student of medieval quest stories, and LOTR was very much based around those types of tales. There was little other fantasy fiction out at that time, and Tolkien has cast such a huge shadow over the genre. It's still the standard that everything is held against.

The later Shannara trilogies were a little disappointing. The last one especially. I've been enjoying Armaggedon's children so far. Just hoping the final book isn't a let down, like the 3rd book in the last series was.

brent.bennett
New User
New User

Post by brent.bennett »

The only one I havent read is the new series that bridges the World and Void Series to the Shannara Series. And I still need to read the Worldd and Void Series, so that I can read it. I'm about half way done with Running with the Demon and its really slow and boring so far.

I loved every book in the entirety of the Shannara series. I havent read LOTR yet so I have no opinion as to if I believe Brooks ripped LOTR.

spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by spknoevl »

I wouldn't say that Brooks copied Lord of the Rings, but since at the time it was just about the only fantasy fiction book out there, he was heavily influenced by it. For that matter, many writers are. It's probably the standard that all fantasy fiction is held up to.
There are some similarities between Sword of Shannara and LOTR. I think Brooks moved beyond them with his subsequent books and found his own stride.

BTW You really should read LOTR.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

I have read the first 6 books in Brooks' Shannara series, and had previously read Tolkein's series (all of it). In a lot of ways, it has seemed to me to be very closely tied to LOTR, but it does have quite a bit to recommend it. One thing that I like about it is... (this is a spoiler, so highlight below if you're interested in this)

...the fact that Brooks based his world on our own, in that the pre-history that he gives in those first couple of series hints very strongly at it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

spknoevl
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by spknoevl »

True, and the Armaggedon's Children series pretty much explains how the modern world becomes the world of the Shannara books.

dragon13writer
New User
New User

Post by dragon13writer »

I enjoyed the stories but I didn't read them, I borrowed them from the Library in audio form. I haven't gotten all the way through them yet. But I did read the Magic Kingdom books. I haven't read much of Tolkien either (just watched the movies) and i can say I liked Brooks writing style much better than Tolkien. Brooks kept me engaged while I got bored with Tolkien. I can't stand Steven Kings writing style either but I like his stories. Perhaps it's cuz I like 1st person much better than 3rd. I'm not sure. It didn't seem to bother me much reading the harry potter books.

I tend to write mostly in 1st person and present tense which bothers lots of people.

Amy
So many books, so little time.