speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Madeleine L'Engle died September 6, 2007

Review books and discuss your favorite authors.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Madeleine L'Engle died September 6, 2007

Postby Bmat » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:40 pm

Madeleine L'Engle (writer) -- Dead. Died September 6, 2007. Born November 29, 1918. Won the Newbery Award for A Wrinkle in Time.

I never read Wrinkle in Time. I read that it is a story of a teenaged girl who travels through space and time with her brother. Has anyone here read it? Is it just for young people or would adults enjoy it?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Violanthe » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:44 pm

A Wrinkle in Time was my very favorite book as a child. I recently re-read it and was surprised at how well it held up. Of course, I also have fond memories of having read it so many times as a kid. But I think it's sophisticated enough to be enjoyable to an adult.
Violanthe
New User
New User

Postby RHFay » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:07 pm

I haven't read the book, but my daughter has, and she liked it. I think it would be of interest to adults as well as younger people.

The world of science fiction and fantasy literature seems to have lost a few rather famous authors recently. At least Madeline L'Engle's books will live on. They seem to have become classics.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:18 am

I'm afraid that, due to the fact that the 'golden age' was so long ago for SciFi, the trend will be continuing... which is distressing, to say the least.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby dragon13writer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 pm

I can truely say I absolutely loved her books. I can't say the same for the movie adaptation, it was missing some of the heart of the book. I say pick it up. You will enjoy it. I've even thought about re-reading it. So many books, so little time. :wink:
dragon13writer
New User
New User

Return to Books and Authors