speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire Series...

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire Series...

Postby TheLadyFlame » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Sooooo, sorry for the long one, but- I'm reading and 3/4 of the way thru book2-Clash of Kings, and is it me, or is it one of the most treacherous, most deceit filled, bloody, unbiasedly tragic series out there??
I got $150 worth of gift cards to Barnes & Noble (perfect gift for a bookworm!:study: ) and I bought all these books I've had my eye on and really wanted to get started on another.....and had already gotten about halfway into Clash of Kings....and I kind of had this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach with all the 'grit' in it...and I was describing all this stuff to my husband, about the deceit and incest and murder and treachery, and everyone thinking they owned the crown, and the mysteries and bits of darkness,ect, ect...and then I thought of all the characters and how curious I was to how things turn out, and Man....I just can't put it down!!!!! :smt119
It is so MEATY and you can't help but be curious...and Martin reveals a little bit of some other mystery that make me want to keep reading the series......
Has anyone else read this series?? I fear I am hooked!
TheLadyFlame

Postby Jagged » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:28 am

Oh, yes. It's my favorite fantasy series hands down. You don't catch everything on the first time around either. I have read AGOT about 4 times and each of the others 2 times. I like the fact that Martin doesn't pull any punches. Who pays for war the small folk and it's *beep* horrible. War is not some glorious thing filled with nobility, it's a bloody messy affair and no one wins.

Rheagar fought Honorably
Rheagar fought Nobly
Rheagar fought Valiantly
And Rheagar died.
Jagged
New User
New User

Postby who me » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:57 am

yes the first three books but they are hard to get hear and i would have to start over to remember what has happened.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:31 am

I myself haven't read them, haven't read much of anything, but if y'all recommend them then they must be worth giving a shot!
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jagged » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I must remember to censor my language around here. :) Sorry about that.
Jagged
New User
New User

Postby Violanthe » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:39 pm

I do quite enjoy this series. I think it's those dark aspects that make it truly engaging.
Violanthe
New User
New User

Return to Books and Authors