speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Terry Brooks, The Shannara Series

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Terry Brooks, The Shannara Series

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri May 19, 2006 2:47 pm

Though I have the feeling there may not be to many people out here who likes his work I love it, is there any one else who has read the Shannara series and if so which was your fav. book?
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Dead_Technology » Fri May 19, 2006 10:17 pm

I read them when I was really young. My aunt bought me virtually the whole series. I loved them, but I stopped reading after about book 647. I don't know which book was my favorite, mostly because my memory of them has all run together, but I loved the ones with the druid Alanon in them, when he was still alive. I thought the magic system was really neat, what with the girl who carved her own staff to control her fire powers, and the wish stones. I think they were wish stones. All in all I loved it.
Dead_Technology
New User
New User

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Wed May 31, 2006 4:29 pm

I t did begin to repeat itself after a while but still he remains one of my fav authors.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Starfire » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:09 am

I really enjoyed the books. I read a few of them before reading Lord of the Rings. I did not see how many ideas he borrowed from Tolken. I had just read the Scions before my daughter was born. I plan to read the Druid of Shannara next. I guess I put it off because Walker Boh is one of my least favorate characters.
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby thegreentick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:02 pm

They are decent books. I like his other series' a lot more. Word Void and Landover. Elfstones of Shanarra was an excellent book. Definately the best in his Shanarra series.
"God is looking for spiritual fruits, not religious nuts."
thegreentick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LadyFlame » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:43 am

Since there are soooo many out there, which one is the first one best to start with??
I want to start reading the series and when I went to the book store, man, there were about 20 Shanarra ones in front of me and they weren't labeled 'Book 1'.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon

www.myspace.com/nanyanasummer
LadyFlame
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

The first book for the whole series is

Postby epicfantasy7 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:06 am

The first book is "The Sword of Shannara". This is where you should start. Although many years after this book he wrote a prequel that predates this in the Shannara timeline. It's called The First King of Shannara. But start with The sword of shannara - and its a great book!

I think there are fourteen books in the shannara series but I could be wrong. The shannara series is a set of sub series called :
The sword of shannara
The Heritage of Shannara
The Jerle Shannara
The High Druid of Shannara

Each one of these series has three or four books in it.

My favorite book is the first one in the series "The Sword of Shannara"
THis seems to be the case for me with almost every series I read. Im not sure if its because the first book is always the best one or if its because after having met the characters and the world the excitement wanes with subsequent books.
epicfantasy7
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Dunedain » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Ah, fond memories. If memory serves me right, the Shannara series was one of my first fantasy reads years ago. I remember being completely engrossed in the first trilogy, but I trailed off the series a bit after that. I've tried to get back into the series a few times (I own all the books), but just can't seem to get back into Brookes style of writing. It seems just a bit dry for me, ah well.
Dunedain
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Pigasus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:49 pm

I've not read it, but Brooks' new book, Armageddon's Children (out this month from Orbit) is a prequel to the Shannara series.
Pigasus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby FantasyMan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:55 pm

i have a friend who is reading "The elfstones of shannara" ill have to ask her about it
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby who me » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:00 am

pim makes retching sounds and strangles herself.
so i take it by your rather subtle hints you did not like it?
oh, you noticed?
smart ass.
i read "sword of shannara" after reading lord of the rings and thought it was a really bad plagiarism of lord of the rings.
used my copy as a door stop for a while.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby The Blind Guardian » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:57 pm

I read The Talismans of Shanara when I was 12 and thought it was a pretty decent book. I remember wondering a lot about its characters and plot; that's what happens when you start a series in the middle or end. I remember assuming that this was the last book in the series because of the fact that it DID have an ending. I don't know now which book in the series this is and furthermore, i learned a few years after I read it that what I read was the ABRIDGED version of the book. I felt cheated.

Remy/The Blind Guardian
Remy/The Blind Guardian
The Blind Guardian
New User
New User

Next

Return to Books and Authors