speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Which book...

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Which book...

Postby Utora » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:54 am

Which book (any genre) would you like to see on the big screen?
I think Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials Trilogy would be an interesting watch.
Utora
New User
New User

Postby Aslan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:22 am

Golden Compass is in the works.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/
:D
Aslan
New User
New User

Postby blaine » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:07 pm

Dave Duncan's book about king swordsmen. It will definitely look good on the big screen.

About what is the Phillip Pullman' trilogy about Dark Materials ? i saw it once in the library and this is my whole contact with these books . Mayby someone can tell more about it ?
blaine
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Alaskamatt17 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:42 pm

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series is a fantasy adventure about an alternate universe where people have animal counterparts called Daemons. It's been a long time since I read them, but I remember that in the first book the main character, Lyra, found a place where some people were experimenting on children by separating them from their daemons and watching them die or get really sick (both the children and the daemons). There was some sort of talking polar bear with armor made from a meteorite, and they could travel between worlds by going through the northern lights. I remember it being one of my favorite books in Junior High, but nowhere near as good as The Thief of Always. I would really like to see that as a movie, if it could be pulled off. But it would be so hard to capture the dark mood of the book on screen.

Another good choice for adaptation to film would be Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy. It's amazingly broad in scope, and the movie could be very cool.
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.
-Albert Einstein
Alaskamatt17
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Magus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:54 pm

I'd love to see The Dark Tower as a movie. But I'm worried about many things, the actual length of the texts not being the biggest issue. I'm just worried that it wouldn't translate well at all to the screen. A lot of it is so complex and so abstract that, even by the seventh book that I'm on, I still don't understand it. I know it, for there is much learned about it through the readings, but you really don't know or understand anything.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Utora » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:25 am

I'd go see Lynn Flewellings Tamir Triad if anyone decided to make movies out of those books.
Utora
New User
New User

Postby LightBrigade » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:25 pm

Oh, Utora, I read your initial suggestion but I did not know anything about the trilogy you mentioned. After Alaskamatt's remark, I decided it should be quite worth reading it. But before I find it, now I see you are setting me on fire again*sigh*

What is Tamir Triad about?
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Asp » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:25 pm

I'd like to see lots of books I like as movies, but I'd have to say that I'd most like to see John Varley's Demon trilogy (Titan, Wizard, Demon) most. I think it would have to be done as a computer animated movie though.
Asp
New User
New User

Postby ScottSF » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:45 pm

I would like to see Paradox, Context and Resolution by John Meany made into movies by Spielberg. Of course he's not one to do trilogies but after seeing A.I. and Minority Report, I know he would handle the material well.
Time flies like an Arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
ScottSF
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Baaljagg » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:58 am

i'd like to see Pratchett's books on the big screen :) i think they'd be awesome (and I mean the discworld series, I heard Johnny and the bomb wasn't really a good one)

i would also like and not like to see Malazan Empire on screen. I think the jokes and the fights would be awesome, but I'm just so scared about what would happen to the script ;( it's really just to complicated to put into pictures. so perhaps rather not...
"...and I am not yet done." --Itkovian
"You're disgusting." He paused. "Say some more disgusting things." --Imid Factallo
Baaljagg
New User
New User

Postby Brys » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:53 pm

Baaljagg wrote:i'd like to see Pratchett's books on the big screen :) i think they'd be awesome (and I mean the discworld series, I heard Johnny and the bomb wasn't really a good one)

i would also like and not like to see Malazan Empire on screen. I think the jokes and the fights would be awesome, but I'm just so scared about what would happen to the script ;( it's really just to complicated to put into pictures. so perhaps rather not...

Good news - Deadhouse Gates is being made into a film called "Chain of Dogs". Steven Erikson himself is writing the script. They haven't got to filming it yet, because they want to be sure they can keep it true to the books. The film will only focus on the Chain of Dogs storyline, and even with just that it's likely to be a long film.

Another series I think could work well on screen could be George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire - as long as he wrote the script, but he's had plenty of experience with television and film, so I think he could come up with something very good.
Brys
New User
New User

Postby Chuffy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:08 am

Hello people,
My first post on this new format forum.
I've always thought that Asimov's Foundation Series would make a great movie epic. Obviously it would need to be 4 or 5 separate movies but it would rival or even exceed the Star Wars Series IMO.
Chuffy
New User
New User

Next

Return to Books and Authors